Monkey-man

One universal law that should be taught in schools

18 posts in this topic

rephrasing buddha

1. First and foremost everyone needs to feel good (on a stable basis)

2. To feel good one must not suffer

3. Suffering (on a stable basis) arises from identification with self-image (body/mind) which has inherently unstable nature (because its not our natural state of being)

4. Disidentification with self-image is the only stable way to eliminate suffering

5. Therefore, realisation of non-dual state (which is also our natural state of being) where one no longer identifies with self-image is the most important thing anyone can apply in life

Do you agree that this must be a universal law and taught and applied in schools?

Edited by Monkey-man

It could be good, but i fear people might take it on blind faith

One thing I dislike about schools is that they encourage you NOT to question any of it, so my concern would be that if we were to teach the 'truth' about non duality i think a lot of people would end up taking it on blind faith, not doing the work, and getting lost and stuck, and end up just lubing the ego in the process. Hey, wouldn't be funny to be in a ego-free enviroment that is run by egos? oh wait...

@Monkey-man Also would the schools's purpose change to just "enlighten" people or to make the current system work just a little bit better?

@George Paul all of the above

@lens to not turn it into blind faith schools have to teach why exactly (to not to suffer) natural state is important to realise PLUS applying that (maybe teach meditation and other practices and also theory)

enlightening will make current system work better, all starts from healthy psychology

@Monkey-man I agree with your first sentence but i'm on the fence on the second, I think it will make the lives of people, well for a lack of a better term, less filled with bullshit and delusions, but i think the current system would sort of crumble, when you see that there's nothing that needs to be doing the whole game becomes pointless, even enlightment. I don't think you can take the dream seriously after you wake up. Hope to be wrong though, who knows, could be funner

Perhaps to begin teaching concepts on healthy psychology and philosophy better than they do today. But I wonder if teaching meditation and concepts on enlightenment is a bit too early in life? Meditation, enlightenment and kundalini experiences can be very intense and cause the need for a bit of difficult integration afterward. I know that might've been difficult on my developing mind if I'd've had an experience like that then. Not to say it shouldn't be more prominent in our society. Just perhaps to an older variety?

@lens I don't agree, you still wanna eat, you still have your wants and needs, so you still will earn money and consume. but you probably gonna pick things that you really need and really enjoy for the sake of enjoyment, and avoid things that you do to compensate yourself

so even capitalism will progress towards higher-quality consumption and things that ppl really need and more healthy kinds of enjoyment

dogs are in non-dual state, and they still do things and play and enjoy life

@YellowButterfly should be gradual. you learn simple maths in first grade, and then advance towards trigonometry in higher school. same should be with meditation and staff

half of my all years at school was such a waste of time, imho its a waste of time for almost everyone. i'd better meditate for all that time instead of pretending that i'm listening to teacher.

also i think the very reason why teenagers have low interest to studies is because they develop huge self-image by that age 

also i think the very reason why teenagers have low interest to studies is because they develop huge self-image by that age 

@Monkey-man i mostly agree but i think that depends, back in highschool there was this kid who for 4 years straight had all grades 95+, but i could tell from miles away that he didn't care about truth or personal develompment, and he was well known for it, the teachers loved the guy. but when you say low interest to study do you mean to study more than the subject given(go beyond) or to actually develop interest in the subject? Or do you mean like the ego gets its head stuck in its own superficial interest too much and refuses to learn anything? Because even if no-self was realized there would still be a lot of useless stuff taught with the current system. I'm all for teaching about pyschology and non duality but i'd still want a class where you are taught to question and actually research all that you learned. Yeah I think it could be fun, I think it's highly unlikely that it will happen but again, hope to be wrong.

also about the dog thing, i have proof, it has become one with it

giphy.gif

Edited by lens

At least 4 of those 5 statements contradict Leo's teachings and Buddhism by large.

1.  First and most important: raise consciousness not feeling good

2.  Suffering is the process to get to 1 AND suffering is feeling good in the same time. Can't avoid suffering

3.  this is questionable: I think that our natural state of being is to identify with the mind. We need an extraordinary attempt to get rid of that

4. We don't know it is the ONLY way. Just maybe, it is A way.

5.  This, despite could be true, still sounds like a dogma. 

Actually, all 5 statements together smell like a new dogma, a little religion based on 5 sacred statements which will have to be learned by heart by the children. For example, statement nr 4 might be translated as this: do not search other ways to eliminate suffering cause you might be reported to the school principal or get arrested.

Buddhism is contradicted because suffering is a central part of it, and by large, it highly advocates for accepting suffering as part of life, not rejecting it.

Edited by George Paul

13 minutes ago, George Paul said:

1.  First and most important: raise consciousness not feeling good

2.  Suffering is the process to get to 1 AND suffering is feeling good in the same time. Can't avoid suffering

3.  this is questionable: I think that our natural state of being is to identify with the mind. We need an extraordinary attempt to get rid of that

4. We don't know it is the ONLY way. Just maybe, it is A way.

5. same as 3

1. It does feel good once your ego stop resisting and you disidentify with it, the process itself has suffering that’s true

2. Can, suffering is there to outgrow it and reach happy end. That’s the point, there’s no point in suffering for whole life but there is in overcoming it and learning ur lessons

3. Animals and kids are in nondual state, so it is natural, also they rarely suffer

4. It’s the only stable way as far as I see, everything else is finite and hence unstable, only being is always there, learning how to be more being is hence only stable thing