Shroomdoctor

Oats

12 posts in this topic

The thing most often heard around here concerning diet is to not eat wheat. Do oats also fall into that bad category? I wanted to research the specific reasons why people think that wheat is bad soon and read "grain brain" but that question just fell into my mind.

Unlike many flour products such as pastries, bread, some cereals etc... oat are considered a wholegrain. The difference between standard grain products and wholegrain is the processing of the plant. Wholegrains have not been heat processed hence they retain the original structure, the core of the seed is untouched and the ensymes have not been destroyed yet. 

Processed wheat that has been powdered into flour has been stripped of all the nutrients and is left out with allergenic protein gluten but unfortunatelly the ensyme that halps to process the gluten is gone so some people react (Coeliacs). Not everybody reacts to this though and for those with no gluten sensitivity (from what I've read so far) there is no big issue. 

However another side of nutrition claims that all grains are inflammatory and acidic, hard on gut endothelium (gut wall), hard on digestion and taxing on pancreas. Probably true on the acidic part but we have multiple buffering systems in the body that regulate the PH, contrary to popular beliefs, the blood does not get acidic unless something is very very....very wrong -> than you're pretty much one leg in grave. 

Another argument is that because wholegrains are so difficult to digest, a lot of them is left by the time they reach large intestine (colon) hence they feed your "good bacteria", the microflora which is super important for healthy immune system. 

So I guess as long as you don't suffer mayor digestive or intestinal issue or an autoimmune disease that could have been caused by leaky gut or collitis, you should be quite fine to eat wholegrains and processed grains (in smaller amounts) likewise :) ..not sure that answers your question

Edit -> also legumes and seeds are considered grains in some literature and those are definitely good as long as they are prepared correctly 

Edited by Michael569
added sentence

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I don't eat whole wheat grain bread anymore or most of any processed grain because it causes me to get a dip in my energy level -- probably because my stomach has trouble breaking it down.

However, oats I have found to actually not cause any trouble at all. When you look at many studies they suggest that oats can have really positive benefits for our health -- Dr. Greger has a video on this I believe.

Buckwheat is something that works for me too. 

I guess you just have to through your own process of finding out and becoming aware of how different grains effect your body. Your energy level, mood, pain-like feeling

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

@Hello from Russia Not well, I get acne and my stomach feels very heavy for 5+ hours after I consume. One of the reason I went vegan.

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

Just got to the part of the book "Food what the heck should I eat" by mark hyman

img_5470.jpg?fit=666,666&ssl=1

where he talks about how oats are not a health food. There is always a different perspective

The kingdom of heaven is within.

lol at the first line of the description

"Did you know that eating oatmeal actually isn't a healthy way to start the day? That milk doesn't build bones, and eggs aren't the devil?

Even the most 
health conscious among us have a hard time figuring out what to eat in order to lose weight, stay fit, and improve our health. And who can blame us? When it comes to diet, there's so much changing and conflicting information flying around that it's impossible to know where to look for sound advice. And decades of misguided "common sense," food-industry lobbying, bad science, and corrupt food polices and guidelines have only deepened our crisis of nutritional confusion, leaving us overwhelmed and anxious when we head to the grocery store.

Thankfully, bestselling author Dr. Mark Hyman is here to set the record straight. In Food: What the Heck Should I Eat? -- his most comprehensive book yet -- he takes a close look at every food group and explains what we've gotten wrong, revealing which foods nurture our health and which pose a threat. From grains to legumes, meat to dairy, fats to artificial sweeteners, and beyond, Dr. Hyman debunks misconceptions and breaks down the fascinating science in his signature accessible style. He also explains food's role as powerful medicine capable of reversing chronic disease and shows how our food system and policies impact the environment, the economy, social justice, and personal health, painting a holistic picture of growing, cooking, and eating food in ways that nourish our bodies and the earth while creating a healthy society. 

With myth-busting insights, easy-to-understand science, and delicious, wholesome recipes, Food: What the Heck Should I Eat? is a no-no
nsense guide to achieving optimal weight and lifelong health."

Mark Hyman says sth. different than Dr. Greger how says sth. different than Max Lugavere who says sth. different than Dr. Morse.

Here we are again. Everybody has to see for him/herself what works and what works not. But it's beneficial to compare the information nonetheless.

What's the difference between a duck?

This is another fascinating idea put forward by mark hyman in the book.

"Consuming too many omega 6 fats also increases the likelihood of inflammatory diseases and links to mental illness, suicide, and homicide. In fact, studies have shown a connection of mental health with inflammation in the brain."

https://drhyman.com/blog/2016/01/29/why-oil-is-bad-for-you/

30 minutes ago, Colin said:

"Consuming too many omega 6 fats also increases the likelihood of inflammatory diseases and links to mental illness, suicide, and homicide. In fact, studies have shown a connection of mental health with inflammation in the brain."

Yeah, this is well known. The imbalance of Omega 3 vs Omega 6 in human diet is a huge problem. Ideally you should have 3:1 Omega6 : Omega3. 

In reality, most people have like 15:1 or 20:1. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Oats is healthier than most foods people eat, you can't really class it as bad. If it works for you and doesn't cause you any discomfort by all means enjoy em. Sure Oats are not as clean fuel as Fruit/Veg but who doesn't love a bowl of porridge?

B R E A T H E