Yourreputationisoutthere.c

Bodybuilding

42 posts in this topic

Any tips for putting on some size? I'm hesitant to ask the guys at the gym because I do not want advice from potential steriod users (could be harmful advice and I'll be interrupting their workout).

For me, beer and fries worked wonders at some point :P

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

6 hours ago, Yourreputationisoutthere.c said:

Any tips for putting on some size? I'm hesitant to ask the guys at the gym because I do not want advice from potential steriod users (could be harmful advice and I'll be interrupting their workout).

Eat good protein like a shake or supplement once a day. Get plenty of vitamins (usually in that supplement mix) and water. Strength train, resistance or body weight work is fine to get started. Do cardio to keep extra intake from stacking too much weight and to keep generally healthy, of course, all depending on how much you exercise and where you're starting from.  And again, drink more water and exercise more! And eat!  Build the habits!  Meat and veggies or just healthy food till you're full!  Fruits, grains, peppers,... Just minimize preservatives and cheap sweeteners like the oh so economic HFCS.

The exercise is key.  Sweating is a good thing. Otherwise your pours may as well be clogged!  And some sort of meditation will really help you focus on that mass gain and reflecting on what's working and what isn't before you follow a dead end path too long.

Edited by Elemental
Wording

Not sure where on Earth you're living dude!Diet,workout routine, caloric intake/macro/micro nutrients, progress tracking. Lift heavy generally 8-12 reps when you're starting out. It does vary depending on your body type e.g. endomorph, ecto etc. You'd have to do some experimenting and research when starting out or hire a qualified personal trainer to help fast track your gains with you.

P.S. the steroid users deterring you made me laugh :D

Edited by louvar

29 minutes ago, Ayla said:

For me, beer and fries worked wonders at some point :P

No more than 3-4 days per week otherwise it'll make you into beer and fries! Haha

Even then you'll need serious dedication to your exercise routine. That diet is viscious!

Ehhhh, that was 20 years ago.... :)

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

4 hours ago, louvar said:

Not sure where on Earth you're living dude!Diet,workout routine, caloric intake/macro/micro nutrients, progress tracking. Lift heavy generally 8-12 reps when you're starting out. It does vary depending on your body type e.g. endomorph, ecto etc. You'd have to do some experimenting and research when starting out or hire a qualified personal trainer to help fast track your gains with you.

P.S. the steroid users deterring you made me laugh :D

It all depends on their existing core. Some folks will just hurt themselves with that. Try 100 pull ups or chin ups per day as a goal over the next year. Start with one if that's all you can do. Once you've got a strong core and connective tissues then explore weight training. Developing the core and connective will heighten your proprioception and fine muscle control which heightens all your senses for more effective and safer weight work later.

Also do lots of body weight leg exercises (100 body squats per day goal) one and two leg variations work great and abdomen work. Calf raises can be great if done regularly. Walking and jogging and machines or bench extensions work great for quad extensions and hamstring curls.  Hamstrings are so important together with the flank muscles for stability.  Add in your focus areas for size growth as extra work or focused work.   Like curls for your biceps or bench press for front of torso.

But remember, body weight stuff and resistance band work as well as walking and jogging can be done almost anywhere on diverse time frames.

And for the protein amount mentioned by someone else at .65-.75g/lb body weight seems a bit high!  I guess that is including all your meals throughout the day.   You'll hurt your organs if you intake too much protein without balancing it with the other members of the "pyramid".  Do you're research.

Edited by Elemental
Wording

Comment on Diet: Where possible, it is always best to meet your caloric and macro-nutrient needs with real food.  Controlled studies have shown that around .65 to .75 grams of protien per pound of body weight is ideal for athletes and that higher amounts ( .9 grams per pound and above) did not correlate with increased lean muscle mass.

A calorie is not a calorie.  "Junk" food tends to promote inflammation and your body has to work harder to process the toxins which will impair your ability to recover.  Leo has a great video on how to make an extremely healthy and simple meal here:

Comment on Training: In my opinion, the foundation of any good bodybuilding or strength training program should include a strong focus on the primary compound lifts: Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press and a rowing movement.  I am also a big fan of the Clean and Jerk.  There are lots of great, free, resources that demonstrate how to properly perform each lift.  Spend time evaluating your form!  You aren't making any gains when you're injured or not training because you're in pain!  My training plan is not set in stone.  I generally lift about 3 days a week, do a long run once a week (~5 miles) and then usually do some form of yoga once a week (usually hatha, but honestly I don't know very much about yoga).  I have really enjoyed 5x5 and have also done more traditional bodybuilding programs that focus on hypertrophy and higher rep ranges.

Ultimately, the #1 factor in the progress you make is going to be how effectively you're able to stick with it, regardless of what the program is.  Do the research, try out different training programs/philosophies and find out what works for you.

"It's better to light a candle than curse the darkness"

Presence.  Acceptance.  Purpose.

