TimStr

Lucid Dreaming

64 posts in this topic

Well, for me, just because science or even evidence says so, doesn't make it truth. I could go on forever with things someone later proved (all sorts of research) false. 

I simply stated my own thought on the matter, and it is what I experience in my personal reality. 

I do absolutely believe thoughts have power. I said dreams, in and of themselves,  do not. After you have a dream, it stirs up thoughts in your awake mind that you must change. You don't lucidily make yourself have your perfect life in your dream and wake up to discover that old life was actually dream... Or maybe you do. I'll have to try it. 

;) 

Edited by Anicko
Typos. Probably are more, but that is good enough.

I have had a lucid dream that ended with being sucked up in a tornado. Did I choose that, or did I lose lucidity? I don't know. I never *can* know. I don't care. 

The tornado dream did correlate to my real life. I did have emotions tied to the 'meaning' of my dream. That gave me things to work on. 

I did not, however, wake up knowing how it actually really feels to be sucked up in a tornado. I bet it hurts a lot more. 

I can dream about being enlightened, but do I actually wake up knowing what it is? 

Lol, I don't plan to get sucked up by a tornado to find out. 

Edited by Anicko

11 minutes ago, Anicko said:

I do absolutely believe thoughts have power. I said dreams, in and of themselves,  do not. After you have a dream, it stirs up thoughts in your awake mind that you must change. You don't lucidily make yourself have your perfect life in your dream and wake up to discover that old life was actually dream

Here is the thing though: all a dreams is, is just a collection of thoughts. You could call it an illusion, but the same way you could call your perception of reality in waking life an illusion. It's just that when you sleep, you get little sensory input so your brain reconstructs reality based on your memories, feelings and perceptions. 

That being said, you can't get to know what it feels like to be in a tornado because you haven't been in one. But to think thoughts in dreams don't affect you is the same as saying thoughts in waking life don't affect you. Here is what I'm getting at: the process by which the brain learns new information is not fully understood, but we know that when you do an activity over and over again, the brain behaves in the same certain way - when you play the guitar, the connections that are being used for it are being strengthened(as in more neurotrasmitters are being produced between brain cells). It's the basic principal of the body - what you use is what gets stronger. When you think about playing the guitar though, the brain reacts in almost exactly the same way. You imagine it, you use the same brain connections, you get better. Learning is actually purely psychological phenomenon. Your fingers don't learn, it's only how you rearrange your brain matrix. You can do it physically, unconsciously, or force it with thoughts. There are numerous experiments showing this. The most crazy one is a study with body building. People that simply think about working out during the day, imagine their muscles growing and their power increasing, build muscle mass faster than those who don't, with the same exercise time and routine. You can question the objectivity of those studies sure, but I personally have experienced this with other things as well.

When you dream, when you think, you rearrange your brain so that it is more efficient at thinking that way. That's learning.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure one thing is about the other. I may just be confused, but your pieces aren't fitting together for me. 

I'm inclined to disagree that dreams are "just a collection of thoughts" in the same way I think you mean. I don't thinks dreams themselves can manifest. If a change happens in your life after a dream, it's not - because of- the dream, it's because of the thoughts that the dream brought to your awake mind. And this is where you have to accept a state of true not knowing, because what about all the dreams one has that they don't remember? One would simply be unaware that change was caused, indeed, by the physical manifestation of a dream, you just forgot! 

Cool theory, and all, but I don't believe it. :) 

Edited by Anicko

Not all learning happens consciously. In fact the vast majority of things you know, you didn't choose to learn. Forgetting a dream is the same as forgetting a movie you watched but wasn't interested in. Fair enough if you don't want to believe it, but there are lots of cool and practical ideas in this area, I would suggest reading further, hopefully texts from someone more knowledgeable than me~!

i've been lucid dreaming recently. in the last month i've woken up in 3 dreams..

