CreamCat

What are the high-yield techniques for conquering procrastination and addiction fast?

12 posts in this topic

To work towards my life purpose, I need to conquer procrastinations and addictions sustainably.

It seems that even, Leo Gura is still addicted to the internet after many psychedelic trips and many hours of meditation.

If Leo still is addicted to the internet after years of work, it means I can't rely solely on doing nothing and meditation. After many years, I won't be able to pursue my life purpose due to financial constraints. I can't wait for years. I need something that works in a short amount of time.

Are there high-yield techniques specifically designed to just conquer procrastination and addictions fast and hard? I know that it's essential to watch Leo's videos and practice concepts in his videos, but it seems I need something more.

Perhaps, should I rearrange my life so that addictions exist but don't have a chance to manifest for many years?

Edited by CreamCat

33 minutes ago, ajasatya said:

@CreamCat serious deadlines

@ajasatya It is not that serious. It just means that in a few years, I need to find a way to either conquer addictions sustainably or make it very difficult for addictions to manifest. Perhaps, I could find a way to turn addictions into my ally until I conquer them.

For example, quitting social activism instantly turns social addictions into a non-problem. I just needed to accept quitting social activism. At first, my ego didn't want to quit it because it felt important. But, quitting it saved me from countless hours of social addictions.

This video helped me a lot, too because I decided to stop wasting time on arguing with haters and critics and trolls. This is another social addiction that became easier to conquer.

However, I fear that I may fall into another random short-term addiction soon.

Edited by CreamCat

@CreamCat What do you want from this life? What do you really want?  What do you want so deeply that Everything else becomes a distant second. So deeply that every choice is made in terms of supporting this dream or not. From that vantage point, addictions will not tempt you so much.  

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

37 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@CreamCat What do you want from this life? What do you really want?  What do you want so deeply that Everything else becomes a distant second. So deeply that every choice is made in terms of supporting this dream or not. From that vantage point, addictions will not tempt you so much.  

@Nahm Is that your direct life experience? How much did it help in your life? How do you actually apply it to your life purpose? Do you apply it to your life by constantly asking yourself what you really want out of your life?

Edited by CreamCat

Read cal newports book deep work it have insights on quitting online addiction. (As a bonus it also is about how to become a superstar)

One of the things he says is that once the brain is weird for distractions it becomes addictive to it so you have to rewire your brain to go without distractions (paraphrasing) a way to rewire your brain from distractions is to be bored more often.

i also recommend looking into digital minimalism.

For procrastinating look at this link. It may be for blender but it works for other things too.

https://www.blenderguru.com/podcasts/get-good-blender-fast

Edited by BjarkeT

@CreamCat

8 hours ago, CreamCat said:

Are there high-yield techniques specifically designed to just conquer procrastination and addictions fast and hard? I know that it's essential to watch Leo's videos and practice concepts in his videos, but it seems I need something more.

I have found there to be no short cuts whatsoever in this regard. Consciousness work is the main way to go, even if the process is tedious. 

@ajasatya suggested that you have serious deadlines. But I'm someone who's been so lazy and so unmotivated that all serious deadlines do is promote an unhealthy cycle of procrastination and cramming. I feel like I almost have PTSD from the stressful deadlines I've crammed for when it comes to high school. 

But consciousness work isn't the only thing you can do. For trying to "self actualize" yourself, it's best to use all tools at your disposal. And what I mean by this is is that you adopt Western self improvement techniques in addition to "Eastern" spirituality. This is the strategy in mind that I have. 

Western self improvement stuff would revolve around forcing yourself to get shit done and chasing success. You make changes in your life such that your ego is distracted with various healthy and "productive" activities. You're doing what you can to minimise suffering despite having a strong ego. 

But from my experience, mainstream Western self improvement doesn't work for people like me whose psyches are deeply entrenched in the gutter. But by meditating alone you'll make improvements, and find the will power and equanimity to implement stuff that Western self improvement emphasises (exercising, emotional intelligence, career success, losing weight, getting a romantic partner and etc).

Through concuousness work you adress the root cause. Although much of western self improvement stuff encourages you to "accept yourself", you are not properly guided with how to deal with your negative thinking. So from a spiral dynamics point of view, western self improvement is orange and does have green as well. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

@lmfao try shorter deadlines. they're working like a charm for me.

i've been a professional procrastinator for 29 years... until last month.

unborn Truth

Best hacks:

-Start difficult tasks right in the morning, your mind kind of still is asleep and will have less objections against doing the task(s).

-Just start. Say I will only do this task(s) for 5 minutes. If I dont like doing them anymore I can stop. But I do 5 minutes. The trick is, that your mind wont object to doing something when its only 5 minutes and once you are already doing it, its easier to continue.

-Break big tasks that seem to be impossible to do into very very small parts and start with them.

-Get motivation: Bring to mind what you will get after doing the tasks for a long time, how your life is going to change to the better, be inspired.

-Remind yourself, whatever you are doing or have to do: This stuff is easy.

For addiction I dont have any good tips. I think Leo has a good video on it where he will sit you through a guided talk ot sth. Do that.

Internet is kind of an addiction for me but its more of a "I do this whenever I dont have anything else to do" kind of thing. Im not craving it when Im busy with other stuff.

When I try to dig deep within myself, I couldn't ask questions to my higher self or intuition, I just come up with superficial abstract answers from my lower self. It happens also when I try to visualize, my lower self gets over conscious and trigger resistance when digging deep in my soul.