F A B

Why do many love notes sound so needy?

9 posts in this topic

"I can't live without you"

"You are mine and only mine"

"Happiness is when I'm with you"

"Your love is all I need to feel complete"

"You are my forever"

I have never told these things to my girlfriend (she neither) and I'll never do it. I love her but this stuff sounds fake to me.

Of course, I'm happy when I'm with her, but I don't think I need her to be happy.

Of course, I want to stay with her, but I don't know whether this love will last forever or not...etc

Edited by F A B

Love can be a dangerous thing, an escape from your problems or a patch that one sticks over a bleeding, rotten wound thinking you fixed it but at some point, it's gonna come back and bite you. 

The other day I overheard a couple's argument in the subway around her being too "cheerful and chatty" with other people. She had to promise him never to do it again after which he went on talking about how much muscle he has gained lately in the gym and she had to appreciate it....though I would vomit on the floor right there.

Most relationships stem from neediness and horniness although it is possible to mature into a conscious and prosperous relationship as long as they are willing and able to work on themselves. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Because Western Romantic Love is highly neurotic. Notice how almost all of those sayings are about me me me and my personal happiness.

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

7 hours ago, F A B said:

I have never told these things to my girlfriend (she neither) and I'll never do it. I love her but this stuff sounds fake to me.

So why bring it up? I see two options:

1) you don't have this and want to be above it to justify not having it. 

2) you don't do this and your girlfriend is upset. 

I'm sure there are other explanations, but if it's not an issue why write about it?

@Telepresent

1) If my girlfriend told me this clingy stuff, it would be a turn-off for me

2) No, my girlfriend isn't upset.

I brought it up because I was looking for a cute message for her birthday and I saw on the internet those things that make me think.

because they are not love letters. they are just gratuitous displays of toxicity. 

unborn Truth

@F A B

Because it’s fake.

“I can’t live without you”? Lie.

”Your love is all I need to feel complete”? Lie.

If you listen to the mainstream definition of love, you’re going to have problems.

Maybe you are taking these things too literally?

They certainly can be signs of dependency, but I can also see another perspective of using such phrases as exaggerations to display emotion.

Obviously in personal development one will probably grow out of saying those things, but the severity of such expressions may not be as bad as one originally thinks.

Communication is really the only way there to get intent across.