The White Belt

Does Being Able Looking At Things On A Deeper (or More Subtle) Way Mean That One Is More Conscious?

7 posts in this topic

Does being able looking at things on a deeper (or more subtle) way mean that one is more conscious?

Say you have two different women eating in McDonalds with their kids. 

The first one isn't even thinking about what she's eating at all. Doesn't even enter her mind that she's eating with her

children some ofthe most healthy foods on the planet right now (she probably always eats there).

The second woman has a second thought about what shes doing. So she looks into McDonalds online and finds out 

about the disgusting process of it all, and decides she will not eat there with her kids again, or if so just on very rare occasions.

Because the second woman thinks into things more deeply, and uses her initiative, does it make her 'more conscious'.

Is this initiative anything to do with the quality of ones consciousness?

Where do these thoughts telling us to look deeper come from? Why do some people have it and some people don't?

We can't WILL ourselves to investigate deeper into things, because the thought that encourages us to, is just another thought! 

What does it all mean? 

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

Awareness is a muscle and has to be worked out every day.  Most people have weak awareness muscles.  A few have strong ones.  Awareness is a physical activity, a practice.  You gotta approach awareness like weight-lifting.   If you don't do it, it creates a lot of self-delusion which leads you to feeling awful, making crap choices, and taking bad actions.  Increasing awareness turns this downward spiral into an upward spiral in due time.  There is no other possible outcome in the long run.  But you gotta be patient.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Yes.

The first women is less consciouss.  ("Everybody is eating at McDonals. -> I Will go to eat at McDonalds. ->  Mmm, the Burger was tasty.  I like it. ") ... After a few hours she will feel bad from eating that food, but she Will not notice it because she's lost in thought and because she is not sensitive enough.  OR, she is sensitive enough and feels that something is off,  but due to lack of consciousness Will than rationalize that feeling and get lost in monkey mind.

The second person is more conscious.  She followed her intuition(most probably,  If she didn't know anything about the effects of McDonalds.  If she knew something than she followed her rational thoughts).  As a result that expanded her consciousness and than she stopped eating at McDonalds.

Forget the Word initiative. The right Word is intuition.  The initiative can come both from monkey mind and intuition. Following intuition is what expands consciousness faster.

Thoughts come from nothing. 

All people have the ability to follow their intuition but not everybody is able to because they are not sensitive and receptive enough.

@The White Belt  forget mcdonalds.

give up your preference for taste. 

Eat based on how you feel after you eat.

eat pork, beef & some French fries.....disconnected, tired, lethargic, fatigued, bitter............separated from source and aligning with personal preference. 

eat raw vegetables, berries, etc.....energetic, clarity, connection.......aligning with source and literally feeling the energy, which IS the consciousness. 

Notice that the strongest animals in the world, do not eat meat.

Edited by Nahm

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

On 9.7.2017 at 5:57 PM, The White Belt said:

Does being able looking at things on a deeper (or more subtle) way mean that one is more conscious?

I would be very, very careful with such a categorization because it leads you in a wrong direction.

On a merely rational level you can (as shown above by the other answers) argue that you are more conscious if you can contemplate / think / investigate / meditate deeper. If you can soak in reality deeper. Makes perfect sense.

But it presents this distinction as something that you can actually manipulate and change. Meaning that you can increase your awareness like you can speed up your car. And although you can partake in activities like meditation and contemplation that will free up and sharpen your body/mind, this is never something that you consciously influence.

When you partake in these activities, what you are doing is throwing wood into a fire and hope that it'll do it's thing, but you can never be sure that it burns in the way you want it to. And it might seem that it actually dies off in the process although it just needs time to inflame all the new wood you put in.

That's why somebody who seems very low-consciousness can actually be more conscious - it's just that he needs to purge so much shit that you cannot tell as a beginner or intermediate student. To conclude, keep throwing wood into your fire and just relax. It'll burn you out when the time comes. Until then, have a burger. ;)

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

Good answers. 

To clarify this isn't about me wanting to eat McDonald's. Just an example. I'm all plant based for over a year. I just want to say that people seem to take things in face value where others have a sense to look and investigate. 

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

It could be called consciousness. In my opinion I would call it conscious contemplation or deep contemplation which sometimes takes you to the deeper end of stuff where it can get a little suffocating. I prefer staying in the middle however. Excessive contemplation can sometimes drive people nuts. 

Not too much, not too little, right in the middle, just a scoop of thoughtfulness creates the right recipe. 

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly