Julian

What To Do When Commuting?

17 posts in this topic

I spend about 90 minutes each day commuting with the bus or train. Since I don't like waisting my time I am searching for ways to be effective (which is hard). When there is not much going on I usually read a book. Otherwise I listen to audio books or programs.

Do you have any further suggestions or ideas? What would you do with all that time in traffic?

I would suggest to continue with audio books as well as reading..

What you can also add is journaling,planning your life.

I usually try to be as present as possible ( though it is difficult sometimes ) while commuting. 

Cheers :)

I remember reading that Bill Gates (?? not sure it is him tho) drives one hour a day just being present within a repetitive familiar action, which give him great ideas... 

:)

An ideal way to put on some CD with affirmations if that speaks to you

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

I think a cool idea would be to use your phones recorder to do a daily audio journal. You can set goals, talk about the previous day, discuss where you're at with yourself. 

I would personally set a certain amount of time aside to be very mindful. Like 10 minutes of solid mindfulness. 

10 minutes ago, Ayla said:

I remember reading that Bill Gates (?? not sure it is him tho) drives one hour a day just being present within a repetitive familiar action, which give him great ideas... 

:)

An ideal way to put on some CD with affirmations if that speaks to you

Something like washing the dishes? Every time I do that I seem to really deep thikning ssessions lol

I have a horrible 2.5 hour bus ride to school every day because the school is on the other side of the county. Sometimes on the bus its interesting to try to experiment with different meditation techniques. Its obviously hard because the bus is making wide turns and hitting bumps. But usually I like to journal. All of my journals are on my notes app so its easy to access them and it is easier to type than write in most situations. I like to update an insight journal that has a list + theory/explanation of all key realizations I had. And then I have a daily journal where I just like to write down what happened through out the day. Those are the only things that I can do on the bus in focus. I get so distracted easily because I like to look out the window or sleep usually.

Most of the time when I commute I listen to audiobooks.

Autobiography's are the best for commuting for me because it get me inspired and that results in better focus through the day.

I'd use that time to listen to music, or plan my day/week, or just contemplate things.

The man who changes the world is the man who changes himself.

Audiobooks for FTW! Gets TONS of them.

Or meditate if you're not driving.

These basics is all you need. Do them consistently for months and your life will automatically transform. You don't need to always be doing some clever new thing.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I agree, I try to meditate on the bus and I read a lot. Now I'm beginning to listen to audiobooks too. 

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

Audio books are awesome, I sometimes take a walk just to listen to one.

If you find a place to sit...

Here is one other thing to add that I have not seen here so far. Brian Tracey's advice to "always think on paper" has proved super useful to me. Often problems are too complex to take on in one go in my internal memory so visualizing them on paper with drawings or in text helps immensely. When I don't have to keep all of it in my head, yet I can still see it and see how the different elements could interact. It took me a while to start thinking on paper because there was some feeling I was not very smart if I needed paper to think... but after that feeling went quiet I now do have a notebook on my desk at home and one at the office + several pencils so whenever I feel stuck I start writing ideas or sketching out plans. I assume this has to do with the 5 to 9 rule (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magical_Number_Seven,_Plus_or_Minus_Two) so when a problem has more components than we can keep in mind it seems unsolvable. It's not true. Use paper. :)

Edited by Yavor Kirov

I totally agree with Yavor, I am also a note taker. And the same thing happened to me, I thought I have to memorize everything and that's not true. So, having a notebook close to me and a pencil is also a way to spend commutes wisely.

I really want to begin to work on mind maps, they say it's an awesome way to help and improve your memory.

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

Oh dear god no.. commuting.. never again will I live or work somewhere that requires anything over 15-20 minutes..

Audio, Audio, Audio 

Yeah audio, audio, audio indeed xD.

You can also try podcasts to mix it up. I sometimes listen to the Tim Ferriss Show. He interviews interesting people about interesting topics. 

@Mkayl Yes, the Tim Ferriss Show is a good one. I like to listen to that.

Audio books are excellent.

But man..

If you just want to relax and feel some social interactions, PODCASTS are made for this.

There are a lot of them. What podcasts are is a format of episodes most often in audio form (sometimes with video too), that you can follow and get notified when released.

One recommendation is The Joe Rogan Experience.

Hosted by comedian Joe Rogan, he puts on a large set of diversity of people he talk to. 
Some serious scientific, some spiritual, some just kinda trashtalking and a lot other different influences that one never imagined. A wide spectrum of people to talk to. :)

What got me hooked is the positivity, the sense of wish for improvement, and the seemingly never ending aspiration for truth and fairness. 

The podcast on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerfulJRE

Endless nuance