I noticed my lucid dreaming was happening the same time i was becoming more conscious in my waking state.. i think maybe something about practising awareness during the day allowed me to wake up in the dreams. 

anyway after waking up and consciously deciding to go flying  in my dreams something occured to me... what if waking up in real life is a bit like waking up in a dream.. what if unconsciousness in waking life is just like the typical non-lucid dreams and we could go flying in real life now (metaphorically speaking). what if we can play with real life like we do with dreams when we have enough conscious awareness to so 

The-Mind-Alan-Watts.jpg

I am a big fan of dreams and astral projection. To experience lucid dreams, you can start by including these nutritious to your diet; 

Mugwort  
5-HTP
Huperzine-A
Choline
Alpha GPC

I have tried the supplement called Dream Leaf. They have all the nutritious above in a pill and works great.

Remember that astral projection and lucid dreaming are different types of things you can do. It can be scary at first. Try to find a mirror in the astral state because when you see yourself in a mirror, you can have a conversation with your subconscious mind and ask questions. First time I did that I was looking at myself in a mirror and I was happy and laughing. It reveals deep stuff most of the time and is a great tool for self-development.

I use lucid dreaming for flying, singing and to play the piano. I try to put down the melodies in a DAW as soon as I wake up. I heard that James Cameron is a lucid dreamer, he got inspiration from it to create Avatar.

It is good to have a detoxified body to experience vivid dreams.

Try this guided meditation. 

Edited by Spiritjunkie

I've always been interested in this topic, since it started happening to me randomly when I was a teenager. I would sometimes realise I was dreaming and attempt to control the dream - usually by trying to fly. When I started to research things a little bit, I got a bit scared as came across some information that seemed to link lucid dreaming to sleep paralysis - which correlated with some of my own experience.

I stopped looking into trying to actively induce lucid dreams then, as it wasn't worth some of the horrors that I experienced with sleep paralysis. Even now there seems to be a link between the two for me. If I don't get a lot of sleep for a few days and then try to go to sleep when I am ridiculously exhausted, I often find I have very vivid dreams that turn into nightmares and what feels like sleep paralysis. As amazing as lucid dreaming can be, I am slightly fearful that it feels perhaps a bit unnatural and that my body gets confused then between when I'm supposed to be asleep and supposed to be awake; conscious in the dream, then feeling like I can't move when I think I'm awake!

Maybe I need to research the topic further and see if I can gain some much better control. I'd love to be able to have a dialogue with my subconscious.

I know I'm 15 and have much to learn, but maturity can be developed at an early age. I started doing self development when I was 12, and doing meditation for 20 minutes everyday. I do my studies, my developed routines, my techniques, but what I'm always excited for is developing myself. I do not know where my feelings come from or where my thoughts come from or why to I do personal development and enlightenment work at such an early age, maybe because it feels fulfilling :). Friends, and family do not really know what personal development is, and how you could get massive rewards from it, such as mastering emotions. How did I get into personal development?

From telekinesis/astral projection/subliminal meditation :)

This is just my technique, but I found this really effective for lucid dreaming. By the way, it becomes awesome if you work on your chakras, such as your third eye. Make sure you stay positive!

-Do reality checks whenever something of the slightest weirdness happens. Eventually, after a few days or a week, you may get a lucid state for a few moments. Keep doing reality checks such as trying to poke your finger through your hand or asking yourself am I in a dream. Remember, do this when something weird happens. Eventually, you will program your mind to perform this in your dream, and you will lucid dream!

The more times you are lucid, the longer your lucid dreams will be. Its just like muscle work.

Also, study tons about lucid dreams and set your thoughts and intention on it throughout the day if you want to speed up the process. When you are about to go to bed, perform affirmations like 'I will lucid dream tonight' over and over again for 100 times and you will increase your chances of getting a lucid dream.

Don't worry, it took around 2 months for me to lucid dream for more than 20 minutes around. I don't know if 20 minutes= whatever in the physical dimension. Happy lucidity!

