Afonso

How The Hell Do I Do Shadow Work?

7 posts in this topic

What's the most efficient process for dealing with the Shadow?

I hear many people talking about it, and in many books, yet I wonder

1) How do you actually know what's in your shadow

2) How do you own what's in there

When Leo did his contemplation video, I actually started contemplating my own Shadow. It was, and still is, very helpful.

The general rule of thumb I have is: if I don't like it, it's in my Shadow. 

And, really, just becoming aware of what's in my Shadow was enough. I didn't even have to try to start liking these things. 

I dont know if this is shadow work. To me it is. So there are certain things your inner self wants but you are not able to fulfill it. So i contemplate on those things (soon after it) and see why that particular need or thought came and look into it. What would happen if i didnt resisted and did what inner self wanted and how would it have shaped incidents. Then i fully acknowledge and accept the thought or need and smile.

Edited by Harikrishnan

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

You meditate like a mother fucker,  you notice what kind of thoughts make you feel incomfortable (or worse), then you face them.

@Afonso How erasing limiting beliefs that makes you suffer could be pointless ?
It's like saying that curing your cancer is pointless because another one could come right after.

You'll always be annoyed yes, but it doesn't really matter cause you will be able in a split second to remember there is no point to be annoyed.

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

10 minutes ago, Shin said:

You meditate like a mother fucker,  you notice what kind of thoughts make you feel incomfortable (or worse), then you face them.

Your negative thoughts never stop do they? So isn't that pointless?

34 minutes ago, Afonso said:

Your negative thoughts never stop do they? So isn't that pointless?

negative thoughts certainly do stop, although that is not something that you will achieve in this lifetime or maybe you will, everything's possible. 

in any case they can be greatly diminished to the point where the role they fulfill in your life is entirely different, where you might as well considered you stopped them because now negative thoughts mean something entirely different. 
whereas before negative thoughts used to unconsciously be my ''way of life'' and rule my mind, now they are at the bottom of the hierarchy, and their grasp and presence over me is minimal, my negative thoughts are now active spiritual distortions that I am very aware of, that I do not identify with and that I constantly work on to advance spiritually.

the effect of this change is monumental

Stellars interact with Terrans from ÓB (Earth’s Low Orbit).!

I recall a 3-2-1 Shadow Process from Ken Wilber's book on Integral Life Practice.

It goes like this.

Step 1 : Think of something that triggers you emotionally negatively or something you see as an ideal that makes you too controlling or overpassionate about something. It could be a literal person in your life or it could be a part of yourself. It could be a person who keeps showing up in your dreams or someone you anxiously imagine like strangers laughing at you.

Step 2 : Use third person words to describe your shadow. He, she, it and they. Make it as long as you need to.

Ex. They are controlling. They are angry. Etc.

Step 3 : Use second person words to describe your shadow. Ask it questions as if you are directly speaking to them and imagine what it would say. Make it as long as you need to. Who are you? What are you? Where do you come from? What do you want me to do? What is your gift to me? Or any other question you might want to.

Ex. "Who are you?" "I'm the part of you that wants you to stand up for yourself." Etc.

Step 4 : Use first person words to describe your view on this Shadow. Not only as a separate person, but as someone that's a part of you. Make it as long as you need to.

Ex. "I'm angry! I want to control! I want to stop the bullshit people work on me all this time!" Etc.

It could also be a regular everyday practice as well if you want to work on this in the long term.

Edited by WaterfallMachine

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” 
― Socrates