DeannaDevil

If expensive activities are my only source of excitement, should I only pursue money?

14 posts in this topic

I want a lifestyle where I can travel and take in extraordinarily beautiful sights, live in a house surrounded by nature,  go to the countries I find interesting and learn their languages. I want to experience rock climbing, rafting, kayaking, horseback riding, and ballet classes (ideally to perform on stage) on a regular basis. I want to be able to make spontaneous decisions without having to worry about money. However, no one of these things is my passion. I do not want to live and breathe a single thing, but rather a variety of fun experiences. One problem is I do not know if this comes from a place of deprivation, making these thoughts a distraction, but they are the only thoughts that energize me. I do have certain talents, but when I think about turning them into a career, I feel aversion to the idea. 

Edited by DeannaDevil

I'm 25. The reason for my question is that I feel I am doomed to do work that I am not passionate about, even after I've attained a lifestyle that I am passionate about, because there is not one activity that I particularly enjoy above the rest (to the point that I could consider it my life purpose). Then I also wonder how far my motivation will take me when accumulation of money is the only thing rewarding I'm deriving from that career, even though it's what is allowing me to live the life I want.

Edited by DeannaDevil

1 hour ago, DeannaDevil said:

I feel I am doomed to do work that I am not passionate about ... I also wonder how far my motivation will take me when accumulation of money is the only thing rewarding I'm deriving from that career, even though it's what is allowing me to live the life I want.

So... maybe don't seek passion, and seek contribution instead. And excellence and beauty. Would that fly?

Interesting, I did not consider a different theme to my life other than passion. Excellence and beauty.. I like that.

I love pointing out blind spots :D (Most fascinatingly it sometimes works even if I haven't quite figured out that area of myself yet :)) I don't know if it's your solution, just see where that thought takes you. 

I would say the motivation of accumulating money will only get you so far. There is a research that states that our happiness doesn't increase after we reach a threshold of $50,000 per year income (it only grows very marginally with a large increase in income).

The activities you describe don't always require money. There are ways you can go rock climbing, rafting, kayaking, without a large expense but you will need to be very friendly with people (even people you just meet). Money may not be your ultimate tool if you want a variety of experience.

It sounds that your passion isn't the activities themselves, but adventure, or experiencing new experiences. If adventure is your passion, then there are many ways to experience adventure without spending a fortune, right?

Cheers!

I review self-help courses to find out which ones are good and not good: propelyourwealth.com

I think it's not about money. You can try to make a living and make your life a long lasting holiday. That's what we all want, because that's where we are the most happy. You don't have to be the richest or poorest, the balance is the key word. But do the things that take you in the flow state. 

On 7/5/2018 at 7:38 AM, denydritz said:

I would say the motivation of accumulating money will only get you so far. There is a research that states that our happiness doesn't increase after we reach a threshold of $50,000 per year income (it only grows very marginally with a large increase in income).

The activities you describe don't always require money. There are ways you can go rock climbing, rafting, kayaking, without a large expense but you will need to be very friendly with people (even people you just meet). Money may not be your ultimate tool if you want a variety of experience.

It sounds that your passion isn't the activities themselves, but adventure, or experiencing new experiences. If adventure is your passion, then there are many ways to experience adventure without spending a fortune, right?

Cheers!

hello sir , can u tel me how do i use adventure as a career?

5 hours ago, ladyshy5a said:

hello sir , can u tel me how do i use adventure as a career?

For example, investigative reporters seem to be pretty adventurous people. 

But I don't get the sense you're after something really dangerous.

On 7/3/2018 at 9:41 AM, DeannaDevil said:

I want a lifestyle where I can travel and take in extraordinarily beautiful sights, live in a house surrounded by nature,  go to the countries I find interesting and learn their languages. I want to experience rock climbing, rafting, kayaking, horseback riding, and ballet classes (ideally to perform on stage) on a regular basis. I want to be able to make spontaneous decisions without having to worry about money. However, no one of these things is my passion. I do not want to live and breathe a single thing, but rather a variety of fun experiences. One problem is I do not know if this comes from a place of deprivation, making these thoughts a distraction, but they are the only thoughts that energize me. I do have certain talents, but when I think about turning them into a career, I feel aversion to the idea. 

I know it's not for everyone, but maybe consider becoming a Pilot. I have been flying for the past 9 years, and I have gotten to experience amazing view's and the beauty of this planet from above. Not to mention I got paid to travel and eat great food. Something to consider, but as always, just find your passion and stick to that until you make it. good luck!

IMG_5172.JPG

IMG_5151.JPG

As a former online poker pro, I pretty much had the lifestyle you're looking for. In my early to mid 20s, most of my friends were jealous that I could take a month vacation whenever I wanted. I was free to do anything or go anywhere. It was also very exciting to be playing for big money.

At first, I won't lie, it was a lot of fun! But eventually, the lack of meaning became unberable and I finally gave up everything to pursue my LP in a field where there's no guarantee. In doing so, I faced a ton of adversity but it felt AMAZING to finally be living at my edge. It made me realize how overrated confort and pleasure is. 

Hedonism is a trap. Be careful. 

Edited by martin_malin

On 7/9/2018 at 0:04 AM, Elisabeth said:

For example, investigative reporters seem to be pretty adventurous people. 

But I don't get the sense you're after something really dangerous.

THANKS

Pick one cool as fuck thing you wanna do in 6 months/a year/two years.  Whatever seems about on target.  Write out a budget of how much money you would need to sustain a fun/chill lifestyle until then, and how much money you would need at that point.  Figure out how much you can be contributing to that amount regularly. Find some sort of professional training and/or education that ballparks a career direction.  Figure out how much that is gonna cost on top of everything.  Then convince your parents to meet you at your deficits.  They will be thrilled to be investing in you strategically and in your career.  And will support your healthy fun goals too.  Because if you have a better career, even if just means more education for the right now, then they don't have to worry about you as much.  And you will be doing society a favor by just picking a direction.

Honestly, I want to be a singer.  But my parents will and have been paying for massage therapy school because it's more of a sure-fire investment.  Plus I get to keep working on figuring out how to heal my body and my family.  In the meantime I teach English online.  Either way, it's a hell of a lot closer to what I want than my fucking useless degree in engineering.