LiakosN

Egoic Meditation

18 posts in this topic

How can I know if my meditation is coming from my ego, in other words, how do I know if my ego is meditating and how do I know if my meditation is coming from the "higher" Self? I am using breathing meditation for almost 2 years.

You've slept a hundred nights, And what has it brought you? For your self, for your God, Wake up! Wake up! Sleep no more.

Check your monkey chatter about the ego. 

You're in your higher self when you're not confused about if you are in your higher self or not.

Memento Mori

@LiakosN In your thinking, you have split your consciousness into two, the higher, and therefore, lower, selves. Tell me, what is your experience of being two like? I am very curious, as I have only experienced being one. Allow the simplicity & clarity of direct experience. There is no need to add to it with thinking. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Truth What do I need to check for the ego?

@NahmYes, I am constantly in a state of duality. Hmm my experience of being seperate has a lot of fear, anxiety, need for approval and control, need to be the best by judging. I feel that people should treat me better and a lot more. 

You've slept a hundred nights, And what has it brought you? For your self, for your God, Wake up! Wake up! Sleep no more.

There is no such thing as meditation coming from ego or higher self.

Learn several definitions of the word ego, try to really understand what that word means when spiritual people use it. Learn the word non-duality (that's what higher self means) as well. Then you will understand that your question makes no sense.

@Privet I do not agree with you. I've heard in one of adyashanti's retreats on YouTube that the ego is meditating in some cases. 

@LiakosN Since the higher self doesn't exist who else can meditate except ego? The higher self is the consciousness of the ego meditating. When you pay attention, who is aware of that process? Who is aware of the intention to focus? Who is aware of the sense of "I meditate"?

@Privet am meditating I am witnessing my own thoughts. I am aware of the process of meditation. But I don't know what I mean when I say "I".. 

@LiakosN  Who doesn't know? Who is aware of the thought "I don't know"? Who is witnessing "I"?

Edited by Privet

5 hours ago, LiakosN said:

How can I know if my meditation is coming from my ego, in other words, how do I know if my ego is meditating and how do I know if my meditation is coming from the "higher" Self? I am using breathing meditation for almost 2 years.

That’s a great question. 

If you go into it very deeply you will see that any movment of will, volition, ‘premeditation’ is a movement of ego/thought. 

Its waht I refer to as trying to use time to ‘reachor grasp for’ timelessness. 

Thats actually a very great question?

Up to You to figure out. You can figure this out without another’s advice. 

Although to inquire into the nature of psychological time may help?

@LiakosN whenever you try to think in terms of meditation as something you did in time. Like "I meditate for 10 years" or "I meditate 1 hour a day". There is no such thing as "meditated for x amount of time". You can't set a timer for meditation. wanting to time it and then feel good about it is the same as a kid that feels good after he has done his homework. Humans love homework to feel satisfied afterwards, and to add something to the story of "having done that" or "doing this and that daily". So ask yourself if you are "meditating" because you think it will get you anything, or because you think you will go somewhere, because you get something out of it in the future. You will never get a reward in the future for meditating.

7 hours ago, LiakosN said:

@Truth What do I need to check for the ego?

consciousness of your thoughts/ interpretations. 

Memento Mori

@Echoes Oh, wow! I think I am meditating, because I want to prove myself that I have the discipline to do it. I also meditate to tell to others that I do it so they will admire me more. I meditate to achieve liberation. I meditate so that I will feel superior and more "spiritual" than others. I am fking feeding the ego  

2 hours ago, Privet said:

@LiakosN  Who doesn't know? Who is aware of the thought "I don't know"? Who is witnessing "I"?

I don't know. I am aware of this thought and I am witnessing me. Isn't this a strange loop ? 

2 hours ago, Faceless said:

Although to inquire into the nature of psychological time may help?

I guess that psychological time refers to the thoughts (mainly images) that come to the mind that is projecting to the future or goes back into the past memories. What do you think ? 

6 hours ago, LiakosN said:

I guess that psychological time refers to the thoughts (mainly images) that come to the mind that is projecting to the future or goes back into the past memories. What do you think ? 

I found some great writings on psychological time and posted them as a topic?

Edited by Faceless

ego is what starts meditation, until meditation becomes a process for it's own sake. that's when it starts to wash ego off :)

whatever arises, love that

Today I said that I'll meditate without a stop watch for half an hour.. In the end I meditated for 1 hour and it felt like 20 or 30 minutes. I

You misunderstand EGO and Higher Self.

EGO in plain words is: WILL POWER/MUSCLES (the surface of reality)

Higher Self is the integration of that focus attention into any particle of your body. You do this by breathing and it is a conquering process of RE-Feeling Yourself every day, in other words become sensitive and more sensitive. (when i say sensitive i am not talking about childish voice per exemple)

We are born and taught to be strong, not be a "pussy". This leads to focusing only on the forehead and mainly head. So in a way, the EGO is go straight to the 3rd eye and wanting everything. The higher Self is the integration of the Whole Body/Mind into your conscious mind so to speak.

<3