Hardkill

I Don't Know If I Should Consider Becoming An Entrepreneur

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys, so I've been contemplating lately on becoming an entrepreneur for some time lately. We've all heard many stories of successful entrepreneurs and how they were able to achieve their success through perseverance, hard work, and smarts. However, I also am aware that trying to start your own business will inevitably you to many failures before you possibly reach the desire level of success. My parents don't think that I should even consider trying to start my own business because they know that it's too cutthroat and can lead to an unnecessary waste of time, money, and frustration. I am 29 years old and work for my father who's an architect/construction worker and my financial life is completely supported by them. So, I don't even have any capital to start off with. I want to run some sort of martial arts/fitness business of my own, but so many fitness, weightlifting, and sports businesses have already been established for several years all around the world to the point that the fitness/weightlifting/sports industries have become extremely competitive. I've always been very dedicated and disciplined to training and researching an abundance of information on martial arts, fitness, weight training, aerobic/anaerobic conditioning, flexibility, etc. ever since I was a teenager. I really wish I knew what the wisest decision would be for me to take.

@Hardkill Have you read Mastery by George Leonard? One of the reasons people tend to gravitate towards certain products or services over others is because there tends to be a master behind the work. For example, Leo with Actualized.org. The people that watch his videos love it because Leo found a domain of mastery that he can pour his heart and soul into and give advice from. Apple is also a great example. Facebook, Microsoft, Disneyland are all great examples of people being passionate about the work they do. 

Last year I got into real estate sales which inevitable led me to meeting and working around millionaires and other very "successful" people. One thing I noticed is that the agents who really crush it are the ones who are passionate about the work they do. You my friend, found your passion. That alone is enough reason to pursue it whether you're "successful" or not. 

Focus on the plan not the problem. You get what you deserve in you're imagination. 

@Hardkill Sounds like you should do it. It will grow you enormously, even if you end up utterly failing.

Being dependent on your parents at 29 is lame. You're capable of much more than that.

You can't listen to parents who you work for whether you should stop working for them. Talk about conflict of interest. Of course they want to keep you under their thumb. They've grown very comfortable with that arrangement.

Working with your family is problematic. It's incestuous. You're not getting enough diversity of perspective there.

Go actualize your life purpose. Working for your parents is NOT your LP. That's just your comfort zone.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Thank you for responses, guys. I don't know where to begin or exactly would be the best plan of action for me take. Also, I've been expelled from a university (for reasons that I don't want to discuss with anyone on this forum) and have had my gym membership revoked from one gym before for alleged sexual harassment. I've failed miserably with women even after having made countless approaches and invites to women and having tried virtually every possible method method and avenue for seducing women effectively, which has severely damaged my self-esteem overall.  So I don't know if I have the inner strength to handle anymore traumatic failures in my life, even with regard to trying to establish a successful business of my own.

"It will grow you enormously, even if you end up utterly failing." What else besides becoming an independent man will I be GUARANTEED to gain from pursuing entrepreneurship? Can I be ASSURED that I will have a much happier life overall or feel more at peace with myself, at least in the long-run, if I pursue this type of career path?

@Hardkill You may not be guaranteed anything by going down the path of entrepreneurship, but I'll tell you what you will be guaranteed if you stay in your comfort zone. Misery.

"If you deliberately plan on being less than you are capable of being,
then I warn you that you'll be unhappy for the rest of your life."
- Abraham Maslow

8 hours ago, Hardkill said:

"It will grow you enormously, even if you end up utterly failing." What else besides becoming an independent man will I be GUARANTEED to gain from pursuing entrepreneurship? Can I be ASSURED that I will have a much happier life overall or feel more at peace with myself, at least in the long-run, if I pursue this type of career path?

Absolutely not! Being an entrepreneur is a highly stressful job that can create significant emotional turbulence. Even tho our society hails enteepreneurship, it's not a path that fits most people. For a guy with your emotional issues it might be an error to seek this path. There are studies showing that etrepreneurs experience more stress and anxiety than employees. They also have quite high depression- and suiciderates. Just do a quick google search on entrepreneur+mental health. 

The risk of failure is about 75 % for venture-backed startups fail, according to a Harvard Business School study. If you chose this path expect failure as the norm, and success as something that might happen through the right combination on luck and very hard, smart work.

Having no capital and no work experience in the fitnes business, I would not recomend you to jump straight into entrepreneurship any time soo . You should definately seek to get independent from your parents tho.

The best path forward for you might be to seek a job within fitness and gain some more insight into the buiness from the inside, and look for some missing nieche there would be a marked for. 

INSTEAD OF COMMUNICATING WITH PEOPLE AS IF THEY POSSESSED INTELLIGENCE, TRY USING ABSTRACT SPIRITUAL TERMS THAT CONVEY NO USABLE INFORMATION. :)

My first published essay

Damn. Well I don't feel at ease knowing that Erlend's advice here conflicts with everyone else's. Even if I gained complete independence from my parents, I am still not sure if entrepreneur ship could really become a suicide path for me.

@Hardkill

What else are you going to do? Stay in your comfort zone and work the same job until you die? Fuck that. Failure is good! FAILURE IS GOOD! How else do you learn? Does a baby stand up and start running right out of the gate? Fuck no. You have to fail again and again and again, but failure is good because it means you're even closer to succeeding than you were before. Follow your passions and push yourself to the point of failure over and over. One day you'll look back to see you climbed a mountain. 

Well I wish I knew how to gain my independence from my parents. I would almost give anything for that.

Businessman or Entrepreneur? If going down the Entrepreneur route how can someone be enterprising? Over half the companies in Spain have no employees, so probably small business or tradesmen.

If you are passionate about something and know enough to start a business then go for it, you should take a chance. The results might be a little shaky at first but then as you will learn how to handle your business you will get used to it. You can get inspiration from someone and also advice to motivate you.

I want to be an entrepreneur because I believe I have something to offer to this world. My belief is that if you can't change the world significantly then your life as a human is worthless. Also, the fitness and sports industries are so f***ed up that it needs someone like me to step in and help uncover the truths behind all of the lies spread to the vast majority of people all around the world. I am not saying that I am the only who can do this as there are already a number of other honest people who are competent fitness and athletic trainers who have started dispelling these lies and have continued to promote honest training and diet methods. However, I believe that I too should take part in this mission. Yet, I don't know where to began because the fitness and sports industries are so competitive and have become increasingly impossible to succeed in. So, I am very ambivalent over whether or not it would be wise for me to pursue this path.