Lucid dreaming is fun, but I recommend enlightenment and establishing the foundation of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs first, because it is much more worth it. Lucid dreaming is just used as a tool for doing homework/brainstorming or more interestingly, flying from the Earth to Mars!

Cya Higher Consciousness People Who Are Working To Develop Yourselves (Your-self).

No such thing as yourself though.

Oh shit monkey chatter.

Yep being controlled by the voice. Fking mind uses me instead of me using the (HEAR). Labelling :)

Dear Actualizers,

Recently I came across a video from TED about lucid dreaming, for people whom do not know what lucid dreaming is; it's a form of dreaming in which the conscious mind takes control over the contents of the dream (you realize you are in a dream). The TED presentation got me interested and I thought; who wouldn't want a virtual reality in which they could create, test, and practice anything they want?

The 2 reasons why I started this topic is; first of all, because I think lucid dreaming can become an important assets in self-development, whilst you can practice certain theories, skills and ideas while not actually "using time" from your "productive/awake state". Second of all, I'm not sure though, if it's worth it to study and actualize on this topic because I have never spoken to a person who developed this particular "skill".

So I would really like to know if anyone has any experience with lucid dreaming, and if so, if they have any advise, tips, tricks or books on this topic? And also whether or not lucid dreaming actually can be used for self-development?

One love,

Max

@Why? Great Post ! You seem to be very mature for a 15-year old as far as i can tell :D

@Tu Pimp A Caterpillar 

Book: 

-"Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming" by Stephen Laberge, its standart for lucid dreaming starters i think 

And also whether or not lucid dreaming actually can be used for self-development?

There is no doubt about that, it can be used for entertainment as well as self development

So I would really like to know if anyone has any experience with lucid dreaming, and if so, if they have any advise, tips, tricks 

I am sure you already read about the technics, so i wont mention them here, but here is some important things i can come up with now: 

-Sleep quality is very important         
-More meditation = more lucid dreams
-May sound lame but a healthy died helps a lot too
-Most of the lucid dreams will be early in the morning   ( for me at least )

Edit: Avoid caffeine, it suppresses sleep and dream time 

Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions  :D

Edited by Alen

When I was a boy (like 14 or so) I remember to become conscious while i was dreaming (not many times anyway, maybe just 3 or 4)... I never had the power/ability to control the scene but i remember it was very cool (I even told my mom)... I guess I could do that before because, as a boy, I had a lot of energy and my mind wake up when my body was sleeping... now, as an adult I barely can wake up with the alarm of my clock.

Anyway, I have faith it could be possible (with practice) to become aware while you are dreaming... In a sense it could be a sort of opposite of meditation in which your mind "fall asleep" while your body is awake.

Just guessing

I was really into lucid dreaming when I was about 15 years old. I read a book on it and did many of the practices to where I was getting lucid dreams two or three times a week for a few months while I practiced them. The practices consisted of asking myself throughout the waking day if I was dreaming. I would either do this from memory alone or use a trigger. For example, every time I see a fire hydrant (any object really) I ask myself if I'm dreaming. It's really great because you can explore the dream world and mold it to fit your wishes. Also, whenever I would lucid dream it was always my intent to find cabinets, drawers, and other compartments to read the papers that were left in them. I wanted to use this as a means of uncovering things hidden in my unconscious. But I was only ever able to make this materialize a couple times. One time, I was in a check-out line at Save-a-Lot and a man came up to me with a watermelon and dropped it into my hands. It was surprisingly light because it was hollowed out. I opened it and found a flyer advertising a cult that worshipped and feared the cold. Dreams are very interesting, and being conscious in them is very empowering. 

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

Lucidity has become my life over the past year, you could say my ego's playground. If you are really interested In quick results I suggest checking out Stephen laberge as he is the father of Western lucidity induction technique. From here there is an extensive trail that can be followed backward through history thousands of years. Tibetan dreàm yoga would be an example, and a current resource in this would be B. Allen Wallace. Do not make the mistake of underestimating lucidity, or shall I say awareness within the sleeping state as just an opportunity for some fun. To cheapen it to this would be to lessen what is in actuality a great portion of your time on this earth, the sleeping state. But to to become aware of the time we waiste is of utmost importance. To dream as life, and to live as dream uninterrupted would be my goal. 

