The White Belt

How To Handle Last Minute Pressure Before Climax Of Big Project?

7 posts in this topic

Hi all.

I'm an actor and have been working on a theatre production for three months.

We are almost there and ready to take it in front of an audience after this week which is final dress and technical rehearsals.

My issue is that I feel very tired (probably due to stress), I am having nightmares, I am overthinking all that can mess up during the show, and I am getting resistance to the last minute work. 

Any advice?

Thanks 

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

@K VIL Thanks man. Hey, I'm not even sure I have the balls ;-). I watched a very good performance the other day and stayed after so I could speak to the actors. I told one actress about my self-doubt and she said 'Hey. We all have it'.  X x x 

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

When I was in animation school, the actors studied in the same building...it was exciting to catch the elevator with them...animators get to draw our actors = to hide behind...I have never met an extroverted animator...lol...anyway, the teachers often needed someone in the class to act something out...I couldn't handle the sadness from the instructors when nobody volunteered...and so, it was always me...having to act things out for the whole class...every time...but, what I found is: it's the same thing as talking to an intimidatingly beautiful person, or asking for emotional support...you just take an imaginary courage pill....and you just do it! I did a performance for my birthday last year...hadn't done anything like that in over a decade...I made a couple of mistakes, but nobody noticed other than me...I'm pretty sure it would be the same with you (worst case)...like so much of personal development, this may be a "fake it til you make it" thing...and even if you need prosthetic balls - they can be fucking massive...lol....

Edited by Epiphany_Inspired

Had an idea... maybe you could try 3x / day - 5 minute visualizations of "nailing it"... if you start to doubt, best to stop.... maybe try to picture with optimism and confidence in short stints so you are able to block out/ keep at bay any doubt... if you can visualize it, you can likely do it :) 

maybe it could help if you imaging the whole process a bit similar like it is explained in this video :)   

some study on retrievalpractice have also shown that if you do retriveval pratice it can help to degreasing anxiety(related to performing in front of people) :)

hope it helps :)  

@The White Belt Future reference - work your way up to a high enough dosage of psychedelic trip that you experience the Alone. Comfort & kid sized fun with the entire assimilating, rehearsing, and performance process go through the roof. The clearity of just how much it doesn't matter is, imo, so liberating and it comes through in the performance, paradoxically.     That and ample practice of course.    In the few days leading up to the show, make sure you're on purpose with looking  at the funnier side of life. I think performance nervousness is over-seriousness, and something to laugh about. You're really a bright dude. You're lit. That you are doing what you want in pursuing an art should feel very good. You're going to have your best show, and you're going to have your worst show. The only question is how many will you rise to the challenge of enjoying? You're gonna kill it. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE