Shanmugam

Beware of Neo-advaita Trap- Read this long elaborate essay

66 posts in this topic

I think what some people have difficulty with in this is that an enlightenment experience, this process, this understanding is merely a growth phase. A condensed growth phase, but from my experience a growth phase none the less. What causes you to heal and reconcile your life, what you've been taught, understanding. Like a growth spurt or puberty in your teens. People are just growing up through a very rapid process of understanding in their own minds. For some reason, probably because of the way human society has developed, it typically takes quite extreme circumstances to have an experience of "enlightenment", or a boost in maturation. What I see from Neo-Advaita is like an analogy I made before. A person who has been locked in a room their entire life only to finally be released and to see for the first time that there is an outdoors and to experience the outdoors might for a time develop an aversion to the indoors or confined rooms. Not simply holding a belief comfortably recognizing it is one, but instead clinging to it in desperation. Reconciling and balancing duality with non-duality and being cautious not to vilify duality. To not discard aspects of reality. This said person might then cling to the outdoors desperately until they start to become uncomfortable where others might say, "Just come inside, get some food, rest. You've been outdoors for days!" They might rail against it. Like a form of ptsd, if you will, out of fear of being confined again. When a person experiences true freedom it can be entirely overwhelming and a person will want to cling to something, to have a sense of control to stabilize themselves and feel safe amidst such freedom. For a person just coming into this understanding Neo-Advaita teachings might be helpful at pointing the way, but to not grasp and cling in desperation after an understanding has been made like clinging onto a hot coal. Unless one wants to of course. It's up to the person to choose and to reconcile. You can help and assist people with a lot of things, but unfortunately you cannot assist with another's mind. They have to do that themselves.

I've warned you guys about Neo-Advaita in the the Becoming A Zen Devil video.

The further I progress in this work, the more problems I see with Neo-Advaita. Although, like all teachings, it has got its pros and cons. You definitely can't rely on Neo-Advaita to lead you to mastery of self or consciousness. It's more like an intro to enlightenment for Western newbs.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

One, two, duality this, non-duality that, you must, we must, this, that, pickle, tomato, seek, don't seek, consept this, consept that, opinion, truth, absolute, wave,  ocean, no-mind, teacher that, no teaching this

This forum is such a mess. Yes, this post has no value. 

BUT VALUE DOES NOT EXIST! HAHA got you, if you wrinkled your nose reading this. 

31 minutes ago, molosku said:

This forum is such a mess.

Well, trying to find what´s true is a messy business.

14 hours ago, SOUL said:

Do you?

Yes I do. 

14 hours ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Deep said:

@Joseph Maynor @Shanmugam @SOUL Don't you guys get tired of intellectualizing? 

Questioning beliefs is what reduces ignorance which is what gets you Enlightened.  It's odd that this needs to be pointed out.  There's always someone who chimes in like clockwork at regular intervals on this Forum challenging thinking with more thinking!  Seen that before haha?   Do you see a paradox there?  It's like -- dude if you were really against thinking you wouldn't be on here.  Common sense right?  Let's not have a double-standard.  Pretending to be "anti-thinking" sounds good, but upon reflection it's quite silly and trite.  And predictable to boot!  

I'm not against thinking. I'm against being trapped in the maya. You run the risk of becoming more delusional if you sit on this forum and talk about spirituality all day. Your philosophical studying has to be balanced with practices in real life. It's not a personal attack against you. Anyway do whatever you want. 

The unborn Lord has many incarnations. BPHS 

Foster is basically complaining that other Enlightened people are more enlightened than he is.  And he’s trying to redefine Enlinghtenment to suit his own Egoic preference to life.  His essay is probably the most elaborate rationalization I’ve ever seen.  Sure dude — keep believing that.  But the dudes you criticize are still more enlightened than you are.  That’s what I kept saying as I read and then re-read the article.  Pure rationalization of his own Egoic beliefs about reality.  His problem is that he hasn’t found the unchanging Soul.

Edited by Joseph Maynor