MisterMan

Is Loving Kindness Meditation a distraction?

15 posts in this topic

Hi all. I feel like Loving kindness is a distraction. Just like any other emotion you have. So why does this meditation exist and why is it so popular? What am i missing?

I'd really appreciate some thoughts and guidance with this.

Edited by MisterMan

Ok, i find it quite confusing. As I'm readying Mindfulness: A practical guide to Awakening by Joseph Goldstein and from my perspective the bhuddists seem to understand what is going on so i'm confused as to how they could misjudge something like this?

But bringing it back to what i mean is i feel that doing loving kindness is a misunderstanding. But i guess the fact that it's difficult to do perhaps is a way to balance the scales within you. As i do harbour resentment and perhaps with loving kindness meditation they acknowledge it is a misunderstanding but so is anger/hate etc.

@MisterMan I chose loving kindness meditation as my domain of mastery so I hope it’s not a distraction ? from what I studied, cultivating warm heartedness is the key to deep happiness.  

what is a distraction? is distraction bad? why would loving kindness be a distraction? why would someone want loving kindness if it ain't just a distraction? what do you want in life? 

5 hours ago, alyra said:

what is a distraction? is distraction bad? why would loving kindness be a distraction? why would someone want loving kindness if it ain't just a distraction? what do you want in life? 

In the sense of wanting to liberate yourself from attachment to form, of which all form is impermanent, yet we cling to it as if it's going to last, but it never does.

I feel loving kindness meditation can have this type of effect where you don't want to let go of the pleasant feelings. Which is why i asked what peoples thoughts of this are.

because shit yeah i want to wrap myself around warm and fuzzy love, but i feel it's the same thing as desiring not to desire. Like it's kind of missing the point.

Edited by MisterMan

@MisterMan No, it is not a distraction, if you apply it properly.

Practicing unconditional love is a great way to open the heart chakra and gradually cleanse yourself of the stranglehold of ego.

I wouldn't count on it to enlighten you (although it could), but it's a great secondary practice. So your enlightenment also involves the heart, not just the head.

Try loving especially those you hate. And see how much that grows you.

If infinite love isn't spilling out of you, your enlightenment is weak.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo GuraThat is a big IF there. Would love  ( yes, the pun was completely intended) to hear a video about the how to apply love properly.  I have been a drug/alcohol addict for so long, so the lines are very very blurred, it seems i drop one addiction just for another to form. How would this intense form of honing onto something have nothing to do with  attachment?

Appreciate the reply and i will try to do these things you said.

Edited by MisterMan

14 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@MisterMan

Try loving especially those you hate. And see how much that grows you.

Also try loving someone for who they are - free of the fear of losing a self interest.

I'm gaining awareness of a higher love with my gf. Yet it has nothing to do with her per se. It seems that developing this higher love involves being ok with all possibilities, including losing my status as her one and only lover. What a paradox.

14 hours ago, MisterMan said:

@Leo GuraThat is a big IF there. Would love  ( yes, the pun was completely intended) to hear a video about the how to apply love properly.  I have been a drug/alcohol addict for so long, so the lines are very very blurred, it seems i drop one addiction just for another to form. How would this intense form of honing onto something have nothing to do with  attachment?

Appreciate the reply and i will try to do these things you said.

Actually, it's not a big IF. You don't have to worry too much about over-doing love. Just make sure it's true unconditional love, not egoic clinging for thing. True unconditional love is selfless and it's about giving, not taking or having or needing.

If you're an addict, try some psychedelics. They are the fastest cure I know. You need to experience what unconditional love is, and they will show you that. Just be ware, if you have a lot of inner demons (which of course you do if you're a serious addict), they will be faced during your trips, and that will be challenging. But that's real growth.

LSD is a good substance. Start very low. And take full responsibility for yourself. This is not medical advice.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

8 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

LSD is a good substance. Start very low. And take full responsibility for yourself. This is not medical advice.

@Leo Gura I'll have my lawyers call your lawyers.

In regard to your whole post i'm all aboard the psychedelic train. I've done it this much << >>> and i'm a boss at tripping. When i say boss i mean i cry in terror as I identify with every thought that passes through me.

I posted a thread in the video suggestion about opening the heart which actually goes into a psychedelic experience i had recently about my heart opening. I mention this as it does kind of relate to the suggestions you made to me in your last post. I do trip a few times a year but since it's sandwiched in with me returning to my state of attachment. Addiction is basically spiritual limbo, so trips won't do now. I feel that at this point in time meditating daily, will be more beneficial. Once a few months has passed i will take some when i feel i have moved on from that state of "limbo".

The thread i posted in video suggestions directly relates to your suggestions.

In showing my thanks, in my next loving kindness meditiation session you will be my target of compassion.

Edited by MisterMan

9 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

Also try loving someone for who they are - free of the fear of losing a self interest.

I'm gaining awareness of a higher love with my gf. Yet it has nothing to do with her per se. It seems that developing this higher love involves being ok with all possibilities, including losing my status as her one and only lover. What a paradox.

Yes, i remember this feeling, love kind of dissolves all of your fears. The best quote i heard with regard to infinite love is. When you notice a "troubling thought" through this infinite compassion, instead of letting it go you hold onto it and love it, and as you do it let's go of you. That loose writing of the quote near brings a tear to my eye.

Edited by MisterMan

10 hours ago, beaucoup said:

@MisterMan You might be interested in the Model for Awakening by Lyn Hunsted from the Temple of Authentic Divinity. 

http://www.templeofauthenticdivinity.com/model-for/

It gives an idea on how metta-meditation fits in with other spiritual practices, even with psychedelics - and what role it can play in Awakening.  

This is fantastic! Thank you! You really are too much!

To see if i got this right. Each type of practice is linked to one of the 3 factors. So whichever you feel you need you can start having a more pinpoint goal from each excercise as you know the effects of each practice.

A question that gets raised by this; Are there any models? Or patterns that others have found useful? A certain order to get the results?

Edited by MisterMan

@MisterMan I still totally suck at meditation... except for "love" meditation.... it happens very visually and energetically for me, it's incredible....I wish I could somehow show you both visually and sensorially what it's like....I've had the most amazing experiences with this... you can get to the point of sending this out, and the world likely needs more love sent out.... as there seems to be a lot of hate... it apparently re-wires you for more happiness as well.... so without even intending it, you may experience more self-love as well.... happy loving :)