Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Manjushri

Smartphone is too useful to quit but it affects my concentration

8 posts in this topic

I can see the quality of my meditation sessions decreasing when I use my phone. But it's too useful to quit. What probably makes me the most distracted is the freelance job feed... but i get real easy money with it. its the only 'scroll' and 'check often' type app i use. I sometimes get lower consc and check whatsapp often too... Wat do? 

Do meditation in the morning, before you do anything. You will be more focused.

Try to be aware of what's actually happening. Are you creating an addiction to whatsapp?

Also it's not that you get lower consciousness from whatsapp but more about what you're doing right now, in the moment. You should be conscious AT ALL times, when eating, when talking to friends, when doing anything, you should be completely aware of what is happening. The action isn't what causes the lower conscious but it is what you do that creates the lower. Question why your consciousness goes lower when looking at whatsapp?

Is your mind easily distracted? If so then question it, WHY. Is there something missing in your life?

You're not human, you're the universe

@Gligorije Cal Newport coined the term "Attention Residue" when you check your phone and then switch to doing another task. Basically what happens is you mind is still pre-occupied with the first task and cannot focus deeply on what it in front of you. 

I highly recommend turning your phone off and putting it in your closet for anywhere from 40 minutes to 4 hours based on how "bad" your addiction is.

Also check out Cal Newport on YT, his habit "Deep Work" is a must! 

@Shiva Facebook is not a problem. I open it once a day just to see messages and don't look back. I started college so I installed whatsapp to communicate easier with mates and I use it a lot :( that's the only time/consciousness sink app. It makes me restless and low consc. It can happen too from surfing, even tho I limit myself to surfing only with a purpose. 

Your Thoughts is the addiction that creates all other addictions. You value the thought, “I need to check the freelance job feed now” more than, “I am an elephant on a tight rope”. And because of that you are a slave to your own mind :) 

Love is the only answer, for it silences the mind of all thoughts. Learn about how to bring more Divine Love into your life.

Feel your hearts embrace of this moment of existence, and your love will awaken in everything you perceive ❤️ 

@Solace Metta Bhavana? What else? I get glimpses of immense love during tje day from just a 5 min metta. 

Set a limit like you can only look at your phone for 5 mins max every hour.  And keep a log of your time as well every hour.  Try to get everything done you need to get done in that 5 minute window every hour.  Now, if you take a call that doesn't count.  But just you surfing the phone, that's 5 minutes max every hour.  But you gotta keep a log or something to make yourself accountable to that.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor there are good apps. I limited social media to 10 mins a day, after that the app blocks it.  App Off Timer

Edited by Gligorije