Sopot

Why should I go to college?

12 posts in this topic

Im really moved by the videos on Youtube for their reasons to not go to college.I also searched for reasons to go to college and saw great reasons to go for it.Im from Philippines so our education is not that good.When I go to school I always pissed off because almost all of my teachers are lazy,they dont teach us,they just give excercise and thats it even if they did, they cant explain nicely.I just got home from our exam in school.I dont know most of the questions because they didnt teach it.Im pretty good at school .Get good grades and just scored highest on math in exam.Also I can learned so much stuff on youtube than school.Why would I pay hundreds of dollars on my tuition if I can just learn it in Youtube.What are your thoughts guys ??(Here are some videos: 

Edited by Sopot

@Sopot the things about going to school is that you get a structure of what and in what order should you learn. It is not about the content of the lectures but the "framework"

If you are motivated enough, you will actively seek more information then they lecture however the framework that they give you is an excellent guiding line 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Well... what topic are you interested in mastering? 

I think for some (mostly the highly specialized) subjects college is perfect. You get all the tuition in one place and meet good people and you get the framework (as michael sais). Plus you've got external motivation which can either be an advantage or not (i.e. my uni made me study learn much more stuff than I would do otherwise, disadvantage is often it was a neurotic way of studying). For some subjects, you don't need any of that. I wouldn't go off learn physics (which I studied) on my own, there's just so much highly specialized conceptual stuff, but if I wanted to be in a helping profession ... well, it's a shame they make them study so much theory to get a title and be allowed to do some jobs. 

Edited by Elisabeth

On 1/12/2018 at 10:10 PM, Elisabeth said:

Well... what topic are you interested in mastering? 

I think for some (mostly the highly specialized) subjects college is perfect. You get all the tuition in one place and meet good people and you get the framework (as michael sais). Plus you've got external motivation which can either be an advantage or not (i.e. my uni made me study learn much more stuff than I would do otherwise, disadvantage is often it was a neurotic way of studying). For some subjects, you don't need any of that. I wouldn't go off learn physics (which I studied) on my own, there's just so much highly specialized conceptual stuff, but if I wanted to be in a helping profession ... well, it's a shame they make them study so much theory to get a title and be allowed to do some jobs. 

I'm interest about psychology, I'm introvert so I can see the benefits of socializing more.I'm really confused whether should I go or not because the pros and cons are almost equal

On 1/13/2018 at 0:28 PM, Sahil Pandit said:

What type of learning style suits you?

Do you need a teacher in person? Do you do well with textbooks? Can you learn better online? How about fully autodidactic? 

Explore all your possibilities and then lets see what you have to say.

On 1/13/2018 at 0:28 PM, Sahil Pandit said:

What type of learning style suits you?

Do you need a teacher in person? Do you do well with textbooks? Can you learn better online? How about fully autodidactic? 

Explore all your possibilities and then lets see what you have to say.

Can you please explain by learning style?But anyway I'm introvert so I can see benefit of socializing.I'm sure I can understand more online because When I'm in school almost all my teachers can't explain the topic well but in online its so nice,I think that's because I'm from Philippines which is third world country.Second I can really focus on my studies because Im in school my classmates talk to me while in class so that ruins the lesson for me.

What are the pros and cons of going or not going to school in your case?

Sarcaste <3 the Sarcasm in Me acknowledges and honors the Sarcasm in You 

@Sopot I went to college but I don't recommend it to anyone. It's a huge waste of time and money. 

The unborn Lord has many incarnations. BPHS 

Learn how to learn. Meet great friends. Social activities. improve your writing and reading skills. 

If you know what you would like to do and know a way to do it then there is no need. for example im going on design of interactive media because i was told i will learn how to draw there but the subject that emphasizes that is only once a week and in my case i haven't learned anything useful because group is too big and the professor is lazy (depends also on professor) so i took online courses for myself to practice drawing and that's the only thing i would like to do and with that i can go broader, like concept art, illustrations, graphic design (sorta helps but i will learn it alone at some point), 2d animations and the key is to learn how to draw. i spend a lot of my precious time learning history, english, typography etc. which i cant really use pretty much at all because i dont have the basis (classes are useful but not right now because i have a priority, then i will learn more by myself if i see that i can benefit from it). if i knew already how to draw then i might go to broad my perspective. and the drawing is priority right now, so i will drop out after i finish first year (in case i want to get back, but i doubt it :P and its kinda also because of my parents, to "respect" them in a sense). I know what i need to do and what is the process to achieve my goal, so if you have that you don't need it. Also going in college for social activities, finding friends etc. i dont find very useful, there are plenty other ways to do that. don't do the thing because you just should. I'm not saying anything bad about college, its just that in my current situation it isn't worth it. hope you feel your intuition and do what will most benefit you, whatever the choice. Cheers :D

@Sopot Universe is giving you everything and you’re not accepting, really, any of it. It’s laying out a potential for you to go to college, become a teacher, and change the level of education of your city, and your country...and you’re like, meh. 

Universe is showing you how easily distracted you are by other students, and eluding to the power of developing your focus through practices, to be able to reach and help those students as a teacher, to inspire them to the call for their own development, their own reasons and life purposes for doing the practices - that they can wake up and really be alive and love the pursuit of their dream....and you’re all like....meh...maybe.

Universe is whispering these things to you. Listen.  Don’t wait for it to yell. It will. You can count on it, because the universe is you, and you brought yourself here, and you got your back. You’ll do anything to wake you up and get you going on what your purpose is. No need to yell at yourself dude. The whisper is enough, just let it be. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

There’s no universal remedy for everyone. Same with schools and colleges. If you don’t like the one you study in now, then try to find another school. Same with colleges. If you don’t want your college, you can change it. You don’t even have to quit it, make a transfer to another one. I’ve done that. I didn’t like my college and had to work with essayshark all the time, because teachers did nothing, but gave us lots of assignments. I waited till the end of the semester and then changed the place.