BlueOak

What countries welcome immigrants and have a progressive outlook?

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I am looking for a country that is in, or moving into what we might call a progressive phase culturally, and I don't care where in the world that country is, or what language I need to speak. One that values immigrants (because I'd be one), and generally is going through that phase of growth and opening up to the world.

Can you name three such countries? 

Thank you.

*This might fit better in a different forum, as its more personal than outwardly political.

Edited by BlueOak

Posted (edited)

None? I heard that Thailand and Singapore were quite welcoming, but this list puts Thailand dead last almost.

https://www.statista.com/chart/10804/the-countries-most-and-least-accepting-of-migrants/

I am finding most of the data out of date, this is 2020. Sweden, for example on this list is going through a big anti-migrant backlash. There have to be some countries out there that welcome workers or income. None spring to anyone's mind?

I think the official figures haven't fully accepted the new anti-migrant reality yet in most places, that's why I can't find an answer that lines up with my experience.

This list:

https://www.y-axis.com/blog/top-10-most-accepting-countries-for-immigrants-in-2024/

Living here and talking to people, I wouldn't put the UK on there at all. We are more anti immigration than I've ever seen. What do people think about Canada, Norway, or New Zealand on this issue? It at least puts Singapore up there on this link.

Edited by BlueOak

It seems like we're in a phase of less acceptance of migrants compared to before at the moment in general. It seems somewhat cyclical to me.

But this applies more to populations than individuals in my opinion. If you have a valuable skill then they will be more likely accepting of you compared to not.

You could leverage your connections to find work abroad and let the company you work for help lace you up. Migration is easier when you have someone who is a citizen helping you in my experience.

Posted (edited)

On 17/04/2024 at 0:00 PM, BlueOak said:

Can you name three such countries? 

1. Belgium, especially Brussels is very welcoming. Considering Belgium is a bi lingular country, there is some division within the locals that tends to aid you as a foreigner since everyone is a foreigner in a way.

2. Netherlands for the most part has very open people and everyone speaks English. Also very little pride regarding language, unlike places like France.

3. USA. I mean, the whole country was build by immigrants so. Not much to explain here.

Note that this is in terms of easy to integrate and stuff. NOT the immigration LAWS.

If we talk pure LAWS, then Germany is by far the easiest to go to in Europe at the moment. But it is not as welcoming people wise as the three countries I wrote.

Edited by Karmadhi

Yo yo mr Oak.

Only shitty or stupidly lax countries will not have a severe migration policy.
If you want to move to a quality place, you will (normally) have to prove that you are someone particularly qualified.

Btw, you should already be happy living in the United Kingdom, this company shows that you live too much in your head and are delusional as a result. Just be content to create a cool social and professional life for yourself, then these ideas of the mind will disperse.

Also, i don't know why you have talked about Thailand and SingaPoor, they are everything but "green" and/or pro-immigration lol. 

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

Argentina and Tasmania seem like dope places.

@LoneWonderer | @Vrubel

New Zealand is definitely on my list to visit, a beautiful place. I had a friend there I used to speak to, and I hadn't considered Tasmania from that region, thank you for the other idea.

@Basman
I appreciate the thoughts. thank you. I will soon be self-employed again, so work will not be an issue. It's more that I'm looking to be accepted as someone moving there. I can probably travel as I work, so making some visits to these places will let me know more.

@Karmadhi
I hadn't considered Belgium, and the Netherlands, but I had a great old Dutch friend before he passed, larger than life. Maybe I should have a look, thanks.

@Schizophonia
You are giving me a story from your head about my head :). I've always wanted to work and travel at the same time. Don't worry yourself so much about other people's life choices. Even if long term I am seeking somewhere that is more aligned with me, rather than railing against the reality here. I should have taken this step a decade ago rather than suffer my own stubbornness. Though I will say, 'your crazy not to want to live in the UK', is one common British attitude I will not miss, there is a whole world out there, and some of it is very beautiful.

4 hours ago, BlueOak said:

@LoneWonderer | @Vrubel

New Zealand is definitely on my list to visit, a beautiful place. I had a friend there I used to speak to, and I hadn't considered Tasmania from that region, thank you for the other idea.