I've personally tried it many times before I got into personal development I loved this idea...  I would even try to sleep in the day to lucid dream, all the times I would become conscious and the dream would break, I'm always confused weather I'm dreaming from the first persons point of view or third persons... I would try to interpret those dreams as I would fail in attainment of lucidity...i've not researched a lot though but the information I got I concluded that each one would have a different interpretation of symbols in dreams... But the waking life has to be externally well structured to give you the freedom to lucid dream is what I feel, so I put this to the back seat...is this an excuse to not pursue my dream?  No pun intended :-) 

BuI find one of the most enjoyable aspects of dreaming to be the ability to drop subject object differentiation. It goes beyond whether your experiencing in the first or third person, you are quite literally the entire substrate or dreamscape. Every dream character is you, the ground is you. This can be focused on within a lucid dream very convincingly, it is more amazing than I can describe with words. As far as dream symbols and analysis I am a firm believer that no one besides yourself can effectively interpret your dreams and that dream dictionaries are not worth the paper they are printed on. 

Losing lucidity or waking up upon its outset is a huge stumbling block for every new oneronaut. It is such a rush to finally achieve that the excitement just wakes you up, this took me a long time to get over. Once you get used to entering into lucidity it's becomes less shocking and all the stabilizing methods that you read about during waking life come back to you. Maintaining awareness, or lucidity, is also a huge challenge, almost as hard as maintaining awareness during the waking state. But the 2 compliment each other and are intact exactly the same thing. It is for this reason I would say the dream practice is completely worth the effort and should not be seen as a separate part of your training but as a continuation of your day. Where ever you find awareness sleep or not you gain the opportunity to explore. 

@rcuch what you are describing seems more like a sleep paralysis. It is a transitional state between wakefulness and sleep where you can leave your body. The voices you heard are probably halluzinations. 

If you want to persue it again you can try layong on your back and DONT MOVE YOUR BODY (really Important) Most of the times when i try it i get in this state ?

lucid dreaming is a myth, reality is a dream :)

it makes no sense seeking for lucid dreaming, it's the same as awake

Edited by Soulbass

I had a deep interest in lucid dreaming when I was in my mid to late teens. I've read a lot about it, studied and practiced it. There are numerous techniques and tricks that definitely produce results but if you want to be succesful you need to really dedicate yourself to it.

One of the keys is keeping a dream journal - that will help you memorize, analyze and be more aware of your dreams (watch out for patterns). Sometimes you will have difficulty being lucid and other times it will happen on it's own - having multiple ones in one night. You might even experience a few false awakenings which can be scary as the dream gets even more realistic each time.

I won't lie it's really fun but is also draining and time consuming, even if you get the hang of it. Being lucid is one thing but having the dream under control is totally different. You'll need a lot of practice.

Watch Inception, Waking Life and Vanilla Sky to get a taste of what LD feels like. 

On 3/7/2016 at 0:32 PM, Soulbass said:

lucid dreaming is a myth, reality is a dream :)

it makes no sense seeking for lucid dreaming, it's the same as awake

I can agree with some of this statement although I'm not sure on its overall sentiment. Yes I agree that most of of us live waking life within a dream like state, and almost as many of us live our sleep States in lazy blackness. If the goal is awareness during the waking state than the phenomena of lucid dreaming would seem to be its counter part during the sleep state. We can mix the two and speak of their seamlessness only in vaugeries since most, if not all, would lack the discipline to achieve such a state even if it were the goal. The occurance of awareness during the sleep state is as a phenomena, definitely not a myth. It is completely achievable and anyone who disputes it's occurance can only be arguing their inexperience. Anyone who has experienced a super lucid dream, one in which percieved volition is attained through the accumulation of awareness can begin to see that which may be a truly seamless existence.