Depends on your body type. For some guys putting on size is really hard (like me for example) because we're naturally lean. You have to accept that to some degree. Don't expect to compare with the bulky body-frame guys.

For me to bulk up, I need to eat HUGE quantities of food. To the point where I'm so full it makes me feel sick.

Whey protein shakes helps a lot, but they are very unhealthy in my opinion. Lots of artificial chemicals and many people (like myself) are allergic to whey protein without realizing it. I fucked up my health by chugging down 3 whey protein shakes per day for several years. It made me bulkier, but I had really bad acne and other issues. So be careful with that. Try to stick with natural whole foods in large quantities.

Most guys bulk up and gain fat at the same time. Then they cut the fat with cardio months later.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

ugh yeah I'm the same as Leo, have this super fast metabolism and need to eat like 4,000+ calories to gain any weight. I've been trying on and off but I really need to stay consistent. As for why- I'm still slightly underweight and want to gain a bit of muscle mass.

I would very seriously ponder the question why you would want to be bulkier. What do you think it offers that you don't have now? Be very honest.

You can have any goals you want and many things can support your overall growth. However you need to become aware of why you want these things. You can still do it but be aware of the real reasons.

I think you need to ask yourself one question...why do you want to put on more mass? For confidence? That's a bad reason. Just find out how to be more confident. For masculinity? That's also a bad reason. Just find out how to be more masculine. Is it for the ability to knock people out? Okay, that's a way cooler reason, but it's not good for anybody. Just don't beat people up. If you're already healthy, getting "big" gets you nowhere. Nonetheless, if you still think you need to get big...I have the perfect diet for you:

PSEB.png

Best gains at the gym come from heavy-weight compound exercises which include:

• Squats
  • Deadlifts
  • Benchpress
  • Rows
  • Overhead Shoulder Lifts

Start with very low weights (even an empty 45 pound bar) and then every week add a little bit more and a little bit more.

I got a lot of value out of the 5x5 Strong Lifts routine. You can find it online. It's quite popular.

I don't do this nowadays though because my passion for weightlifting has passed.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

My reasons for putting on size are vain (The Avengers didn't help with my body image confidence).

I think it's interesting some ask why I want to put on size, yet I see those people put effort into their hair, makeup, pets, music, etc. I feel justified reversing the question. 

Thank you all for the advice. I pretty much implemented the suggestions above with ok results but I was looking for something different from the regurgitated advice (beer and fries, although different, somehow didn't make the cut).

P.S. I like the meditation advice. I'll let you all know once I find out the missing puzzle piece.

If you want mass you must train like a bodybuilder. One very important aspect its "Time under tension" - Basically you do the same amount of reps but you do it slow. If you do 20 reps in 1 min try to do 20 in 2 minutes. It hurts, but no pain no gain :D

Then you must minimize the time between sets. take only 30 sec break , or....

You cand find more info free on youtube :D There are a lot good trainers out there

Make sure you're hitting your daily intake caloric needs and protein. Also, you need to be in a good body building program. Track your progress so you know what works and what doesn't.

I would recommend Jason Blaha's Ice Cream Fitness program. I'm thinking of personally trying it myself.

"Water takes shape of whatever container holds it." --

2 hours ago, Yourreputationisoutthere.c said:

My reasons for putting on size are vain (The Avengers didn't help with my body image confidence).

I think it's interesting some ask why I want to put on size, yet I see those people put effort into their hair, makeup, pets, music, etc. I feel justified reversing the question. 

I would ask exactly the same question of those people as well. You can have pets, you can do your make up, you can go to gym - just be aware of WHY you want to do it - this leads to deeper understanding and fuller life-experience. If you wish to have something like better self-esteem, security, admiration, attraction, great relationship or anything else, it might seem logical for the ego mind to approach all the things in the outside world that it thinks will help and it is logical to try that. You can do all these things but be aware that everything you cling to and think will bring you happiness, will eventually bring you suffering as well. It does not mean you should not do these things, but it means that you should not cling to them. You can go to gym and get bulk but do not expect it to end your suffering or clear your problems. :) 

@Rares
 The TUT (Time Under Tension) role and importance as a factor for inducing muscular hypertrophy is... really misunderstood and misused.
Dr. Layne Norton explained in depth the issue about it in this video: 

You don't have to watch it, but thing to know about it is most people are actually increasing their time spent in the gym and decreasing efficacy of their workouts with no benefit or even limiting their potential growth.

@Yourreputationisoutthere.c

Training:

I would recommend any 5x5 program, begginer athletes tend to do really well on them:
 5x5 Stronglifts or more fresh (not necessarily better) Jason Blaha's 5x5 Novice Program or my favourite Mark Rippetoe's Texas Method, but the first two are better to start IMO. Keep it simple, adding weight to your lifts each week will increase the total workload and the training volume which is a primary factor to increasing muscle hypertrophy a.k.a muscle growth. 