@Basman
I appreciate the thoughts. thank you. I will soon be self-employed again, so work will not be an issue. It's more that I'm looking to be accepted as someone moving there. I can probably travel as I work, so making some visits to these places will let me know more.

@Karmadhi
I hadn't considered Belgium, and the Netherlands, but I had a great old Dutch friend before he passed, larger than life. Maybe I should have a look, thanks.

@Schizophonia
You are giving me a story from your head about my head :). I've always wanted to work and travel at the same time. Don't worry yourself so much about other people's life choices. Even if long term I am seeking somewhere that is more aligned with me, rather than railing against the reality here. I should have taken this step a decade ago rather than suffer my own stubbornness. Though I will say, 'your crazy not to want to live in the UK', is one common British attitude I will not miss, there is a whole world out there, and some of it is very beautiful.

It seems to me that France has a fairly lax migration policy with citizens from Great Britain.
Many English people spend their retirement in my region.

If this interests you. :)

@Schizophonia

Traditionally, western France used to be a favored destination for English expats because it is a beautiful area to settle in. I've seen a lot more anti-migration sentiment among the general French population in the last five years or so, covered in the media. Would you say that was exaggerated?

France is bound to become the leading country in Europe because of demographics, the Germans are not reproducing anymore.

Are you really planning on moving out of the UK?

35 minutes ago, BlueOak said:

@Schizophonia

Traditionally, western France used to be a favored destination for English expats because it is a beautiful area to settle in. I've seen a lot more anti-migration sentiment among the general French population in the last five years or so, covered in the media. Would you say that was exaggerated?

This concerns massive immigration from the countries of the Maghreb, the Middle East and especially Black Africa.

To put it bluntly, no one cares about white expats in France.
The French like the English.

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

no one cares about white expats in France.

Tru, I get the feeling that white immigrants are pretty well accepted everywhere in the West, including the Americas, usually everywhere there’s democracy.

Edited by MarkKol

7 hours ago, BlueOak said:

@BasmanI appreciate the thoughts. thank you. I will soon be self-employed again, so work will not be an issue. It's more that I'm looking to be accepted as someone moving there. I can probably travel as I work, so making some visits to these places will let me know more.

Oh, I assumed you meant the just finding the opportunity to migrate instead of integrate specifically.

Here's my perspective, do as the Romans. Don't expect strangers of a land you are settling in to to accept you wholesale with no effort on your part. That is not how humans work. Humans are bred to like people who are like them. So you have to integrate if you want the best experience, which means to act like them.

Westerners are probably the most tolerant people when it comes to this on the planet (mileage may vary per country). Because there are cultures that are not accepting of foreigners regardless of how well you learn their customs and language. Like Japan. In Japan, once a foreigner always a foreigner. You will never be seen as Japanese unless you look Japanese at the bare minimum. Western countries in contrast will accept you generally if you integrate and especially in big cities.

11 hours ago, MarkKol said:

Are you really planning on moving out of the UK?

It won't be tomorrow, but yes, as a long-term goal. I'll miss some things, the sound of birds, the smell of rain, the beautiful countryside (while it's still there), technologies, open speech, and public transport (when they run it), but I am very far away from what England is and where it is headed. I need to travel around and find a better fit for me.

@Basman | @Schizophonia

I appreciate the thoughts.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, MarkKol said:

Tru, I get the feeling that white immigrants are pretty well accepted everywhere in the West, including the Americas, usually everywhere there’s democracy.

White migrants don't attack locals.

Just today : 

https://www.fdesouche.com/2024/04/19/montauban-82-des-migrants-clandestins-attaquent-un-pere-de-famille-pour-le-voler-a-coups-de-barre-de-fer-et-de-machette-en-plein-jour/

It never stops, there are crimes like that everyday nowadays.

Yesterday :

https://www.ladepeche.fr/2024/04/18/deux-filles-de-6-et-11-ans-agressees-au-couteau-pres-de-leur-ecole-lindividu-interpelle-11898697.php

Whatever...

Edited by Schizophonia