Joseph Maynor

Can We Get Some Clarity On These Words: Maya, Brahman, Atman

13 posts in this topic

Maya — The illusion of Ego and External World.  Aka belief.

Brahman — Reality as it is versus what belief says it is.  Aka reality.

Atman — The Meta perspective of awareness of reality in the present moment.  Aka awareness.

1. Maya = Belief; Belief = Maya
  2. Brahman = Reality; Reality = Brahman
  3. Atman = Awareness; Awareness = Atman

Atman = Brahman; Brahman = Atman

• Awareness = Reality; Reality = Awareness

//

Offer your definitions too so we can compare.  This is just fun with concepts, don’t take it too seriously.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

8 minutes ago, Mighty Mouse said:

So Parabrahman is what's left without perception, i.e. it is truth as opposed to appearance.

@Mighty Mouse Agreed. So isn't that a fair distinction between Brahman and Para Brahman? Para Brahman would have no conscious awareness( no knowing) where Brahman does.

23 minutes ago, Mighty Mouse said:

you've pushed brahman over to the belief-side and made it equivalent to atman+maya.

@Mighty Mouse I know. That's where it belongs.

This is how I see it..

Maya Everything in reality and in the world exist, everything we experience, everything that we perceive through perception is made of something. In that sense it's not illusions. Every experience must be made out of something, a substance if you like. But we never perceive reality as it really is, we have a blind spot that let us see the world/reality from a dualistic perspective. And from that personal dualistic perspective it's fair to say that Everything is an illusion. But every experience, even illusions must be made of something(a substance), in that sense the world is not an illusion. Something is. We never perceive it as it is though, and this is precisely what maya refers to.

Brahman is to me the shared infinite consciousness that everything arise from. Every object, every human/animal/mineral arise from this infinite awareness that is everything and nothing at the same time, but this infinite everything/nothing is self aware and without any objective qualities! 

Atman refers to the infinite awareness in a certain individual. You can argue that Atman is personal, but when you discover Atman fully in yourself you discover that you found Brahman. There is no difference what so ever. 

Please respond to me if I got it right! Thanks! 

Isn't it so, yes or no? 

Anything we think about, reflect upon is within the field of reality. We Can’t know what is outside of reality. So any ideas, theory’s, concepts we have are contained within the field of reality. 

Edited by Faceless

31 minutes ago, Mighty Mouse said:

Maybe. Or maybe that's where you pefer it, because it relegates parabrahman (truth) to secondary status and rescues you from having to deconstruct the world.

No, I'm saying Brahman is on the side of "secondary Status", as you refer to it. Not Parabrahman. Parabrahman is Brahman beyond all knowing. Parabrahman is the absolute and Brahman is rays of the absolute.

Negate everything the mind has accumulated through time and this becomes much more pleasant and clear. All these concepts and such are a hinderance 

Edited by Faceless

Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Atman!

Is that not right? Nevermind.....

Yea, now it's stuck in your head....

Edited by SOUL

To understand the falseness of these concepts one negates them totaly. 

47 minutes ago, Mighty Mouse said:

I mean secondary status in your own mind, i.e. as something "out there" that has no real significance to "this here".

That's always the danger of course. Turning it into another word game, which always serves self-deception.

@Mighty Mouse You came up with all that. All I did was offer the word Parabrahman to @Joseph Maynor's list for consideration.O.o

@Joseph Maynor There’s God dreaming. That’s all. It’s critical to see for one’s self that the entire history which these terms come from is YOUR OWN ILLUSION. Nothing ever happened. Time is literally your illusion. All history is actually just the same illusion that you are seeing and hearing right now. There is no difference. It’s a facade if believed.

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE