Applejuice

How do I know I'll like the job that i'm going to study for in uni?

8 posts in this topic

I want to study social work after sixth form in uni so i can be a social worker and hopefully work with homeless people. Is this a good idea? Because I'm only 17 and I'm expected to know what I will do for the rest of my life. I mean that's a lot to ask from me like fuck. I think it will be a really rewarding job. I'm also a guy. Could I work towards being a manly man and developping my masculinity whilst being a social worker as it's a caring profession?

You’re not expected to know what you want to do for the rest of your life. Nobody knows at your age. Nobody ever knows at any age because what you want to do will change. I suggest contacting a few social workers and asking them about the job, that would help you see if it’s something you’d want to do or not. 

@Applejuice

We don't know if it's a good idea and neither do you. That's life. Don't buy into the hype that everyone has it all "figured out", they don't.

You don't. I just discovered my study in uni (Computer Science) was the wrong one. I have one year left, I will finish it and in the meantime prepare skills that I enjoy more so that when I get out of uni I still can get to work with my new skills.

if you think the lifestyle is compelling/interesting there is probably a good chance you will like it 

@Applejuice I wish that everybody had the brains to come up with that question.

You are way ahead of your peers and many others.

My advice: Take some GAP-years, fill them with experiences....like 3 years of them..then reconsider part of your future.

In the long run, if you work with people, you will become what you surround yourself with. 

Working with homeless people maybe is seen as good, but if you want to really tap into yourself and masculinity, I'd say drop any social working. 

I speak from experience. (ex. christian/pastor/non profit organization worker Adra, ex. rickshaw/taxi driver) You become very feminized if you go for helping and listen to everyone's story. 

Only after 2016 when I quit society, I was able to tap into the divine masculine and awaken. 

On 5/23/2018 at 1:24 PM, Barbarian Number 8 said:

@Applejuice I wish that everybody had the brains to come up with that question.

You are way ahead of your peers and many others.

My advice: Take some GAP-years, fill them with experiences....like 3 years of them..then reconsider part of your future.

I agree. I'm sure there are plenty of programs around you that will allow you to work with the homeless without a degree. You could spend time involved in those and live for yourself a little.

I went into college because I was under the impression that it was the ONLY next step after high school. Now I have a degree in something I'm not really all that passionate about and a huge amount of debt.

You should travel if you are able :) this is the only time in your life where you can do almost anything without any hold-ups or too many consequences. Take advantage :)