emil1234

is deep sleep really unconsciousness/non-existence?

28 posts in this topic

i dont think so. heres why.

so first off we gotta establish what is meant by non-existence. heres how i would explain non existence from an individualised subjective point of view.

Say you just drove home from work in your car, and went into your room. you are sitting in your room looking at your wall and nothing else. literally everything which is not in you direct experience while looking at the wall is non existent. the car you just left is non existing from you point of view. notice that the car is not some sort of a "blank",or are an empty spot. the car is simply not existing.

another way to describe non existence would be the current visual perception you're experiencing through for example your feet. notice the absense of visual perception everywhere except through your eyes. thats non existence. its not a blank, or an emptiness, its simply not there, nothing at all.

i dont think i was able to explain it very well lol, but if you understand what i mean,i think this definition of non existence is pretty good. and i dont think sleep applies to this definition of non existence.

when we are sleeping, theres still something there. its not non existing the same way that literally everything not in your direct experience right now is.

i would rather describe deep sleep as a blank, emptiness, or a lack of all sorts of apperances, here under physical objects, emotions, sensations and thoughts. i think if we remove all of these from the equation, we arrive at deep sleep.

furthermore id argue that the experience of deep sleep is actually also present during waking experience. it simply gets clouded by apperances, sensations, emotions and thoughts. 

Consciousness is always there, even in deep sleep. I agree.

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

Deep sleep = Consciousness = Being.

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

Posted (edited)

Deep sleep doesn't exist. You never slept in your life. There was just a change of scenario in consciousness, one frame everything was dark, next frame sunny day and refreshing sensation in the body + an expansive sensation of time has passed. Consciousness didn't miss a single beat

There is no sleep. Like in a dream, each moment spawns coherently in all directions, faultlessly without any gap or missing piece in the universal puzzle.

If you wanna get deeper into sleep. There have been great discussions in the forum about the topic.

@Breakingthewall's answer cracked the nut for me. I haven't seen sleep in the same way ever again. There is no sleep, for real, never, there is a perfect eternal and continuos flow of consciousness and this has been always the case in your direct experience. All unconsciousness is a fantasy that consciousness imagines. Your consciousness, or better said: Pure Consciousness is Absolutely Total and All-Encompassing, all blind spots are but luminous threads in the Mind Labyrinth of Infinite Consciousness in which find all ourselves in right now.

Edited by Davino

God-Realize, this is First Business. Know that unless you live properly, this is not possible.

There is this body, you should know the requirements of your body. This is first duty. We have obligations towards others, loved ones, family, society, etc. Without material wealth we cannot do these things, for that a professional duty.

There is Mind; mind is wild. Its higher nature should be nurtured, then Mind becomes strong and mature. When all Duties are continuously fulfilled, then life becomes steady. In this steady life God is available. Discipline this life & Realize God

@Davino yea i do like that perspective, of sleep just being a time skip. and id agree that time is non existent during sleep, since there is a lack of all apperances, including time. however i dont think sleep qualifies as non existence. there seem to still be something observing the lack of apperances

@emil1234 Non existence doesn't exist by definition. It's something existence imagines as a concept but not as an actuality how could you ever experience something that is not, lack of something is definetely an experience. Something truly non existent, doesn't exist.

Reality is Total, Existence is Absolute, 

God Fucks itself in the ass for Infinity, that's the Ultimate Strange Loop

God-Realize, this is First Business. Know that unless you live properly, this is not possible.

There is this body, you should know the requirements of your body. This is first duty. We have obligations towards others, loved ones, family, society, etc. Without material wealth we cannot do these things, for that a professional duty.

There is Mind; mind is wild. Its higher nature should be nurtured, then Mind becomes strong and mature. When all Duties are continuously fulfilled, then life becomes steady. In this steady life God is available. Discipline this life & Realize God

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Davino said:

God Fucks itself in the ass for Infinity, that's the Ultimate Strange Loop

ill put this in my tinder and insta bio

5 minutes ago, Davino said:

@emil1234 Non existence doesn't exist by definition. It's something existence imagines as a concept but not as an actuality how could you ever experience something that is not, lack of something is definetely an experience. Something truly non existent, doesn't exist.

and yea, although i would say that human definitions rarely hold ontological truth. i do agree however

holy shit i just had an epiphany. the deep sleep state existed pre birth

Edited by emil1234

1 minute ago, emil1234 said:

shit i just had an epiphany. the deep sleep state existed pre birth

Deep sleep=Before birth=Consciousness=Being=Now.

Posted (edited)

@James123 wtf is that really it? it seems too obvious and simple lol. but it definetely doesnt seem like something that was born, since it is literally NOTHING

Edited by emil1234

2 minutes ago, emil1234 said:

but it definetely doesnt seem like something that was born, since it is literally NOTHING

Ever create beautiful art? You birth that.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

6 minutes ago, emil1234 said:

@James123 wtf is that really it? it seems too obvious and simple lol. but it definetely doesnt seem like something that was born, since it is literally NOTHING

Nothing has never happened. Now is before so called birth. Rest is attachment with so called thoughts.

@James123 its like i can literally remember it being there pre birth, because its outside of time. im having a mini awakening right now wtf. is this really what people mean when they talk about the nothingness that never dies?

@James123 its like i can literally remember it being there pre birth, because its outside of time. im having a mini awakening right now wtf. is this really what people mean when they talk about the nothingness that never dies?

Yes. Because, it never Borns. 

@James123 no, its literally eternal, i cant find a beginning nor an end to it. time literally doesnt apply to it. its just there LOL

@James123 no, its literally eternal, i cant find a beginning nor an end to it. time literally doesnt apply to it. its just there LOL

What is eternal? How do you know there is such thing as eternal?

@James123 well i would define eternal as the lack of time. and time doesnt seem to apply to this thing, yet its there = eternal

6 minutes ago, emil1234 said:

@James123 well i would define eternal as the lack of time. and time doesnt seem to apply to this thing, yet its there = eternal

Didn't you learn these words from human beings? How can you trust them?

@James123 haha yea i see where u are going. ultimately there is absolutley nothing which can be known for sure, except that Being/perception/consciousnes is the case. and this thing seem to basically BE Being

@emil1234 People are using different definitions of words, which may be why there is some common disagreements around here.

Consciousness can be defined in a couple of ways, your general Awareness, ability to Perceive via the 5 senses, that can be defined as Consciousness..

Consciousness can also mean the fundamental nature of Existence/Creation and what was there before Creation, Grand Intelligence/Brahman/Shiva(that which is not)..

In Deep sleep, which is a state, compared to Waking, Dreaming, and Full Realization, one is not perceiving anything via the 5 senses, but everything is still on, everything is being recorded and stored, but in Your subjective experience nothing exists, everything is gone, until you wake up, so in the context, we don't exist in perception terms, subjectively of course, and everything is subjective, you cannot experience anything outside of Yourself...

Consciousness on a Grand Scale is still going on, things are being done and undone and everything is Now, Past and Future all at once...

Karma Means "Life is my Making", I am 100% responsible for my Inner Experience. -Sadhguru..."I don''t want Your Dreams to come True, I want something to come true for You beyond anything You could dream of!!" - Sadhguru

3 minutes ago, emil1234 said:

@James123 haha yea i see where u are going. ultimately there is absolutley nothing which can be known for sure, except that Being/perception/consciousnes is the case. and this thing seem to basically BE Being

Damn right.