StephenK

How can anything be truly known?

9 posts in this topic

The presupposition of an external universe can not be taken to be ultimately true, and hence the presupposition of causality can not be taken to be true. We simply do not know that the universe did not come into being 10 seconds ago, and that all self-referential narratives from before are simply an illusion.

All the axioms underlying logic (that we use to determine causal relationships between thoughts) are also simply assumed to be true. Since this is the case, nothing can be truly known. Any talk of what is/isn't is falling prey to the axioms of logic and materialism. Since these axioms are assumed to be true, how can any claims about reality (such as the Absolute or Relative) be taken seriously if all of them use these axioms to validate their nature? That is, give me an answer without falling prey to one of these axioms. It seems that the only thing that is true is awareness itself – anything we infer beyond that is simply conjecture.

2 minutes ago, Outer said:

Because you falsely assume that logic and materialism is the axiom or presuppositions of which everything else shall arrive. Truth is, nothing else, and nothing else exists. Which is consciousness. Which is the absolute. I don't know why I and many others say different words for the same thing.

This does not make anything unnecessary. The relative is necessary for the absolute. What's being conscious is being conscious of is necessary for being conscious. Yin, Yang.

To infer any meaning from the words you wrote, you assumed the logic underlying the syntax of the English language. I don't see how one can make authentic claims about the relationships between experiences without assuming some set of rules which govern those claims. When I drop all assumptions about what is, all I see is experience -- nothing else. Anything beyond this seems to be an assumption.

@Outer Papa, that's just color and form -- I don't see a thing called 'tree'. :D

I dont see a tree, I see a picture on a screen S-C-R-E-E-N

Dont look at me! Look inside!

3 hours ago, StephenK said:

The presupposition of an external universe can not be taken to be ultimately true, and hence the presupposition of causality can not be taken to be true. We simply do not know that the universe did not come into being 10 seconds ago, and that all self-referential narratives from before are simply an illusion.

All the axioms underlying logic (that we use to determine causal relationships between thoughts) are also simply assumed to be true. Since this is the case, nothing can be truly known. Any talk of what is/isn't is falling prey to the axioms of logic and materialism. Since these axioms are assumed to be true, how can any claims about reality (such as the Absolute or Relative) be taken seriously if all of them use these axioms to validate their nature? That is, give me an answer without falling prey to one of these axioms. It seems that the only thing that is true is awareness itself – anything we infer beyond that is simply conjecture.

The absolute is what you are. If you haven’t directly experienced it, then yes, what you are is just an idea - to “you” (another idea).

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Joseph Maynor That's the thing, all my knowledge is starting to look like illusion. Knowledge appears to be just more thought (which is just made of feelings, sounds, sights, etc). Every perspective I take seems to eat itself logically. The desire to have a perspective is falling away. All that is left is the immediacy of consciousness in this present moment. 

@StephenK That's right, all knowledge is actually BEING.

There isn't even experience. There is only being.

The Absolute is beyond all language, knowledge, or logic.

But it is there! You are it.

Any further questions you ask is you staying stuck in the mind and failing to understand that being is incommunicable.

Therefore the only right next step is to shut your mouth and sit silently.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.