Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pristinemn

How to eat enough calories the healthy way ?

12 posts in this topic

It took me some years to know what is healthy for me, and to lose my appetite for junk food. I got those aspects of health down now though. There remains one problem: how do I eat enough calories the healthy way ? I need 2650 calories a day. I can get about 2000 calories in comfortably. Specific examples why this is so hard:

- I don't want to eat grains, because I consider them very unhealthy.
- I don't want to eat too many eggs, it makes my skin flaky.
- I don't want to eat more than 1 avocado a day: too much cholesterol.
- I don't want to eat tons of dried fruit, sugary fruit, potatoes: too much sugar.
- I don't want to have some super complicated diet, that requires more than 2 hours of cooking/preparing every day.
- I don't want to eat more than 40 grams of nuts a day: way too many PUFA's and omega 6.
- I don't want to just go lower on calories: that will destroy my metabolism and make me drop down to an unhealthy weight again.
- I want to keep dairy very limited. A bit of yoghurt and cheese here and there works fine for me, but in substantial amounts my skin and intestines suffer.
- High quality meat and fish works fine for me, but in large quantities will give me serious health risks in the long term (traces of metal, colon cancer, etc).

Please don't tell me I should eat vegan, vegan/vegetarian leaves me very weak and starving. And it's even more restricting.

Edited by Pristinemn

I have the same issue and at the moment and I went back to eating grains, but that's only a temporary solution.

I hope someone can give some valuable advice on this.

A first little solution might be olive oil. Caloric dense, mainly mono-unsaturated fat.

Look into how high intakes of dietary cholesterol is perfectly safe and healthy and does not correlate with high levels of cholesterol within the body. Also, avocados don't have any cholesterol. If you mean fats, again a high fat diet is perfectly safe and healthy. Eat as many avocados as you'd like, they're one of the very best foods on planet earth 

“Curiosity killed the cat.”

brown rice, potatoes, bananas, seeds, turkey and chicken, honey, nuts, lentils, beans...

Edited by Moreira

8 hours ago, InfinitePotential said:

Look into how high intakes of dietary cholesterol is perfectly safe and healthy and does not correlate with high levels of cholesterol within the body. Also, avocados don't have any cholesterol. If you mean fats, again a high fat diet is perfectly safe and healthy. Eat as many avocados as you'd like, they're one of the very best foods on planet earth 

You are so right about the avocados. For some reason I was convinced they were full of cholesterol. My blood work shows LDL cholesterol levels that are too high when I go very high on eggs (3-4 a day) and saturated fat. It's just how my body works, I agree though that a relatively high fat intake is beneficial.

Anyway, 2 avocados a day instead of 1 will make the grains go away ;) Thanks.

Edited by Pristinemn

@Pristinemn  no amount of plant food will give you a single nanogram of cholesterol. Cholesterol is found solely in animal food. 

If you go on a plant based diet you can eat as much as you want and not get fat as long as you dont start introducing junk and oils. No, I'm not telling you to go vegan and go all crazy about environment and animal rights, I'd recommend you grab a  copy of "How Not To Die" and read what decades of science all aim towards. 

Yes, eggs will skyrocket your cholesterol, dairy and meat increase your cancer, diabetes, lung disease and heart disease risk with every single bite. Even just by frying meat, you inhale toxic PHAs which contribute to lung cancer (without even touching it with your mouth!!). By the age of 10 most of us already have mild atherosclerosis developed from the animal food. 

Having said that, you can achieve tremendous satisfaction with combination of: legumes, sweet potatoes, pseudograins( quinoa, buckwheat, theft, amaranth, millet...), I wouldn't touch gluten containing whey products either. Add to that daily portions of fruits, berries, greens and other veggies as well as nuts and flaxseeds and you are all set. 

Regardless what any ketohead tells you, this is the only diet to permanently avoid top global diseases and prolong life. The science has your back. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

You can try looking into the Mediterranean diet, some of the longest living humans consume a mediterranean diet, It's very healthy, one of the most recommended in the western world.

:D

I think following proper diet guide helps to eat enough calories in healthy way.