B_Naz

Do Nothing Meditation

22 posts in this topic

This post is directed more towards the people who are focused on ending duality/movement of thought

What would you say to this type of meditation? I've been practising to silence my minds, but decided to try this meditation technique of do nothing. I really enjoy this meditation method, it really helps me purge my thoughts. I love getting angry at myself for not giving up control, and I just accept it. Then end up hating the meditation technique and I accept it. To be honest,  I just remember myself saying internally "I FUCKING HATE MEDITATION, I FUCKING HATE ALL OF THIS". Soon or later, it just went away and then I don't hate anything. Purging is great but...

I have trouble with this. I've been working on ending duality, and to me, it seems that ending the thought process is the way to go for non-duality. Wouldn't this technique oppose what I am trying to do?

This then opened up an insight... I know you can't really stop and control your thoughts, so does this mean we cannot silence the thoughts? Does this mean we can't end duality? How can we stop the movement of thought when we have no control? There is nobody to control it...

You're not human, you're the universe

Channel the 5 angles with the breath, join Ida & Pingala into Sushumna and thoughts automatically will go in second place. 

22 minutes ago, B_Naz said:

This then opened up an insight... I know you can't really stop and control your thoughts, so does this mean we cannot silence the thoughts? Does this mean we can't end duality? How can we stop the movement of thought when we have no control?

Bingo!

However, once you fully realize you are not the "action figure" you appear to be and know yourself as limitless, conscious, existence and assimilate that knowledge, then your preferences and desires aren't as strong and then you can either do them, not do them or do something all together different. You are no longer bound by "binding" vasanas.

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

43 minutes ago, B_Naz said:

I know you can't really stop and control your thoughts,

To control thought is a movement of thought. 

44 minutes ago, B_Naz said:

so does this mean we cannot silence the thoughts?

Your thinking to much about thoughts. Where do thoughts arise? Out of the movement of thought right? (Reponse to Memory)

46 minutes ago, B_Naz said:

Does this mean we can't end duality

The you that wants to end duality is a dualistic movement. 

Duality can end, but not by any positive movement of duality. 

48 minutes ago, B_Naz said:

How can we stop the movement of thought when we have no control? There is nobody to control it...

To stop the movement of thought is a movement of thought (will/volition/ego) 

Any movement of duality further nourishes dualistic movement. 

The negation of all positive action (will/volition) is the ending of duality.

I don't think I can accept myself to be those things, limitless, consciousness, existence, etc. Reason for this is because I feel like those are just ideas that I created in order to identify myself with reality, rather than just being reality... 

I like the realisation that I am not an action figure. But then... What do I do? I can't end my thoughts or control them, when the Truth seems to point that way for me. I know @Anna1 you have a very different view on the duality/non-duality debate to me, and now I'm starting to actually understand where your view comes from. We can't control anything... The fact that we can't control is amazing...

8 minutes ago, Faceless said:

Your thinking to much about thoughts. Where do thoughts arise? Out of the movement of thought right? (Reponse to Memory)

That's my point, its response to memory. However, It's seems that you cannot stop your thoughts. Even if you wanted to or not. Even if it's in non-duality or duality state, there is nothing that can control the thoughts, and there is noone to control it... There is nothing to stop the movement of it. Then how do you go about to actually ending duality? 

Edited by B_Naz

@Faceless Something popped up in my head. You can't control or stop the movement, it seems that thoughts arise out of nowhere. If that happens, then movement cannot end

2 minutes ago, B_Naz said:

The fact that we can't control is amazing...

Yeah, controle implies a controller. 

When all the movement of the “controller” ends. That implies the movement of duality/division has ended. 

And when that ends actually, there is awareness. That duality “conditioned consciousness” is what makes unconsciousness. 

Don’t come to the conclusion that thought does not end or does. Keep exploring the nature of thought “conditioned conciousness”  

Which means to understand the nature of experience in relation to thought. And in that is where the old ceases to act as a barrier to the new dynamic now. 

2 minutes ago, Faceless said:

Yeah, controle implies a controller. 

When all the movement of the “controller” ends. That implies the movement of duality/division has ended. 

But there was no controller in the first place, and this realisation will help end the division.

Of course, making conclusions now is the worst thing I can do, it's just I'm trying to get more information.

So making conclusions about thought ending is a bad thing to do right now for me? So I should probably carry on with this meditation method to try to understand the nature of thought?

Good insight though... The intention to end duality is still in duality

4 minutes ago, B_Naz said:

Then how do you go about to actually ending duality? 

Not to move dualistically. 

