Mj Kumar

Is vegetarianism required for yoga or spirituality in general?

12 posts in this topic

Does meat consumption hinder raising of the so-called 'prana' in Kriya Yoga practice ?

Some people, (like the guy in the video below) recommend a strict vegetarian diet for spirituality.

This guy could either be bullshitting or saying the truth. I can't tell.

Has anyone done real research on this topic ? 

My apologies if there has already been a similar topic posted or if Leo has talked about it earlier.

Please post your comments.

It is not. Many "spiritual" people like Benhino Massaro or Eckart Tolle eat meat.

Everything is one. The issue is suffering during lifetime for me. And suffering is related for animals to conditions of living not to the death itself which last just a moment.

My view is now that etical reasons for veganism are just a rationalization. Real reason is to  consume more lectins which will make body less elastic (due to deminerazitation). Everything is relative depending on where we are. 

Edited by bigzbigi

If you want the purest consciousness drink only pure water :P If that's your path if you really want enlightenment more than anything else >.< The less in the body the purer and cleaner the connection to source. Of course it is not required but in my opinion is the fastest way to rediscover the self and reconnect.

B R E A T H E

that guy is a huge scammer.

however i am not sure, because different people function better on different diets. Theres no such thing as a diet that suits everyone. 

spiritually, it would make sense of course. dead meat=low prana, and consumption causes your body to absorb that low prana. However scientifically, benefits from meat (IN BALANCE!!!) are immense. Then you have your blood type diets. I am not sure if it has a big base in credibility, but it is featured on webmd, and so far has been accurate regarding both me and my whole family. Blood type A specifically benefits a vegetarian and/or vegan diet. Type B and AB also can benefit well, although they are recommended to occasionally have some fish. Its type O, the "caveman blood type" that say function muuchhhh better on meats. 

now if your a heavy meat eater right now, i would first focus on cleaning your meats (meaning making sure they are organic, blah blah, it has little meaning but at least its better than the crap general supermarkets have) AND UP^^^^ your intake of veggies and fruits by ALOT. this will increase your vitality like crazy and you will have no problem regarding spiritual work. Make sure you are eating so much veggies in your main meals that there is practically no room for bread, sugary sweets, etc. 

Copied from another thread with some edits and additions:

After experimenting with the Blood Type diet, and looking into the "debunkings" of it, I can say with a good degree of confidence that it works pretty well, and the debunkings are pretty shoddy scientific work (as is anything when it involves holism.)  Maybe not 100% but it's up there, high correlation for sure.

Since most people in the West are type O or A, you do get the mostly paleo/atkins vs. mostly vegetarian camps dominating the scene.

Most people who are comfortably vegetarian/vegan are likely not type O (most A.)

Most people who love their organic grass-fed beef are type O.

No diet is universal.  Diet needs to be personalized.

Blood type is a good starting point.  Eventually I will explore the GenoType diet which will narrow it down even more.

Is it possible the discrepancy in dietary teaching among gurus is due to blood type/body type/genetic makeup? :)

Edited by Haumea

Yes, Vegetarianism is the obvious moral thing to do. And it does have to do with spirituality. Because spirituality is all about becoming conscoius.

So if you are eating meat than it's time for you to become conscious of the fact that you are causing tremendous suffering in animals. 

Most likely if you become really conscious of this fact you will not eat meat again. 

@bigzbigi what are you talking about. The reason they suffer in their poor living conditions is because we want to eat them. This is unnecessary suffering. If everything is relative because we are all ONE anyway, than you should have no problem being an Auschwitz gaurd as well. Everything is one right, all is relative. Let's do some genocide!!

sorry if i came off super mega preachy here. I'm saying it to myself just as much as saying it to all of you.

This explains it best IMO

B R E A T H E

you just cant rationalize your way out of this topic. You know what you're doing. Just know what you're doing and thats it. Experiment for yourself because the meat eaters are gonna say its okay and the vegetarian is gonna say not okay. Everything in between will just confuse you even more. I quit meat, I personally feel like shit and I feel like I have a backpack full of dead body while meditating or any purification work. I ultimately realized I can do this whole process by avoiding feeling like i am climbing up a mountain with a heavy backpack and also I was highly addicted to meat, I cant even remember a day without eating meat until i quit a while ago. So yeah see for yourself. 

I remember hearing someone say (I think it was Sadhguru) that the more complex the meal is (meat for example) the harder the body has to work to break down and absorb the nutrients. Whereas something like a banana is very simple and the body expends less energy breaking it down and absorbing it. Like all things, I think that moderation is key here. Meat in your diet probably isn't going to block your enlightenment journey.

@Mj Kumar Think about it in terms of regular density. Consider extremes like a huge traditional Thanksgiving meal vs a lighter vegetarian meal. How would you feel, think, do - how much clarity after eating each? 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE