Butters

I stopped putting my happiness off to the future and this happened

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

So all my life I put happiness off into the future. Things like "Yes I'll go do fun things but I need huge business success first" were my absolute truth, it all seemed pretty rational too. 

Then one day I had sort of a spiritual experience. I realized that I'm really an artist (quite the difference huh) and I should re-think my life purpose! Shocker. 

Ever since that moment (about 2 months ago), I've been super happy! I go out, I meet girls, I enjoy the way the streets look, I enjoy my thoughts, I enjoy my job and co-workers. I've even enjoyed being angry (lol) and some other things that used to belong in the "bad" category.

I finally get to enjoy the fun stuff I've always put off into this non-existent future. 

After 5 years of struggling so damn hard to make my business work, I've stopped clinging to it for happiness. 

I don't care if I wake up on time (on my off day) cause who cares? I don't care if I get things done today. I don't really care if I ever reach my long-term goals because living the life I live now is already pretty damn great and enjoyable. It's like all the personal development is coming together at this point and helping me at this stage. 

The life I lived, full of worry and "musts" was pretty shit compared to just living life. 

Anyway, I'm assuming the "itch" for success and making meaningful impact on the world will come back at some point, right? I want it to be back but in a much more mature way, not a "I must reach XYX success or else my life is failure" sorta thing.

Thoughts? 

Just to clarify, cause I think it's easy to misinterpret: I strongly feel this is a necessary phase I'm going through in the evolution of my psyche and perhaps others can relate. Not caring may seem like a mistake or diluted, but mostly it's not caring for petty shit. I'm 90% sure in the end I'll be able to contribute much more towards this world with a fresh outlook, for which this phase is necessary.

What does confuse me is that people always say you need discipline and structure to reach success and happiness. I killed most of that  that structure (for now) and I'm more inspired and happier than before. That's confusing...

@Butters went through quiet a similair thing. In that mode it was baffeling why people stressed so much and didn't just go for a walk in the park. I was just really enjoying being present for the first time in my life. What hapenned to me is that I partly integrated it in my normal life and it partly went away. So definitely more present and happy from moment to moment now than I was but not at the level I was at before. Also discipline etc has definitely become important again ;). Hope this is helpfull for you. 

Regards,

Paul

It's simply balance that is necessary, always and everywhere. People are not used to thinking in a polar way which is why they sometimes seem to get a little bit lost or confused. Has a lot to do with recognising the Non-Duality of everything, explicitly by realising how everything is in a sense dualistic. If one can succesfully think in a polar way and also structure his life accordingly to it, he'll get all the benefits from both sides/extremes and potentially avoid all the negative aspects that arise when a particular extreme of a duality is pursued too excessively:)

Edited by DocHoliday
Reason for Edit: Grammar

Hey, what's up! This is Jack R. Hayes, I'm an author, currently living in Germany. Thus far, I've written two books, both in English and German; one's called "User's Manual for Human Beings", and the other one's called "The Wisdom Espresso". If you'd like to check out my work, visit me at  https://jackrhayes.de  or go to Amazon and search for my name. I'd be happy to see you there!

Maybe you were sort of "too" structured and disciplined in a way that you were on the edge of burning out?

Regarding the phrase "less is more" seriously can be exactly what you need right now!                                                                                            

You going green,  Spiral at work  ! At least to some degree  ! Big Up 

@Butters

yes same exact realization for me. 

depending on future successes for happiness is so silly. 

because life is about the journey and the adventure. not just the end goal

the future success won't even make you as happy as you thought it would. especially if it's a low conscious vision

Edited by d0ornokey