2 minutes ago, B_Naz said:

@Faceless Something popped up in my head. You can't control or stop the movement, it seems that thoughts arise out of nowhere. If that happens, then movement cannot end

Thoughts don’t arise out of nowhere. They arise out of the response to memory in reaction to dynamic circumstances or “the now” 

Those responses are all movements of the past (memory)

6 minutes ago, Faceless said:

Thoughts don’t arise out of nowhere. They arise out of the response to memory in reaction to dynamic circumstances or “the now” 

Oh my, clearly I am still not fully grasping. Thanks for the reminder for the role of memory in our thoughts.

To not move dualistically is something that I should stay away from for now then. You're right, need to work on the nature of thought. It will take me a while to understand this...

16 minutes ago, B_Naz said:

But there was no controller in the first place, and this realisation will help end the division.

Well there is not a controller. It is an illusion. But it was an illusion that we think is true. So we act in accordance to that belief. It’s an illusion, but a fact as well. Even people who realize it’s an illusion in most cases still act dualistically. This is why embodiment is the most difficult part. 

Of course, making conclusions now is the worst thing I can do, it's just I'm trying to get more information

Yeah making conclusions is a movement of thought. You will see as you continue your journey. 

So I should probably carry on with this meditation method to try to understand the nature of thought?

If you are going to continue with do nothing then learning the nature, structure, and processes of thought/self is fundamental. 

And yes do nothing is the only way to end the movement of time/thought. Because it implies no postive action “will/volition/dualistic movement. 

I just realized what people meant by do nothing meditation about a month ago.

Although I been doing the same thing for a while now. I just didn’t have a name for it. 

Edited by Faceless

Thank you all @Quanty @Anna1 @Faceless , I will carry on with this practice then. I just had doubts about it which lead me to post.

Edited by B_Naz

21 minutes ago, B_Naz said:

I don't think I can accept myself to be those things, limitless, consciousness, existence, etc. Reason for this is because I feel like those are just ideas that I created in order to identify myself with reality, rather than just being reality... 

Basically, it means awareness. It's the intellects inferred description, if you will, of the indescribable.

Anyway, then BE reality. That's the point.

26 minutes ago, B_Naz said:

I like the realisation that I am not an action figure. But then... What do I do?

Have you had any spiritual epiphanies yet? If so, have you gained self-knowledge from the experience? Self- knowledge can be gained without an epiphany though, by using a teaching, such as Vedanta.

The self-knowledge I'm referring to is that you are actually awareness (or nothingness), not the apparent person you have thought you were and what that means.

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

1 minute ago, Anna1 said:

Have you had any spiritual epiphanies yet? If so, have you gained self-knowledge from the experience? Self- knowledge can be gained without an epiphany though, by using a teaching, such as Vedanta.

Never thought of it like that... That sounds similar to what's happening with me. I don't really know if I've had a spiritual epiphanies but I definitely feel different. Not really an emotionally feeling, just something I can't describe really. Nothing major, but it's like an awakening like nothing ever happened?

3 minutes ago, Anna1 said:

The self-knowledge I'm referring to is that you are actually awareness (or nothingness), not the apparent person you have thought you were and what that means.

Sorry if I keep misunderstanding things :( I understand now

4 minutes ago, Anna1 said:

Basically, it means awareness. It's the intellects inferred description, if you will, of the indescribable.

I really like this, awareness that is indescribable... that really helps me explore/understand further

@B_Naz

Best thing to understand is that we must start closer to home. I mean don’t ever go beyond where one has not yet began. Learn about the nature of thought/self. That way you can avoid getting caught in self deception, (identification with ideas)

The only way to end thought is to understand its whole movement and maintain religious awareness of that understanding. 

In that understanding and awareness makes for the cessation of experience acting as a barrier between the conditioned mind and nothingness. 

The art of living?

Edited by Faceless

Used to do 2 hours of do nothing a day for 6 months and exactly nothing happened!

Well, I did face many unresolved emotions in that time, but it was rather unfocused as I never quite knew what the mediation technique specifically was :) Too simple maybe?

Anyway I found that all meditation is an attempt to connect with your soul, and your soul is located in your spiritual heart, so I focused on that now. I wish someone told me that back then.

Edited by Solace

Feel your hearts embrace of this moment of existence, and your love will awaken in everything you perceive ❤️ 

@Solace

yeah :)

It can difficult. From what I have noticed, most don’t know when they are doing something. They are not aware of there own subtle form of time in movement. 

To do nothing, focus, concentration, and all that movement of thought is to ceases to move. And most attempt to (do nothing) but are still focusing and concentrating, therefore not doing nothing. 

Edited by Faceless

For sure! Even the act of “doing nothing” can be a subtle doing. And for one staring this journey they might not see this as you said, plus their minds are most likely wild.

Focusing on a point at the start is my suggestion :) 

Feel your hearts embrace of this moment of existence, and your love will awaken in everything you perceive ❤️