Rares

[Book] The Five Love Languages, Gary Chapman (9/10)

14 posts in this topic

The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman its probably one of the best books I ever read.

According to Gary Chapman, there are 5 languages of love:

1) Words of affirmation. Verbal compliments, words of appreciation, constant encouragement.
2) Acts of service. Doing little things around the house, taking responsibility for larger projects. Tasks that require thought, planning, time, effort, and energy
3) Gifts. If your partner loves surprises, honor this by giving gifts of money, possessions, or things you have created
4) Physical contact. Kisses, hugs, and holding hands as well as sexual intercourse are important expressions of intimacy.
5) Quality time. Doing something together where you give your spouse your full attention.

Its a easy to read book and the value that you take from  its priceless.  You can apply this right away in your love life and also with your family, friends. You'll understand what love language they have and you will know how to act so your relations can be healthy, pleasant, harmoniously :)

I've herd of this book a few times now. I am really keen to read it, as soon as I can find the time, sounds very interesting. Thanks for the reminder. 

I recomand you the audiobook :) in a few hours its done :)

This book is amazing. Together with "How to be a 3% man" from Corey Wayne, it's a must read on this topic!

I've used this along with with my partner and had good success with it. I find it a great starting point for understanding how personal values and expectations interplay within a relationship.

Edited by NariusV

On 2/6/2016 at 0:45 PM, MIA.RIVEL said:

I've herd of this book a few times now. I am really keen to read it, as soon as I can find the time, sounds very interesting. Thanks for the reminder. 

Hey Mia, I think it's a fantastic quick read. One to really put towards the top of the list. 

If you go to his website (google 5 love langauges) you can take the test for either a single person or a person in a relationship. They ask you 30 either or questions and you are marked out of 30, the max being 12 in any one area. Takes about 15/20 mins but can inform the rest of your life in a relationship.

In my own relationship I learned that quality time was my girlfriend's love language, and words of affirmation was mine. We had broken up before due to differences we couldn't really understand but when we got back together (and we both took the test) she now makes a special effort to speak in my language, and when I am with her I give her my full, undivided attention and don't blame her for wanting to spend a lot of time together. When I can't see her, I reiterate that I want to be able to give her my full love and attention and I won't be able to do that until I have gotten other things done. She understands this as I speak it to her in the way she understands. And as I said, she is much freer with her words of affirmation, which is something that doesn't come as natually to her, but she knows it is how I express love. 

It's a great read whether single, dating or in a committed relationship.

On 2/7/2016 at 11:24 AM, The Alchemist said:

This book is amazing. Together with "How to be a 3% man" from Corey Wayne, it's a must read on this topic!

Did you get the recommend from Corey as well??

57 minutes ago, Jackthelad said:

Did you get the recommend from Corey as well??

Haha, from Leo himself actually, from his book list :D This was before I even knew about Corey

4 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

Haha, from Leo himself actually, from his book list :D This was before I even knew about Corey

I think I came across it from both of them (prob Leo first) so I gave in and got it; man never ever regretted it (would have been a strange thing to regret in fairness!).

It's made such a difference in my relationship.

We must talk more about books and such -- we seem to have a very similar taste!

I read the book and there were really good points in it. For instance, that we have different desires of how love should be expressed. Some love physical touch, some would prefer words of appreciation and kindness, others prefer receiving gifts as a sign of love of their partner. 

I would recommend it, if you want to understand a little bit more about relationship.

This book is very insightful and I would recommend it. We tend to think that everyone is like us. Its good to understand that each person values things differently than we do and to open up the lines of communication to find out what that person values most.

I want to grab this book, but don't know which edition to choose! I saw editions for singles, men, military, instasummary, summary & analysis, classic, and more! I am 30, single, but I've just met someone, and I'd like it to come off. Can you recommend an edition for me?

I haven't read this book. Must be amazing. Need to pick this one

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

I am currently listening to the audio book on audible and its pretty awesome. I love the way Gary Chapman describes the 5 love languages and makes loving and caring so easy and simple. I think this is a must read self help book for everyone!!?

"Becoming 'awake' involves seeing our own confusion more clearly"-Rumi