Focus on resistance training and cut out cardio if You don't find yourself gaining weight.

Food:

If You struggle to gain weight and happen to be called a hardgainer or have a body type of an ectomorph (the whole somatotype idea is a semi myth at best, invented & introduced by a psychologist William Herbert Sheldon almost 80 years ago).
What I find from working with people is they just have a small apetite and tend to think they eat a lot. When we actually start to measure their macronutrient intake and calorie input, it turns out they're eating below or at their maintenance - they were just undereaters, overestimating their food intake.

Here are the best tips that come to my mind right now and in fact, one of them has been given by @Leo Gura in a specific form, that I'm going to play with:

10 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Whey protein shakes helps a lot, [...]

Which can be transformed into more universal rule: "Drinking your calories helps a lot"
It doesn't have to be whey protein, consuming anything in liquid helps You gain weight for 2 reasons:
1) It's easier to drink a cup of mixed oatmeal and veggies, whatever You like, than to eat the same amount on plate.
2) It doesn't make as You satiated which leads to You being able to eat more without getting feeling sick

Eat more calorically dense food like for example: peanut butter if You're allergic to dairy or find the type of food that You like and try to overeat on it.
(It wasn't a question about how to keep your blood markes or fasting glucose good, You want to gain weight - consume more calories. As long as 80% of your diet makes up to deliver fiber and necessary micronutrients, the other 20% has marginal significance).

If You're really into that (most people're not and find it boring unlike me), You could measure Your food intake by counting macronutrients or/and calories in MyFitnessPal for example. I'm just spitting ideas at You.

When it comes to meal frequency, You'll have to experiment as fewer meals (Intermittent Fasting) tend to change Your leptin (goes up) : ghrelin (goes down) hormones ratio which leads to decrease of apetite over the course of the time, so I would start with 3 - 4 meals, since saying to eat when You're hungry wouldn't do much because that's probably the same thing You've been doing and struggling with gaining weight - It wouldn't apply.
Generally try to eat often.

Inner game:

When I first started lifting, my main reason for taking actions in direction of building muscle & getting fit was shallow, long story-short - I just wanted to look good for girls. If that's remained as the primary motivating factor I would've probably given up after a month.
But the funny thing is that I really started to enjoy the grind, looking in the mirror, loading more weight to the bar, being able to help in mundane stuff like carrying groceries, moving big ass sofas without needing any help and carrying your drunk, half-conscious friend out of the club to make sure he won't get robbed or beaten.
Working out to look great may be shallow, but so is wearing makeup, taking selfies, and grooming of any sort. Pick your shallow.
Looking good naked is cool, but nothing compared to being stronger than You were.
For me, a young, growing man, strength is a value associated with the personal growth, exploiting your potential in one more area.
By being stronger, You can bring more to the table, be more useful.
Plus after almost every session I'm in state of mind close to the one obtained through meditation - like still water after storm.

Okay, so if You don't want my Woo woo stuff , I will give You very specific reasons and benefits associated with lifting weights, which are based on scientific studies (I will probably regret that, since everybody would require a link to every single study. You know how many there are? ^.^):

1. It reduces cancer risk considerably and increases the chances of survivng the cancer. Factors below also have impact on cancer risk reduction.

2. Moderate amounts of regular resistance training and aerobic activity have been shown to reduce risk of diabetes to a very high degree.
    e.g. http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1307571

3. Is associated with better bone mineral density and/or bone width, which amongst others means it protects You against osteoporosis or osteopenia and suggests lower risk of physical injury
    e.g. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9809388

4. Having more muscles allows You to eat more, unlike adipose tissue, lean tissue burns energy - You are burning more calories (increasing TDEE - Total Daily Energetic Expenditure), just by having more muscle mass instead of fat.

5. It increases insulin sensitivity, which is also associated with better nutrient partitioning and how well your body utilizes food in some cases, helps also people with impaired glucose tolerance
    e.g. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20351587

6.  It reduces resting blood pressure, decreases low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and triglycerides, which is good for longevity and avoiding cardiovascular diseases
    e.g. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1756170/

If You really want to dig deep, there is so much information, You'll be confused and overthink stuff to a degree it'll become procrastination.
Start doing, pick a program, eat what seems to be healthy and slowly gather information or You'll kill yourself with thought processes and questions like:

"Does whey protein has to be cold, since enzymes are denaturalized in over 40 degrees?",
"Is my current aminoacid ingestion timing optimal for getting maximum muscle-protein-synthesis?" or
"I don't know if doing a ketogenic diet will help me preserve muscle mass more than high carb".

Don't worry. Don't get obsessive. It's okay to be wrong and the details will not affect the big picture.
Do the best that You can with all that You have and don't worry about the rest.

Science is science, some guy's story on the forum is just a story.

You have to find Your own reasons and deeper value derived from engaging in those actions. 

What's Your WHY?
The bigger the reason, the better.

Edited by Thomas