Emil

Leo's Confusion towards the end of 'What Is Consciousness?' Video

8 posts in this topic

Hey Leo!

Your confusion at the end I think is because you use the words 'consciousness' and 'awareness' interchangeably. Yes, it's all made up of 'no-'thing'ness/ a substance that can be anything/consciousness, if you will.

Awareness, however, I see as "how accurate you see what IS, as it is; how much CLARITY one has. Why you struggled to explain 'How can they be different levels of consciousness?', is because you give both words the same meaning.

Consciousness/no-thingness is the substance. Awareness, is the degree of accurate perception you have of reality, of existence, of the 'cosmic Magic!', if you will. Now THAT is what can be developed! 'Awareness', your clarity, not 'Consciousness'.

The substance of which it (existence/creation/reality) is made just is what it is; there is no levels to that, only to Clarity/Awareness. How vigilant are you? How much are you aware of?

Also, only certain 'entities', created by this 'substance'/consciousness/nothingness, has the attributes, the capacity, to become aware; Like our entity the 'human being'. A rock, on the other hand, doesn't have the attributes.

Edited by Emil

But this Consciousness is Aware in and of itself --- Self-Aware.   That's how Consciousness and Awareness can be used interchangeably, with no confusion or contradiction.

can somebody help me with this, I want to speak from the absolute perspective:

a stone is something that appears in consciousness. It is not conscious, not self aware, just something that appears in consciousness

a human being is something that appears in consciousness. it is not conscious, not self aware, just something that appears in consciousness. The only difference is that consciousness is identified with this human being.

Do I understand this correctly?

@OBEler

Everything that could ever be talked about is a concept that refers to an appearance of something that is (ultimately falsely) distinct in the substance of consciousness. To be under the illusion of ego, is to confuse your true self with the WAY the true self is manifested. Classic example is a wave thinking that it dies once it hits the shore.

13 hours ago, OBEler said:

it is not conscious, not self aware

This is both yes and no, but only because language is so tricky. Only awareness is aware (of the body manifestation).

19 hours ago, Emil said:

Also, only certain 'entities' created by this 'substance', consciousness/nothingness, has the ability, the attributes, the capacity, to become aware. Like our entity, the 'human being'. A rock, on the other hand, doesn't have the attributes.

Whatever can be perceived cant be perceiving.  Humans aren't conscious, brains aren't conscious, rocks aren't conscious.  Only consciousness is conscious.  The only way a human could be conscious is if they were in fact a seperate independent entity.  There are no separate 'entities', this implies duality, sepration, there is only consciousness

Grace

Is Leo objectively confused, or is he simply coming from different conceptual systems than you prefer he use?