How to be wise

Nisargadatta quotes

33 posts in this topic

“When effort is needed, effort will appear. When effortlessness becomes essential, it will assert itself. You need not push life about. Just flow with it and give yourself completely to the task of the present moment...”

— Nisargadatta Maharaj

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Anna1 Nisargadatta didn’t speak English. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

2 hours ago, How to be wise said:

@Anna1 Nisargadatta didn’t speak English. 

??

I know, I believe he spoke Marathi. So, he had a translator.

Edited by Anna1

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Maharaj was a chain smoker of beedis (leaf rolled cigarettes), apart from being a merchant of them.
He was also known as 'Beedi Baba'. 

beedi baba.jpg

9 minutes ago, cirkussmile said:

Why is this important?

Besides Nisargadatta Maharaj there are other enlightened masters like Ramakrishna Paramahamsa who were smokers , it is great hope for people who find difficulty in breaking habit of smoking.

4 minutes ago, Prabhaker said:

Besides Nisargadatta Maharaj there are other enlightened masters like Ramakrishna Paramahamsa who were smokers , it is great hope for people who find difficulty in breaking habit of smoking.

In the way that they don't have to stop? :)

16 hours ago, Faceless said:

:)@Anna1

To one that may read this, by which means does one abandon the false?

What causes this falseness (fear, desire, attachment)??

What action is in movement that abandons this falsity? 

Good question. 

What about letting go? 

"God is only an idea in your mind. The fact is you. The only thing you know for sure is: 'here and now I am'. Remove, the 'here and now' the 'I am' remains, unassailable. The word exists in memory,  memory comes into consciousness; consciousness exists in awareness and awareness is the reflection of the light on the waters of existence."

@Mikael89  Oye vey, what a mess, right?!?

So, let me "try" to make sense out of this (maybe? Lol)-

Quote:

"memory comes into consciousness; consciousness exists in awareness and awareness is the reflection of the light on the waters of existence."

Nisargadatta 

*memory comes into consciousness-

I do believe he's using consciousness here, as "personal" consciousness, a function of mind.

*consciousness exists in awareness-

"Personal" consciousness exists in "reflected" awareness. (See he did not say "pure" awareness or absolute).

*Awareness is the reflection of the light on the waters of existence-

He's telling you in this sentence, he's using the word "awareness" to mean the "reflection", of "the light" ( the light, meaning absolute or pure awareness), on the waters of existence  (here he means world).

My 2 cents!:)

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Nisargadatta: “The absolute doesn’t know itself at all.”

”Beingness is the child of no beingness, the absolute.”

”Something prior to the creation of the body knows that there is a body.”

“When you did not have the body, complete satisfaction existed.”

”The arrival of my beingness without my knowing constitutes my parents.”

”The one who observes the being and no being state is the true state.”

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

6 hours ago, Mikael89 said:

In those days no one knew that smoking is bad, so there was no reason to not smoke, obviously.

That means that awareness is not fundamental? That awareness is just a stupid reflection from something which already exists? That existence exists prior to awareness and then awareness is a reflection of existence.

I like how you question everything :) The way you think reminds of a younger version of me! 

Never stop questioning, it will take you as far as your heart desires! 

6 hours ago, Mikael89 said:

In those days no one knew that smoking is bad, so there was no reason to not smoke, obviously.

That means that awareness is not fundamental? That awareness is just a stupid reflection from something which already exists? That existence exists prior to awareness and then awareness is a reflection of existence.

IMHO before being, there WAS non-being - what a nonsense that invalidates half of what Nisargadatta had to say.