Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Maynor

Have You Noticed that Judging Others is Often You Judging Yourself

13 posts in this topic

Yesterday when I was tripping on LSD, I noticed that when I'm scanning and judging, especially about people that I would see, and especially when the judgment is negative -- this is very much tied to me noticing something about myself that I am disowning.  Something about myself that I am embarrassed about.  I see something in them that I secretly don't like about me.

Video on point to watch:

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor Yes for sure it is! 

P.S. that girl makes very weird video thumbnails... Even weirder than Leo lol

Edited by egoless

You ever realize that the things that piss you off and annoy you the most is when people treat you in ways that represent the worst habits of your own personality?  This shows how much Ego we have when we get angered in this way.  I learned this recently.

If you are criticizing Donald Trump a lot, think about traits that you are repressing in yourself that are similar to the traits that Donald Trump has.  This is an eye-opener.  

All the people you criticize, all the ideas you criticize -- is you trying to heal yourself.  And the more judgmental you are in this way shows the size of your Ego and Shadow.

What about criticizing low-consciousness people a lot?  What is that saying about you?  Food for thought.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

I've noticed that what I say to people is what I need to say to myself. Most of my haha moments are when I recall what I've said in conversations. But I will be carefull with judgments too. To see what they can reveal to me.

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

We “the i” share these characteristics and compare with one another who is better, worse, bad, good, all an attempt to self sooth, self worship, self gratify lol 

Thought is a movement of measure right? 

Key questions for contemplation:

(1) What is it about me that I'm trying to resolve by focusing on that person's flaws so much?  How is this really me communing with myself, trying to heal myself? 

(2) What are the Shadow traits that other people can see in me that I deny about myself?  How do these differ from the way that I like to think of myself?

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor If anything or anyone 'out there' is triggering some discomfort or disturbance that in turn triggers some judgement about them, then for sure, investigate what it is within the shadow that is being triggered. As an analogy, if a storehouse contains some explosives and one sees some sparks drifting toward it from a far off forest fire burning out of one's control, should one rush out there to fight the fire, or does it make more sense to remove the explosives? Now imagine that this storehouse is the psyche's shadow, containing such emotional 'explosives.' Best remove those, rather than damning the 'sparks' from the forest fires of life.

Edited by snowleopard

17 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Key question for contemplation:

What is it about me that I'm trying to resolve by focusing one that person's flaws so much?  How is this really me communing with myself, trying to heal myself? 

If we recognize our judgments as protective barriers that have been erected within; meaning labels and classifications of what kind of behaviors are 'good' or 'bad', then it may help for us to figure out more specifically what the nature of these labels are and how they came to be. 

My thinking is that when we 'created' these classifications it was out of some kind of early trauma or intense circumstance. Ultimately these were created out of an attempt to feel safe, and this probably means that we experienced some kind of fear. In the moment of fear, a judgement or classification of what is right and wrong (severing part of our expression off) was created, it was probably the result of something intense and unbearable happening within the nervous system like feeling that our life is threatened. I think it's only then that the mind rushes to create a seemingly logical and cerebral counterpart to this new set of abstract definitions. Example of this: child is yelled at for being too loud. A common trope in this kind of psychology is that when we feel 'attacked' by our parents then the fear of survival kicks in. Nervous system rushes to create a new set of behaviors in order to protect the being. In this case the behavior is 'be quiet'. Projection of this set of behaviors then manifests as judging 'loudmouths' as 'idiots' because it helps reinforce the classification that the ego thinks keeps it alive.

Part of the issue about working with the 'meaning' of our judgments is that for as long as we're being 'heady' and analytic about it, we may never address the root which may be more visceral and emotional, which requires its own kind of practice to unravel.  

Edited by Arman