Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John Iverson

Is It Okay?

11 posts in this topic

Is any position if you are meditating state you already meditating? Imean for example I don't sit but i'm in my bed is okay? Is that counted as meditating ? I'm aware, conscious and doing nothing just in bed and my eyes is close

If your mind is clear, sure. I just fall asleep or get into a pre-sleep state. The way I recognize that is if my thoughts become nonsensical.

So long as you can stay alert.  As far as I am concerned it's more about alertness than your position.  I've meditated sitting, lying, standing, in quiet places, in crowded and loud places, and it's all fine, because it's about focus.  If you can stay focussed while you're on your bed, fine.

I'd also suggest starting on vipassina or another meditation that is based on focussing on an object, rather than the 'do nothing' which is implied by your description.  Find a point of focus and keep all of your attention on it.  In vipassina this is the breath, but it might be a sound (if it is constant/regular), or a feeling in the body, or so on.  The breath is good because you are guaranteed it keeps going regularly.  You can sit, stand, lie down, whatever, in order to do this.

When you say

4 hours ago, John Iverson said:

I'm aware, conscious and doing nothing just in bed and my eyes is close

I think this means you're trying 'do nothing'?  This is a valid meditation, but if you're not experienced, I'd suggest you spend some time with vipassina first.  The reason is that vipassina helps you to learn to 'see' thoughts.  If you're only ever engaged in 'do nothing', it's possible you'll spend all your time thinking and call it meditation

@John Iverson expand your practice to all positions (lying down, sitting and standing) throughout the day. your target should be 24/7 meditation. every instant is an opportunity to practice.

unborn Truth

13 hours ago, John Iverson said:

Is any position if you are meditating state you already meditating? Imean for example I don't sit but i'm in my bed is okay? Is that counted as meditating ? I'm aware, conscious and doing nothing just in bed and my eyes is close

Yes, there is sitting, lying, standing, and walking meditations.  You can really do anything while meditating...physical posture or activity does not matter.

Eric Putkonen - stopped blogging and now do videos on YouTube - http://bit.ly/AdvaitaChannel

@John Iverson It's extremely important that when you do a formal daily session, your spine is erect.

You can meditate standing, but do NOT lie down unless you broke your back. And even then, try to sit up.

Be very careful with sloppy meditation practices. You will just waste years of your life.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

47 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@John Iverson It's extremely important that when you do a formal daily session, your spine is erect.

You can meditate standing, but do NOT lie down unless you broke your back. And even then, try to sit up.

Be very careful with sloppy meditation practices. You will just waste years of your life.

Noted, hm? One more thing.. is it okay that as i meditating and do the do nothing technique my throat  is automatically swallow itself because of the throat is dry? Because of my breathing? Or i will fight it because you said to your video that if meditating don't move

Edited by John Iverson
Wrong spelling

@John Iverson Yes, that's fine. Not moving refers to no conscious movements. Unconscious body reflexes like sneezing, coughing, etc. are okay.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

@John Iverson Yes, that's fine. Not moving refers to no conscious movements. Unconscious body reflexes like sneezing, coughing, etc. are okay.

Even clearing the throat? ...... Thanyou, I don't want to fall in to trap i want to make sure that i do it right because sometimes it builds tension to me and that's very frustrating 

On 2017-6-26 at 9:09 PM, Leo Gura said:

@Leo Gura

Wow I didn't know that. I've been laying down recently.

@John Iverson Woah I didn't realize you asked the same question as me basically.  That's a trip, we both had the same question today.  That's pretty random.

Edited by Joseph Maynor