Cocolove

Are psychedelics bad for a developing brain?

11 posts in this topic

Can a 16 year old inherently not benefit from psychedelics, due to age, along with an actualizing lifestyle?

The school system is teaching us they are neurologically damaging, but doesn't really talk about psychedelics. I don't know what to believe, my guess is there isn't concrete evidence they are, and they affect everyone so differently, every trip is so different, it's probably case dependent and any possible damage is not firmly based in a materialistic paradigm. Thoughts?

There have been studies that rank drugs based on harm to self and society. Psychedelics consistently score among the safest. However at 16 yo, the brain is still developing- especially the frontal lobe. And lots of neuronal pruning goung on. Some studies have suggested that drug use during this time may interfere with proper development. 

Teens in native tribal cultures do psychedelics all the time, and have been doing it for over 5000 years.

Case closed.

What's really damaging is all the TV you watch, all the video games you play, and all the garbage junk food you eat. Why ain't you worried about that?

You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

Scientifically speaking, there are no studies that has determined how multiple responsible psychedelic trips can effect the brain of a growing adolescent.

I think 18 years old is a good age to start experimenting, but as Leo said.

I think psychedelic ”brain interference”...would be great for a developing brain, imagine how open-minded students would be after dosing on shrooms a few times, they would ace every math-test. :P

192CEE0C-A06D-4BCF-853F-0A5BF61776AD.jpeg

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Teens in native tribal cultures do psychedelics all the time, and have been doing it for over 5000 years.

This is true, but there's a big asterisk that goes along with it.

Teens in native tribal cultures are in native tribal cultures.

The use of psychedelics is integrated into their whole way of life, at every level.

Teens in the West do not have anything approaching that kind of context/setting.

This is why it can be dangerous for teens to take psychedelics.

In most cases they're just not emotionally ready to integrate whatever they discover or do not have the proper environment to integrate it.

In fact, I'm honestly not sure most people in their twenties in the West are ready.

Jung was absolutely right in observing that use of psychedelics carries with it a ton of social responsibility; you either discover and bring forth new values or go back to being a better "regular" person.

If you're not ready for that, don't bother.  Unless a 16 year old is ready and possesses the means to grow up fast, he shouldn't bother, because the consequences will be destabilizing.

(Teens in tribal cultures grow up faster.)

Edited by Haumea2018

Remember those hippies at Woodstock that gave LSD to their babies to expand their consciousness? Now that’s love 

@Haumea2018 That is a good point. Which is why I don't recommend taking psychedelics to those under 21.

Psychedelics require enormous maturity and wisdom to use properly.

They are a tool of the gods, not for fools.

You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

20 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Case closed.

What's really damaging is all the TV you watch, all the video games you play, and all the garbage junk food you eat. Why ain't you worried about that?

Jokes on you Leo, I don't watch tv, play video games, and barely eat junk food(awareness alone is curative technique on that one) :))

@Haumea2018 For me high doses and dmt give me a few day long ego backlash, and i seem to get nothing back from them, but low doses I find I actually benefit from a lot. I'm able to do some good contemplation and long strong determination sittings, much deeper than unassisted.

I tried them when I was 19, am about to turn 24 this month. They require a lot of experience in order to learn what is best for you. I learn deeply from high doses, almost like my whole understanding is being arranged unconsciously without needing logical propositions.

Low-doses are much better if one is going to contemplate with thoughts. Just have to keep experimenting, carefully, and slowly.

Technically, brains become fully developed at around 25-26, so I have already broken this rule and I feel fine. I do not believe they are harmful physically, the only thing I'd be worried about is maturity level. I agree with Leo, one definitely needs maturity and a level of grounded-ness, trust in oneself. It turns you inside out and when that happens, you better be ready to not act impulsively - which unfortunately teenagers struggle with due to the lack of development in the frontal lobe.