Ethan_05

Motivation to pursue consciousness work before having direct experience

16 posts in this topic

@Leo GuraI have never had a direct experience of "truth" or anything of my true nature, but I still pursue inner work. Up until recent that is. My ego is starting to win and stopping me from pursuing consciousness work because the mere fact that, my life is super chaotic and busy(I had a golf tournament from 6:30AM to 7:00PM today), but deep down I know that if I set my priorities straight then I can find time to pursue this stuff on the weekends and in my short amount of free time.

But I'm just not motivated. What are some ways to become motivated for this work without having ever had direct experience of these insights.

"That which the world calls day is the night of ignorance to the wise." - Bhagavad Gita

Becoming Conscious

@robdlI'm too young for that(i'm a high schooler), I'm going with the non-psychedelics path at the moment.

Edited by Ethan_05

"That which the world calls day is the night of ignorance to the wise." - Bhagavad Gita

Becoming Conscious

Whoops - scratch that. 

Reading and listening to teachers is highly motivating. 

Try listening to such teachers as Alan Watts, Mooji, Sadghuru, and Adyashanti for inspiration.

1 minute ago, robdl said:

Whoops - scratch that. 

Reading and listening to teachers is highly motivating. 

Try listening to such teachers as Alan Watts, Mooji, Sadghuru, and Adyashanti for inspiration.

Watts, Mooji, Sadghuru...nice mix? 

@Ethan_05 Awakening is the most amazing thing ever. You literally become God.

Your motivation should be: I want to know what reality is and why it exists!

Tap into that deep curiosity until it's the primary thing driving your life.

Or find some other way to frame it. If you're a God-believing person, then you could frame it as: I want to know what God is!

Since you are young and in high school, you have LOTS of free time, especially during the summer. Stop screwing around and do a 10-day meditation retreat. You can easily get a glimpse into awakening within those 10 days. And then you'll have your motivation.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@Ethan_05 Awakening is the most amazing thing ever.

Orders of magnitude beyond anyone’s wildest imagination. 

1 minute ago, Leo Gura said:

@Ethan_05 Awakening is the most amazing thing ever.

Your motivation should be: I want to know what reality is and why it exists.

Tap into that deep curiosity until it's the primary thing driving your life.

Thanks Leo! This helps a ton. I found that I often get caught up in the intellectualizing of these practices and I just need to get back to my roots of a deep curiosity for life and reality and use that as my motivation.

Becoming Conscious

@robdl That's what I've heard, but that's the very same problem I was explaining in my first post. This thread has really gone full circle, we're back where we started. Enlightenment is probably wild, but I won't know that until I experience and thus only main motivation is a curiosity for life and reality.

Becoming Conscious

Well,If you're not curious enough then suffering will be your other option.

You're still young and at least relatively happy. Life hasn't given you it's championship beat down enough to be motivated.
Get out there and take your obligatory 10 + years of ass whoopin's like everybody else.
Then you'll be ready.

Edited by who chit

@who chit

15 minutes ago, who chit said:

Well,If you're not curious enough then suffering will be your other option.

You're still young and at least relatively happy. Life hasn't given you it's championship beat down enough to be motivated.
Get out there and take your obligatory 10 + years of ass whoopin's like everybody else.
Then you'll be ready.

Why do you think I need to take 10+ years of ass whoopin?

I'm ready right now.  As long as I can continuously foster of a curiosity for the nature of the self, mind, consciousness and reality at large. There's no reason to wait 10+ years before getting started when I can start now and get ready for the brutality of life and suffer less in the process by becoming more conscious at a younger age. 

Note: This rebuttal wan't meant to be like an ego backlash, I just want to honestly and kindly criticize and question your logic at work. In the nicest way possible, was this reply just the bubbling up of your conceptual self who went through suffering and thus thinks that I need to feel the same ass whoopin of life before I'm where you are and can take on this process?

Edited by Ethan_05

Becoming Conscious

“Curiosity” is understated. It has to be a thirst, a yearning, a drive. The ultimate and fundamental desire of your life.

Edited by robdl

@robdl True. What if we could better communicate this by combining the two connotations, like Thirst for Truth, a yearning curiosity, curiosity drive. Now that's more like. 

Again, so true. Stating it this separate way better gets the point across about how crucial and powerful this drive needs to be in order to get past the ego that doesn't want to know its true nature.

Becoming Conscious

Why do you think I need to take 10+ years of ass whoopin?

I'm ready right now.  As long as I can continuously foster of a curiosity for the nature of the self, mind, consciousness and reality at large. There's no reason to wait 10+ years before getting started when I can start now and get ready for the brutality of life and suffer less in the process by becoming more conscious at a younger age. 

Nah,this wasn't logic at work,lol. Apologies. It was a feeble attempt at bad humor.

However,many people do turn to spirituality to relieve suffering. The Buddha's primary motivation to seek enlightenment was to end the suffering he and the many others that were also having to endure suffering. To anyone in a suffering state,attaining the bliss and joy that enlightenment promises,is one hell of incentive to consider taking on the endeavor.

Edited by who chit

It will only show you this

• The reason why you cannot die, ever
  • The reason why you are not even alive in the first place
  • What reality is
  • What you are (your body is not you, that body both is and is in you) 

Really think what I just said. Read that list again. Look at your golf club. It's only literally you. It really is. The ball is also. Also they both are nothing. Just like you. Right now you are fooling yourself big time, so ridiculously big, that your entire existence depends on it. 

Now look around you, everyone else is in a state of subtle or non subtle panic and avoidance over not knowing any of those things, their entire lives primary motivation is to NOT realize. 

It's the ultimate glitch in the matrix. NOTHING compares, absokutely nothing. And Im only speaking from two experiences, where I realized only a few aspects of the truth. 

Edited by molosku

3 hours ago, Ethan_05 said:

@robdl That's what I've heard, but that's the very same problem I was explaining in my first post. This thread has really gone full circle, we're back where we started. Enlightenment is probably wild, but I won't know that until I experience and thus only main motivation is a curiosity for life and reality.

you have an interest in enlightenment, the seed is planted

from now on whatever you do you know the truth, your carry this seed inside you like a growing fire

you are enlightened, the momentum is there, however small it is it's going to keep going, rising

you've done it

go do whatever you want to do, be free, every experience that you have will only nourish this fire,

meditate or party, whatever it is, this fire will be with you, watching with you

you can never lie to yourself, you can never pretend, the truth is there like a diamond, one that is alive

this diamond will reflect the truth in any situation of life, any activity, any place, with anyone

no matter what you do, you will get closer to enlightenment, so enjoy

Stellars interact with Terrans from ÓB (Earth’s Low Orbit).!