kieranperez

Conscious during sleep and after the body dies?...

11 posts in this topic

@Leo Gura I’ve been contemplating what you said @ 49:00 since this video came out. Is that possible simply just from decades of meditation and yoga? I’ve heard Ken Wilber talk about how he’s maintained awareness 24/7 even during sleep and that has me wanting to know how I can go about actually getting to that kinda level. However, the part about being conscious after the body dies really is a disorienting thing to think and meditate on right now. 

I have wondered about this too.

The issue I face is that, suppose you maintained consciousness throughout the sleeping state, and indeed since the big bang and unto the death of the universe, you could only verify those times for which you have memory. So those times in which you're able to call on your memory would you be able to be aware of your awareness passed. All we can truly verify is the awareness right now.. So in states for which memory is hindered (such as sleep) we can't say our level of consciousness after the fact.

Edited by voidness
typo

If you want to have that experience, you have to get to stage 9 Samatha/stage 9/10 from "The Mind Illuminated" 

"At the adept level of practice, you’ll also notice that mindfulness can still be quite powerful even when you’re dull and can’t think clearly because of fatigue or illness. Furthermore, you can sustain strong mindfulness even as you fall asleep at night, and lucid dreams aren’t uncommon. Even in deep, dreamless sleep, we can have the experience of “knowing” we’re asleep."

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

31 minutes ago, Enlightenment said:

If you want to have that experience, you have to get to stage 9 Samatha/stage 9/10 from "The Mind Illuminated" 

"At the adept level of practice, you’ll also notice that mindfulness can still be quite powerful even when you’re dull and can’t think clearly because of fatigue or illness. Furthermore, you can sustain strong mindfulness even as you fall asleep at night, and lucid dreams aren’t uncommon. Even in deep, dreamless sleep, we can have the experience of “knowing” we’re asleep."

From my experience, it’s just like that. Consciousness is always here during waking, dreaming and deep sleep. 

Edited by cirkussmile

6 hours ago, kieranperez said:

However, the part about being conscious after the body dies really is a disorienting thing to think and meditate on right now. 

It's the most natural thing ever and you've gone through it many times before already, check out some of these resources:

- Notable Near Death Experiences

- More Near Death Experiences

- Pre-Birth memories (memories before they were born)

2 hours ago, dlof said:

It's the most natural thing ever and you've gone through it many times before already, check out some of these resources:

- Notable Near Death Experiences

- More Near Death Experiences

- Pre-Birth memories (memories before they were born)

My questions are directly related to what Leo pointed out in his video at the time mark I listed. You can “die” multiple times but that doesn’t mean you’re conscious of that just like one is not conscious of what god is and such. 

I’ve lucid dreamed before but there’s still lack of “witnessing”. 

These comments are not addressing the question.

@kieranperez Well there's plenty of NDE's, many included in those links for instance, where people have experiences on the other side which are on-par or exceeding what you get with 5-MEO trips. Becoming one with God, having omniscience of knowing everything in the universe etc. Those are actually fairly common reports that people come back with after they have died and been brought back to life.

8 hours ago, dlof said:

@kieranperez Well there's plenty of NDE's, many included in those links for instance, where people have experiences on the other side which are on-par or exceeding what you get with 5-MEO trips. Becoming one with God, having omniscience of knowing everything in the universe etc. Those are actually fairly common reports that people come back with after they have died and been brought back to life.

Oh okay, now I get what you are saying. Sorry about that.

I just would love to know the process of that actually can become possible just from "regular" consciousness work like meditation, yoga, etc. 

@kieranperez

Check this out. Enlightened gurus like Ramana Maharshi and Nisargadatta Maharaj also reported to be have self-awareness in deep sleep. 

I think it's a result to taking the witnessing position all the way and dis-identifying Consciousness from the objects of Consciousness fully.

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

Cayce used dreams, Canstaneda speaks about them in his books as a part of practice so it looks one should be able to get some information out of them. And how conscious one is? This is to me not clear as I never tried it ... It might me interesting to investigate.