Mondsee

Dealing With Family Issues

6 posts in this topic

What do you think?

When there are family issues that don't involve you directly, but involve relatives you care about, should one take part and try to help, or let them resolve the conflict in whatever way they choose?

I usually think it is best to leave them alone, but on the other hand, it sometimes feels like I'm being a coward who's just trying to avoid problems in my life.

Sometimes I also believe that I've learned things here about how psychology works, they aren't aware of and could be very helpful, but at the same time, I feel like only telling them about that won't change anything...

"Es gibt die Wahrheit, mein Lieber! Aber die ,Lehre', die du begehrst [...], die gibt es nicht. Du sollst dich auch gar nicht nach einer vollkommenen Lehre sehnen, Freund, sondern nach Vervollkommnung deiner selbst."

- Herman Hesse, Das Glasperlenspiel

I always get in the way,and try to support those that I care for the most,even in my family. But my opinion (and third's person opinion in each case) doesnt really matter,because Im not involved even when Im involving. I mean they may listen your opinion and respect it but in the end they will make whats best for them. So you better step back from the situation.

If they think you are a coward,you cant change their opinions and it is about their problems,not yours. Your job is to stop caring about what they might have said behind yr back.

Speak only when asked to speak, and then speak only the truth.

If you don't know the truth then either say nothing, or say that you don't know the truth.

Sometimes you may know the truth and that it may hurt their ego, and possibly lose friendship. But I rather lose friendship over the truth than to gain friendship over a deception. Some call this tough-love.

Well the final choice is always with you. But if you have enough resources and knowledge at your disposal, then it would be nice for you to clear up things and share your suggestions and advice with the. After all family means staying together, sharing and caring, loving and understanding each other.

I'm sure your intervention would be very helpful for them, although no one can guarantee whether that would change anything at all.

But isn't it always better to do something within your reach, then not do it and regret  "not having done "  later.

Don't worry about the outcome, focus on the effort. Let the outcome take care of itself.

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

My mom goes above and beyond to cause emotional problems for other people.

I was about to start a thread about this, but thought I'd reply here instead considering the subject line.

Edited by CuteYTDawg
:D

If you have enough presence to make them both listen to what you said, and if even just one of them thinks you're wise, yes you could/should help.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them