Annoynymous

Conscious and subconscious mind

8 posts in this topic

@Leo Gura I have seen lot of your videos but didn't hear this thing about conscious and subconscious mind as they are mostly told in popular psychology. One common notion is that 90-95% of our activity is controlled by our subconscious mind of mostly which we are not aware of. What do you have to say about this topic?   

Edited by Annoynymous

The conscious mind is the EGO. Subconscious are those parts in the body system which if you conquer them and make them conscious, you awaken. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

@Annoynymous What do you have to say? 

(I'm not saying you're wrong - far from it - I'm just more interested in using this space to hear your ideas. Cos,let's face it, we've heard Leo's)

Edited by Telepresent

I would say that the theory of the subconsious mind is largely BS. Although highly prevelent in self help, Christianity, and mainstream psychology. And that it'd probably alienate the bulk of an audience to talk about it, in a mainstream productive way.

A short search on google, shows that many psychologists, gurus, Daoist or Zen Masters, often hold a unconscious theory of the mind, at least in part. People such as, Peter Ralston, Abraham Maslow, Carl Rogers & Eckhart Tolle. Whether a subconsious action would be more applicable after Enlightenment, or in mainstream self help, maybe. I think there can be an enomorus possiblity of getting lost in an unconscious theory (Zen, or Xen if you've played Half Life).

What I'm interested in is whether there are any good theories of a subconscious one? I can't seem to find any. I think it's probably beneficial in many ways if you don't hold the unconscious mind as actual.

What I have noticed though, is that people for the most part are heavily biased towards a subconscious interpretation of the mind. Christians due to Moral Responsibility (Freewill), Avowed Atheists tend to follow a behaivourist model (Determinism), also subconscious, except they tend to disown responsibility. Although they may also be an Atheist and accept freewill through Ayn Rand's Dogma or Adulterated Aristotlianism.

Taking the unconscious mind as actual I wonder what implications it really has? I doubt NLP and affirmations, have validity in that case.

Edited by RichardY

It's more like the subconscious mind is an "uncognized" aspect of our direct experience; as in we have hidden, unconscious beliefs, concepts, and assumptions all tugging on our attention, all directing our experience of life in various ways. The Book of Not Knowing by Peter Ralston goes into a lot of detail with this "uncognized" mind and how through contemplation, we can uncover hidden emotional, social, and self-survival programs, beliefs, assumptions, etc. we unknowingly walk around with. 

For example, let's take anger: often times people confuse certain circumstances as the cause of the emotion of anger, but if you look closely enough, you'll notice that external stimuli do not "cause" the emotions of anger - the circumstance and the emotions are quite distinct. We only assume that we "should be" angry at something, but WHY are we angry? Why do we equate external circumstance, X, with anger? So basically, start deeply contemplating your emotions, your self images, your beliefs and try to get at the root beliefs that you may be unconsiously walking around with. 

This is a pretty brief overview, and probably poorly worded, but hopefully it helps. There's definitely A LOT to this subject, and much I personally am still trying to learn and contemplate. 

8 hours ago, Telepresent said:

@Annoynymous What do you have to say? 

(I'm not saying you're wrong - far from it - I'm just more interested in using this space to hear your ideas. Cos,let's face it, we've heard Leo's)

I don't have much detailed idea about it. I have only seen some videos and did some web searches about sub conscious.

Well what I have known from that is that subconscious is way more powerful than our conscious mind. I almost controls much of our activities. But we are mostly unaware of it and about how powerful it is.

Also heard subconscious mind can be reprogrammed through daily affirmation to ourselves.

10 minutes ago, Consilience said:

It's more like the subconscious mind is an "uncognized" aspect of our direct experience; as in we have hidden, unconscious beliefs, concepts, and assumptions all tugging on our attention, all directing our experience of life in various ways. The Book of Not Knowing by Peter Ralston goes into a lot of detail with this "uncognized" mind and how through contemplation, we can uncover hidden emotional, social, and self-survival programs, beliefs, assumptions, etc. we unknowingly walk around with. 

For example, let's take anger: often times people confuse certain circumstances as the cause of the emotion of anger, but if you look closely enough, you'll notice that external stimuli do not "cause" the emotions of anger - the circumstance and the emotions are quite distinct. We only assume that we "should be" angry at something, but WHY are we angry? Why do we equate external circumstance, X, with anger? So basically, start deeply contemplating your emotions, your self images, your beliefs and try to get at the root beliefs that you may be unconsiously walking around with. 

This is a pretty brief overview, and probably poorly worded, but hopefully it helps. There's definitely A LOT to this subject, and much I personally am still trying to learn and contemplate. 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts 

1 hour ago, Consilience said:

He does use the term subconscious towards the end of the book. So I guess the "uncognized" aspect of our direct experience,  is a useful way of thinking about it. Subconscious perhaps being the progression aspect.

The contemplation is useful, as you can work through what something means to you.

I remember anger being touched on in Spinoza's "The Ethics" parts of which are similar to "The book of Not Knowing".

I think the overview is well worded. Mostly I'm trying to throttle more knowledge, I think "The Book of Not Knowing" is better than "The Ethics". Not sure what else would ape it. There is a lot out there on mind, consciousness and psychology. Will probably listen to more of Leo's Books on Scribd. But also to other author's like Montaigne and Jung. There's a lot out there to fillet, or consume a few whole. Still oportunity cost, but boggling how 10,000 hours can be spent on one PC Game like Crusader Kings. I have Steam(gaming platform) so can see the hours people expend.

I would definitely re-listen to The Book of Not Knowing. Probably multiple times, and then read and disect it thoroughly.

Edited by RichardY