Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brugluiz

Should I find my life purpose and take action?

12 posts in this topic

...or should I take action and find my life purpose?

8 minutes ago, brugluiz said:

...or should I take action and find my life purpose?

Either way :D  what is more important is  you take action, finding your life purpose is another act,  which way you take 

Edited by John Iverson

What difference does it make? It's pretty simple to find your life purpose if you go with the craftman mindset just pick something interesting and be so good they can't ignore. You are likely to get worse of with the passion mindset which is to think passion come first rather than after getting good. 

take action to find your LP so you can start taking action towards the most meaningful way

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@now is forever Sorry but I don't think it works that way. The passion mindset is the opposite of craftman mindset and unfortunately only negative outcomes have been shown from the research on it like anxiety for example and people won't care if you have found your passion if you don't have something valuable to show for it. Just pick something interesting and then get really good. Getting good is also where you get passion from as a side effect. Not before. 

Passion is more than just motivation. It is also a sense of satisfaction and fulfilment which is more complicated to get than just having intrinsic motivation.

at least that is what I have read from cal newport who have done research based on evidence.

Edited by BjarkeT

Hi @brugluiz. It seems what you mean is to ask whether you should think about your life purpose until you know what it is, and then take action AFTER you know it; or take action even though you haven't found your life purpose, hoping to finally discover your life purpose along the way?

The advantage of figuring out your life purpose before taking action is that your action will be aligned with your life purpose. It will have direction, give you a sense of fulfillment and satisfaction (or passion as @BjarkeT writes), and you will be efficient in your choices. But finding your life purpose may take time; it may take a long time (months or years) until you can identify it.

The advantage of taking action (the 'craftsman mindset') before figuring out your life purpose is that you can figure out your purpose through trial and error which may be faster than simply thinking about it. You'll sign up for jobs, meet people, go places, and build your life purpose based on what you discover. I think quite a few highly successful people 'stumbled upon' their life purpose when they identified it along the way. The downside is that you could end up getting stuck in a job, or a relationship, or a project that ultimately fails and doesn't make you happy.

I don't know if I've found my own life purpose. I mean, I have a 'draft' of it, and it does give me a sense of fulfillment, satisfaction, and direction, but I feel it can be designed better, help more people, achieve bigger successes, and so on. Maybe we never truly find our life purpose, we can only keep building towards it :)

Cheers!

I review self-help courses to find out which ones are good and not good: propelyourwealth.com

@denydritz but the craftman mindset isn't about taking action. Its about how you take action. In this case the key is getting really good at what you do.(so good you can't be ignored) Cal newport says that its not much important what it is you do rather its about things related to the lifestyle like creativity, impact, mastery.

sorry but Cal newport says that there is no such thing as finding your passion first and then you will be happy. Its a side effect of getting really really good at something you find interesting. 

He also asks that the passion mindset is something that require evidence to support it for such a claim but yet there isn't much evidence to support it however there is a lot of evidence that support the craftman mindset.

Edited by BjarkeT

@BjarkeT How are you going to get really good when there is no underlying vision or fulfillment in what you are doing?

Becoming world class means being in constant pain and fear. Try writing a book you will get a lot of doubts and fears, you will unconsciously push it off and save it for later eventually not doing it. Straight up brute forcing it will in very few cases work, I think. Especially in creative work. I totally agree with Cal Newport and believe in the concept of Flow but the mindset from which you tackle your work is also really important.

@dude what do you mean with no underlying vision? Isn't that where ones interest in a topic comes in and things like creativity, mastery, impact?

I want to achieve world class but sorry I don't feel as much pain or fear as you make it sound like.

It's not brute force. its going after something you already find interesting which can time to time be very enjoyable after practice. And I have already practice for about 10+ years at piano. Its not fear and pain all the time. It's actually very rarer.

Even now I am practice a piece by chopin and I don't feel any fear or pain. The only thing I feel is the strain from practice outside my comfort zone but its rewarding. I also composed a 10-minute long piece for piano and didn't feel any pain or fear but was in flow pretty much the whole process and it was very enjoyable for the most part.

I just recently started practice digital art and its the same thing there. No pain or fear but just the strain from practice and time to time very enjoyable after practice.

it's not brute force from beginning to end there is rewards here and there towards the goal.

cal newport doesn't describe it as pain and fear either. 

he should talk about it somewhere in the video.

Edited by BjarkeT

@now is forever I am not speaking for everyone just my self however cal newport does show that how I explained it seems to be the most cases if you want more information I recommend looking at cal newports books as my knowledge on this is a bit limited he also have more information on how/why some people are motivated for the long run.

but how do you know they didn't have inspiration? 

What do you mean when you say waste?

On 05/06/2018 at 1:09 AM, denydritz said:

Hi @brugluiz. It seems what you mean is to ask whether you should think about your life purpose until you know what it is, and then take action AFTER you know it; or take action even though you haven't found your life purpose, hoping to finally discover your life purpose along the way?

The advantage of figuring out your life purpose before taking action is that your action will be aligned with your life purpose. It will have direction, give you a sense of fulfillment and satisfaction (or passion as @BjarkeT writes), and you will be efficient in your choices. But finding your life purpose may take time; it may take a long time (months or years) until you can identify it.

The advantage of taking action (the 'craftsman mindset') before figuring out your life purpose is that you can figure out your purpose through trial and error which may be faster than simply thinking about it. You'll sign up for jobs, meet people, go places, and build your life purpose based on what you discover. I think quite a few highly successful people 'stumbled upon' their life purpose when they identified it along the way. The downside is that you could end up getting stuck in a job, or a relationship, or a project that ultimately fails and doesn't make you happy.

I don't know if I've found my own life purpose. I mean, I have a 'draft' of it, and it does give me a sense of fulfillment, satisfaction, and direction, but I feel it can be designed better, help more people, achieve bigger successes, and so on. Maybe we never truly find our life purpose, we can only keep building towards it :)

Cheers!

Thank you, @denydritz!

I think my life purpose has something to do with dating. If it's not my life purpose, it's my passion at least. I say that become, if I'm not passionated for pick up stuff, I'm obsessed for it. I don't know if there is really a difference between passion and obsession. I don't take action towards the pick up career because it's quite controversial and I'm lazy. There is too much hate towards the PUA sphere. Even Leo created a video about PUAs and he was kind like demonizing them. I recognize that most PUAs aren't saints (that's why it's controversial) though. But I truly believe I can have a huge impact on the world if I follow this path. It'll also be fun.