Askarov

Staying at a Big IT Company with Stable Pay or Moving to a Startup

9 posts in this topic

I'm currently employed as a project manager at one of the largest IT companies in our country, which is a major player in government-related projects. Although the pay is stable and the job security is solid, the management leaves much to be desired, and I find myself not really doing what I was hired to do. Instead of focusing on true project management, my daily tasks have drifted away from my actual expertise.

Recently, a startup has approached me. They promise not only a dynamic work environment but also a role that aligns closely with my original career aspirations in project management. The startup seems like it could offer a more engaging and fulfilling path, with greater potential for personal and professional growth.

However, moving to a startup could mean less stability in terms of salary, which is a significant consideration. I'm torn between staying in a secure but unsatisfying role or taking a risk for potentially greater job satisfaction.

Would love to hear your thoughts or if anyone has faced a similar dilemma. Thanks in advance for your insights!

Looking forward to your responses!

I'd say stay. Just left a startup that went bankrupt. Transitioning from a bankrupt startup is much more difficult than transitioning from an industry leader. You will face stress if the startup doesn't perform well, which is likely as most startups fail. 

Dynamic is not always good; it might be stressful. 

You also can't predict if the management there will be better. Might be worse. Also, startups usually have a faster pace than established companies.

Anyway, I worked at both and would choose a well-established company every day of the week in this scenario. 

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found merely a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse of that one the world is no longer worthy." - Jesus

"The way that we teach Love is not through words and not through behaviors. The way we teach it is through the quietness in our mind." -Ken Wapnick

Posted (edited)

move. Life is too short to be performing at the 30% of your capabilites. (Regardless of how stable it is your job ---unless you have wife kids and all of that thing)

Edited by Javfly33

May you realize you are sitting on your Inmortal Throne of Bliss, and you have no obligations of any kind but to enjoy What You Are. Shambo

Posted (edited)

@Askarov

If I were you, I would work for a big IT company until I found a way to have a stable income without working for them. But there are so many factors that I don't and can't know about.

My recommendation: chat with an AI. It'll be way more productive.

Edited by Nemra

There are a couple of questions to ask that might help you with your decision:

1. How used are you to working with ambiguity or little to no guidance?
  2. Do you like having structure or don't mind going with the flow?
  3. Do you currently own your place or live at home with parents?
  4. Are you in a relationship or single? Do you have any financial dependents?
  5. How long have you worked at your current company?
  6. What are your current personal and professional growth goals? 
  7. Does the startup in question align with things you're geniunely curious about? What do they do? What's their runway? Who are the founders? Are they 1st time founders or have they done this before? Bootstrapped or VC funded?
  8. In the nicest way possible, are you asking us for permission to leave your current job?

I would say move if you meet two or more of these requirements (ideally all):

• You have no financial dependents.
  • You live at home with parents and don't have to worry about bills since you'll be getting paid less.
  • You're OK with ambiguity both in terms of your role and also your tenure at the startup which could be a month, 6 months, a year or 3 years.
  • You value new experience and risk over stability at this current stage of your life. We all take risks, some more brave than others. Knowing how much risk you're willing to take will help in your decision.

In a nutshell, will you see a return on investment from joining this venture for your career? Will you be able to captialise on opportunities that can come from working in a startup environment (e.g. meeting lots of like-minded people, valuable customers and investors)? 

I worked in a startup straight out of university/college and I enjoyed my experience despite no longer being there as there wasn't enough money coming in. I intend to transition back into that space after a few years working in a corporate role whether as a founder or as a part of a team.

I hope that helps (somewhat) in your decision making process! Interested to know what you decide to do in the end.

Just please stay. Large companys are way more attractive than startups. Don't be irrational.

Of course there are exceptions but on 90 % probability you will regret it. 

Large companies are usually better organised, provide better training and pay more.

That being said, yes a startup could potentially be more fulfilled and engaging. Especially, when you already know a lot and feel like you are working below what you are capable of.

If stability is not that important to you I'd say go for it. Changing jobs every few years might also make it easier for you to get higher positions if that is something you want. Depends on your situation.

Posted (edited)

If you are in this career for stability, safety, financial security and career progression then stay with the big corpo. 

Also if you are planning family, thinking about buying a house etc, definitely don't go work for a startup. 

I'd only consider a startup if you are young, have already decent financial background and are looking for a new challenge rather than something stable. Otherwise startups are not worth it. Long working hours, poorly defined structures, blured boiundaries of work, low benefits, high risk of redundancy and low pay is generally what people close to me who have worked at start-ups experienced. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

You've probably gone on with the issue already, but I'll leave a reply anyway because the topic is personal and I've kinda gone through that.

Considering how low job satisfaction can affect your life quality in general and through that even to your possibilities to maintain a secure job, I would almost always advice towards an option that has potential to increase your job satisfaction - especially if your situation is crucial. Even if you have a family, it might be worth a shot, as low satisfaction can greatly impact you in how you relate to your family as well. 

Although I don't know if startup is the best solution for you as it can lead to similar negative outcomes, such as burnout and also financial crisis, or if you have a family that depends on your income. It also requires tons of time, which can lead to burnout, although the propensity for that is vastly reduced if you really like what you're doing. Even if the startup fails, it can take you to new interesting places workwise and lifewise, which you've never even thought of, and so can be taken as an adventure. It gives you valuable experience and possibility to learn more about life and yourself. 

It all depends on your personal preferences and personality. Maybe finding another job could brighten your work life, as you clearly have a speciality you like and could put in use.