MiracleMan

What's For Breakfast?

16 posts in this topic

I could use some advice on morning meals, preferably something I could prepare the night before or not so time consuming come morning.  I'm open to all suggestions.

I find more and more my mood can be dictated by the food I eat or lack thereof in the morning.

Grace

I usually don't eat breakfast but try fresh fruits(preferably with high water content) or a fruit smoothie, you'll thank me later :) It will really kick-start your body and help eliminate and detox the body from the material from the previous day. If you want something more filling add some nut/soy milk or and maybe some chia, flax or hempseeds for healthy fat content and absorption.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

In the mornings, I've started drinking matcha tea with coconut milk and some MCT oil (Capric/Cprylic tryglicerites) and ceylon cinnamon. Just improvising something as a substitution for Bulletproof coffee, since I'm not sure about good coffee bean and grass-fed butter sources for it. I think it's a nice ritual. It can kill cravings for breakfast so sometimes I don't have any breakfast. If I feel like having some, I may get myself a chunk of rutabaga and smear a bit of coconut oil on it. Or just eat some vegetable with coconut oil. I have a rather big main meal in the afternoon so other meals are usually rather small.

@pluto Don't those fruits make you hungry soon after? Insulin spike and drop and all.

Edited by Huginn

5 hours ago, Huginn said:

@pluto Don't those fruits make you hungry soon after? Insulin spike and drop and all.

Depends on how much you need to feel satisfied and energized. Sometimes its only 500 calories worth sometimes around 1000, i just follow my body most of the time. The next time i eat is usually in 4-6 hours after that depending on and those will be my main means and heavier/denser foods.

My first meal or smoothie is more for detox/elimination purposes like fruit high in vitamins and water content that help stimulate the lymph system usually around 11am - 1pm then around 4-6 till around 8pm i have my main meals and maybe a tea after that and for me personally i have found this or close to this method most optimal for my energy and well-being.

I never noticed anything negative from eating fruit or even too much fruit for me at least. I think most of it is misinformation. These videos may help.

Hope this helps

B R E A T H E

@pluto Okay. I don't have anything against fruit, but in my experience, the insulin drop I experience soon after eating fruit makes me want to devour something probably as little as half an hour after, when I rather want to be satiated for longer. For that reason, I've eaten my fruits in my latest meals of the day when I've already been largely satiated by my main meal. It could be though that I've just not eaten enough fruit in my meals to get to that satiety level. 500 - 1000 calories of fruit seems much higher than I've tried in a single meal. I might give it a go sometime and see how I respond. :)

22 minutes ago, Huginn said:

@pluto Okay. I don't have anything against fruit, but in my experience, the insulin drop I experience soon after eating fruit makes me want to devour something probably as little as half an hour after, when I rather want to be satiated for longer. For that reason, I've eaten my fruits in my latest meals of the day when I've already been largely satiated by my main meal. It could be though that I've just not eaten enough fruit in my meals to get to that satiety level. 500 - 1000 calories of fruit seems much higher than I've tried in a single meal. I might give it a go sometime and see how I respond. :)

Fruits is good anytime :) whatever works for you :)

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

I think fruityness should be determined by activity levels! If you move, get some of those sugars in you. 

My go-to breakfast: 

1.banana+egg+flax+cinnamon pancake (just beat it up with a fork and gently fry) cooked in coconut oil. Delicious and nutritious. Throw in chia, coconut, berries, anything really. 

2.Soaked whole oats mixed with yoghurt and blueberries

@MiracleMan

I recently experimented with intermittent fasting and at the moment I'm trying out to eat all my meals in the first few hours of the day (after a few cups of tea).

But since you asked for something quick, here's one meal I'm having pretty much everyday, which should fit this criterion:

- Oat bran/rye flakes/millet flakes as slow carb base

- flaxseeds/sesame seeds/sunflower seeds/hemp flour as protein and fat source

- cocoa/maca for mood boost

- chopped up dates/honey for some sweetness and quick energy from the sugar

I'm kind of spontaneously switching between the different options or sometimes use all of them.

You can mix everything the night before and in the morning just pour hot water on it, stir, let it sit for 1-2mins and enjoy. 

But I'd try out a large fruit meal first and see how that goes, since it's probably the healthier option.

Also, it very much depends on whether you want to gain or lose weight. Can you say something about what your "goal" is with your breakfast? And what experiences you've had with different foods (or lack thereof), since you mentioned it?

On 11/9/2017 at 10:23 AM, HII said:

@MiracleMan

I recently experimented with intermittent fasting and at the moment I'm trying out to eat all my meals in the first few hours of the day (after a few cups of tea).

But since you asked for something quick, here's one meal I'm having pretty much everyday, which should fit this criterion:

- Oat bran/rye flakes/millet flakes as slow carb base

- flaxseeds/sesame seeds/sunflower seeds/hemp flour as protein and fat source

- cocoa/maca for mood boost

- chopped up dates/honey for some sweetness and quick energy from the sugar

I'm kind of spontaneously switching between the different options or sometimes use all of them.

You can mix everything the night before and in the morning just pour hot water on it, stir, let it sit for 1-2mins and enjoy. 

But I'd try out a large fruit meal first and see how that goes, since it's probably the healthier option.

Also, it very much depends on whether you want to gain or lose weight. Can you say something about what your "goal" is with your breakfast? And what experiences you've had with different foods (or lack thereof), since you mentioned it?

Thanks for the feedback.

So sugar doesn't seem to be my friend.  It's either sugar or things of an acidic nature that gives me really bad stomach pains.  So fruit is fine as long as it's not too sweet and acidic, I can't do pineapple, apples, oranges, etc.

I've gotta be careful with honey too because too much sugar will cause me a lot of pain.  

I do well with carbs, but protein and meat don't seem to do much for me in the morning.  Soy milk and almond milk are fine as long as their unsweetened.  I've got a very sensitive digestive system so it's hard to really find much to work with.  I think a lot of the pain stems from depression and neuroticism, so being at that vibration just makes me more sensitive to pain.

So things I know don't work for me:  highly acidic foods, high sugar foods like orange juice, dairy of any kind with the exception of eggs, high amounts of oil or fat like bacon, biscuits, anything fried.  

Not sure what I'm left with here.  I think I should just keep a journal of crap that hurts me and eventually I'll find what does work.  

Grace

@MiracleMan What about coconut products for fat? I like to use some combination of vegetables and fat in the morning of as high a quality I can get. Just get a vegetable of some sort and smear some coconut oil on it. Low sugar and fat gives high satiety. I would try out some other kind of fat, but can't find anything else here besides olive oil, and that's too liquidy to smear on anything. You could make a vegetable soup like in one of Leo's videos, with olive oil in it, that is, if you can tolerate (proper, high quality) olive oil.

21 hours ago, Huginn said:

@MiracleMan What about coconut products for fat? I like to use some combination of vegetables and fat in the morning of as high a quality I can get. Just get a vegetable of some sort and smear some coconut oil on it. Low sugar and fat gives high satiety. I would try out some other kind of fat, but can't find anything else here besides olive oil, and that's too liquidy to smear on anything. You could make a vegetable soup like in one of Leo's videos, with olive oil in it, that is, if you can tolerate (proper, high quality) olive oil.

I will look into that.  Olive oil doesn't bother me at all and is my go-to oil for pretty much everything.

Grace

porridge:oats cooked in water with a bit of soy milk, some berries or fruit, some nuts and seeds for a topping. I sweeten with honey but that's optional of course.