Joseph Maynor

Why Do People Always Think of Enlightenment In A Binary Way?

30 posts in this topic

@Buba This experience you are having is the way it goes. We awaken to that contented state of fulfilled being but our "default mode" is still in the discontented state of yearning, so we get a glimpse of it, a taste of that which is possible for us. If you want to find that fulfilled state as a default mode you will have to take on the task of teaching the subconscious self to be it.

Like a parent teaching their child when the ego self comes to you crying 'I want' from that place of desire teach it to be satisfied, tell the ego 'I am contented', 'i am fulfilled', 'I am at peace'. Continuing to affirm satisfaction in life and not agreeing with the ego's identity with desiring eventually that fulfillment will be reflected back by the ego as it's default mode.

Does that mean that yearning will never return? It will revisit the mind less and less over time to the point when it does pop back up it will seem like a hollow memory of a time when we did feel that way, a reminder of far we have come in being present and fulfilled in the moment. The challenge is finding the motivation to be active in life without the hunger, it will reveal how genuinely inspired you are to do what you do.

Edited by SOUL

@Shanmugam right.. I think I got you. We seem to be meeting one another on this. 

These challenges watched carefully don’t effect you psychologically speaking. Because you see that the “you” the center created the image that there is a problem. These problems are caused by thinking according to the thinker who is the the result of measure “thought”

I appreciate you reply friend. And it’s nice to see someone else that has shared this sense of freedom.

Edited by Faceless

Thought is more than just a measure, it's more than a concept or a label or an identity or a feeling or an urge or any of the ways thoughts appear to us, thought in all of it's forms is our subconscious mind communicating something to our conscious mind. So as long as we are biologically alive there will be some involuntary communication going on and our consciousness work is merely cultivating the nature of this activity within our mind.

Even if we create an 'unspoken' language of silence through erasing the line between the subconscious and conscious mind if we ever are to communicate it to another about this silent song in us there will be some form of thought manifesting in the mind to facilitate this... or we can silently be it without communicating it to anyone else leaving our mind to be just as silent as our mouth.

Consider that the next time you want to tell someone what you have in your being. ... and of my own way? I'm at peace with thoughts that may come to mind... they can be entertaining. It is not a belief of mine that absolute silence is any more of precious to be than any other so don't desire it. I accept what is....sometimes that can be a little noisy. I am inspired through music too and music isn't silent either.

Just a thought.

23 hours ago, Faceless said:

Isn't thought binary in nature?

In one sense yes, but in another sense not necessarily.  I can have a continuous conception in contrast to a binary conception of something.   Think of a binary conception like an on-off switch and a continuous conception like a dial.

wireing2.jpg

Dial-up-your-courage-4-1024x683.png

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor

Yes I see your question and this is an important point that needs to be investigated into friend. I think I see what you mean, and why one would think this. 

I’m not sure if you have come to a conclusion already, but maybe we could slowly and carefully explore together. 

Here are some questions in which I see as important. What do you think friend? 

1#  Isn’t this contrasting you speak of binary?

2#  Isn’t a “conception” in of its self binary?

3#  Is not the movement of thought by the thinker binary? 

4#  Doesn’t the “i” a conception, give continuity to a conception that is in contrast with another conception, and is that one main factor in this binary movement?

5#  Is not the movement of thought and the  thinker binary in nature? 

6#  And isn’t something with binary structure dependent in the opposition to something else? 

7#  Is this not a misinterpretation that a supposed “contrasted conception” is actually an insight or perception “something seen actual, something seen as fact, as a perception? 

A movement of itself free from what has been given continuity by the center “thought” memory/knowledge/experience 

And in seeing this fact “insight”, thought, that pattern which is binary becomes less so or totally free from binary structure. 

So that this pattern of thought would fundamentally change and become more orderly. Orderly in the sense not influenced by  measure “psychological time” on behalf of the center. 

For thought to have a capacity to not be influenced by personal, subjective bias. Or the freedom from the compulsion to be psychologically secure. 

8#  And does this binary pattern of thought have something to do with the mechanical nature of fragmentation? 

This is how I approach this. What do you think?

@Joseph Maynor

ill try and get back to you if you have a reply to that. Family limits my time To spend on this forum. But I try lol

On 10/01/2018 at 10:02 PM, Shanmugam said:

@Faceless I can tell you what happened to me. In July 2014, there was a complete destruction of duality.

And there are two things when I say integration:

1. Certain old thought patterns occurred at times and they were emotionally challenging. It didn't affect me as it did before and there was no feeling of misery. Those are just old thought patterns which got triggered by certain situations. Such old patterns take some time to completely run out. It is similar to how the bicycle wheel continues to move forward for a while even after you stop pedalling.

2. Also, for a brief period of time, I was no longer functioning the society the same way I did. I have to get used to living in non-duality and also function in social life. It was pretty much like relearning everything. It is like creating a conscious social identity all over again but it happened very gradually over the last two years. It seems to be complete now.

But these are challenges, not personal problems. They will no longer seem to affect you.

Same...happened with me too

There's Only One Truth!

My book on Enlightenment and Non Duality

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHWCP7H

2 minutes ago, Saumaya said:

Same...happened with me too

I just quoted this thread in another thread! Is this a coincidence? :)

Yeah, it happens to everyone.. After enlightenment, no one can talk about it right way. There may be rare exceptions. But most of the people have been silent about it at least for 1 or 2 years. Because, everything is forgotten.. I forgot to think about anything in the world except things those occured in front of my eyes! It was a really crazy time... 

Shanmugam 

Subscribe to my Youtube channel for videos regarding spiritual path, psychology, meditation, poetry and more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwOJcU0o7xIy1L663hoxzZw?sub_confirmation=1 

5 minutes ago, Shanmugam said:

I just quoted this thread in another thread! Is this a coincidence? :)

Yeah, it happens to everyone.. After enlightenment, no one can talk about it right way. There may be rare exceptions. But most of the people have been silent about it at least for 1 or 2 years. Because, everything is forgotten.. I forgot to think about anything in the world except things those occured in front of my eyes! It was a really crazy time... 

I felt very strange for me too, like I am some kind of different being now. It was so weird going to school with this realisation.

There's Only One Truth!

My book on Enlightenment and Non Duality

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHWCP7H