Scarecrow

Fear My Life Purpose Won’t Be Around Anymore

6 posts in this topic

I’m a writer. I have written many short stories and writing a novel. And I have a deep fear that books are not going to be around anymore and writing novels will be a dead art very soon. Kinda feel like it’s a exuse to not to keep going. Every time I think about it it stops me in my tracks. Was wondering if anyone had any insights on this 

@Scarecrow What are you smoking? People are buying books and novels in record numbers.

If you wanted to, you could become a billionaire writing books. The cross-over potential for fiction books is the highest its ever been: ebooks, TV shows, movies, console games, mobile games, apps, Legos, comics, internet, podcasts, merchandising, etc, etc.

The only problem is, can you actually write a great book?

No, because you haven't invested the time and energy to master that craft. But you could, if you really cared to. And why don't you really care to? Because you haven't made it your life purpose.

Look at what Stephen King has done. There's no reason why you couldn't do the same. The only question is, do you have that as your vision?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Hahahahaha xD

Okay sorry, let's be serious: You can write stories which convey your visions of how the world could be a better place; or dangers of how it might become a worse place. Or any story about any protagonist that solves any specific problem. As long as the protagonists find themselves in situations which people can relate to and find solutions to problems which can be applied by people, then people will read your stuff (given that it's good). People don't know how to live and they are hungry for stories to show them the way. Make your writing relevant to them and I'm sure you can find ways to monetize it.

It's not on the world to decide that your craft is not needed. It's on you to offer something which is so useful that it will be used.

But if you yourself really think books and novels are kind of outdated, then get creative with new media and new formats.

4 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

I’m a writer. I have written many short stories and writing a novel. And I have a deep fear that books are not going to be around anymore and writing novels will be a dead art very soon. Kinda feel like it’s a exuse to not to keep going. Every time I think about it it stops me in my tracks. Was wondering if anyone had any insights on this 

What are you talking about man... Ebooks and audio books are the future!

I totally agree with Leo here! That's you speaking from your fear now, and that's the worst motivation possible. I suggest you do research about writing. Find out what it takes to become a great writer, what makes a great writer. What are the ways the writers make money for living? Try to connect writing to your other values and, therefore, create something unique and special.

As for books being a dying art - I disagree. Artistic books is one of the most "hardcore" :D ways to develop your imagination. And it can be fun! I find artistic books a pretty high-consciousness product. (it all depends on the way you use it!)

Also, personally I prefer physical books. I feel that when I'm reading from my PC/phone I feel a lot less focused, because, probably, at my current state of consciousness my PC and my phone are associated with lots of other activities and my subconscious mind goes all around, leaving much less focus for capturing the information. But with physical books there's much less activities associated with them. It's like when I hold a book I feel much more "into it".

Additionaly, I feel like every book has it's own "feel", especially after you've read a couple of pages. In the case of digital books your mind has to conceptualize much more to create this feeling.

Edited by Serge