Annie

What's The Story Of Your Tattoo?

23 posts in this topic

Why did you decide to get your tattoo(s) and what and where is it? Do you have any regrets? Do you want to have more?

Edited by Annie

@egoeimai What do you have inked? And why did you chose that in particular?

No, I am not planning on getting any.

I guess behind each inking there's a story to tell and those stories are what I'm interested in. What makes you decide to have something particular inked. For example a friend of mine lost her baby daughter so in order to always "have her with her" she got a tattoo of the footprint and name. Actually, now that I think about it, many people I know have tattoos with names of dead loved ones or of those they would be afraid of losing, be it pets or people.

@Annie I have lots of them, no regrets, of course I will - eventually I will be covered (except face, neck and hands although I have nothing against those on others)...

It's funny, my egoic reaction to your questions = both delight and dislike...the "story" of tattoos was popularized with TV....and I'm kind of coming from the mindset that a "story" need not exist, or be shared....at the same time, when I think of personal development things like "letting go"...".empowering", etc....tattoos can be another tool in the tool box....at the same time...they could likely make things worse sometimes too....like someone that gets a deceased family members portrait to "get over the loss" only to find that it actually serves as a daily reminder of their pain or depression....that said, there is also something about the ritual: the physical pain, the adrenaline and hormones, the sacred skin carving/ bleeding that has the potential for great transformation both internally and externally, if you are in the right head&heart-space for that :) 

sleeved on both arms quality art. the story is simple unconscious behavior + Fireball = a bunch of tattoos. No regrets, even after coming back home to the self it was all a play in consciousness. 

I have wanted to get tattoos since I was 15 years old. Got my first one at 21, second at 24 and newest tattoos this year, when I was 28/29. I don't have any regrets.

First two tattoos are on my left shoulder blade. There's a heart and a bird above it and a fish below it, to symbolize duality and parallel worlds. The ones I got this year are on the inside of my lower arms. They are two jackalopes (a "good" one and a "bad" one) to remind me about the balance of light and dark inside me.

I will definitely get more. I love tattoos! :)

I have a raven on my right shoulder blade, just the line art from when I visited some friends from a forum back in 2009.  I went with a friend to St. Louis to visit like 40 of them and the host worked at a tattoo parlour and so like 20 of us all have tattoos of this raven.  My friend has one on her neck.

The other shoulder blade was done by a scratcher, a friends ex, and it's line art of a deer running but it looks retarded and drooling and zombified and like it was done in sharpie.  That one needs to be redone for sure... lol.  But it is also kind of my spirit animal.  Anniemal.

7 minutes ago, Annetta said:

it's line art of a deer running but it looks retarded and drooling and zombified and like it was done in sharpie. 

? I'd love to see a picture! ?

I think many people are scared to get tattoos, because "what if it doesn't come out the way I want it". My tattoos have never come out the way I wanted them, but that's okay, because there's a reason and a lesson to that. It's a process, the tattoo artist has a lot of influence and when you change and grow as a person, your opinion and experience of your tattoo changes as well. It's possible to start hating a perfectly beautiful tattoo, and vice versa. It's like life, always flawed.

Here's a picture of my lovely jackalopes. I'm so proud of them! The tattoo artist is Tuomas Valtanen, darksideofzen on Instagram. ❤

IMG_20170411_161638_324.jpg

Edited by Pallero
mistake with the name

@Epiphany_Inspired  interesting that you mention "ritual", a couple of other people have told me something similar as well. Some have called it addictive as well. I don't know, I don't have any.

I think tattoos can be beautiful works of art, however they can also look quite terrible but, then again, it depends what you like.

I love tattoos! I was so judgmental before getting mine, I hurts so much that now I admire those who have them, especially when there is a deep meaning behind it :) 

the first one is a maori, I got it to have my body back after getting out of an abusive relationship and the second one is a triskle, a Celtic symbol that means movement, like three legs running, to remind me to keep moving the energy for things to happen, take more risks..

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_7381.JPG

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." Shakespeare

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCqtX3EPGsnmWjK76m5Vpbw

@MsNobody  I like it that you chose your tattoos for their meaning. If I would have ever gotten one I would have liked it to have a special meaning as well but since I can't have one (massive skin problems and I'm afraid what the ink might do to me) I chose meaningful names for my children ;)

once i had a deep realization of the Truth behind the prajna paramita hrdaya sutra (heart sutra) so i got a tatoo with its main verses:

form is no other than emptiness
emptiness is no other than form

in a circle

my_photo-1.jpg

Edited by ajasatya

unborn Truth

@ajasatya love that!

My first tattoo at age 17 was Oṃ maṇi padme hūṃ in Sanskrit, I literally picked it out of a book of sacred symbols from around the world at the library because I thought it was "cool"...at least I didn't pick something really silly off the tattoo shop wall (a unicorn riding a dolphin or something...lol).....anyway,  a decade later, I lived with an incredible Tibetan painter who used that as his personal mantra...

A rose on my ankle when I was 24. Never wanted a tattoo, but hubby wanted one bad, but said he wouldn't get one without me. So, I was like what the heck! Hurt like a bitch...lol

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Annetta You know, it looks pretty cool. You could color it and tattoo other stuff around it in the same style and it would totally look like some famous (Mexican? Peruvian?) artist did it. ??