vibv

Interesting perspective of a disillusioned female scientist

15 posts in this topic

This is really worth watching. It's essentially about the huge impact and repercussions that survival has on science. And how you can't really avoid playing the game, either.

The Secret of this Universe is You.

my music

Jesus, if this is what is happening in Germany, you could already imagine what is happening in less developed parts of the world including the states. Dodged a bullet by not pursuing academia further than a degree although this was the career path expected of me from myself. 

Reality has a harsh way of bursting your bubble.

People should really be more honest and work explicitly on survival the right way before we delve in to more serious stuff like science or philosophy.

Posted (edited)

I still sense her strong aversion to non-scientific stuff. There's something iffy about physicists that I still don't get.

Edited by Nemra

26 minutes ago, Nemra said:

I still sense her strong aversion to non-scientific stuff. There's something iffy about physicists that I still don't get.

Because she dedicated her whole life to advancing physics. We live and think every day on physical and the questions about existence. So petty stuff will not be held in the same grounds as physics at all. 

Academia is a pyramid scheme.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

You always have to play the survival game. Your choice is how.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

4 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Academia is a pyramid scheme.

But something tells me that it has gotten so rotten after 2020 as opposed to 2010. Or it could be the case that social media is making the corruption and bullshit so glaringly obvious, among other things. 

6 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

You always have to play the survival game. Your choice is how.

Most people coming to academia are doing so for idealistic reason like to advance the frontier of knowledge for humanity. They do know yet that they are going to be playing even more survival games in academia. 

It pays to first take care of survival and then do real science like Sabine did. 

It would have absolutely broken my heart to see them making a mockery of something as beautiful as Physics & Cosmology.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Bobby_2021 said:

Survival and then do real science like Sabine did. 

How did she do that? YouTube revenue?

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Regardless of her backstory, I still don't like Sabine Hossenfelder.

She's a staunch materialist and a lot of the stuff she posts on her YouTube channel is nonsense. Mainly because she seems to like to make a lot of pop-science clickbait and bullshit her way to sounding smart.

2 hours ago, Extreme Z7 said:

She's a staunch materialist and a lot of the stuff she posts on her YouTube channel is nonsense

Like what?

2 hours ago, Extreme Z7 said:

Mainly because she seems to like to make a lot of pop-science clickbait and bullshit her way to sounding smart

YouTube survival games. 

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, Bobby_2021 said:

Like what?

No serious intellectual would post cringe like this.

or this

Edited by Extreme Z7

4 minutes ago, Extreme Z7 said:

No serious intellectual would post cringe like this.

or this

Haha In YouTube you have no choice but to Target the average viewer to drive up revenue. She can't stick to her idealism on Yt as well.

I agree that some of it is cringe. I used to watch her long back and then unsubbed. Her video on Nuclear energy was good. 

Posted (edited)

@Bobby_2021 You don't need to post cringe to become succesful on YouTube.

Case in point: She seems to have real science and science news content. The pretentious philosphical videos are unnecessary. Philisophy is not her strong point.

Edited by Extreme Z7

@vibv

I wanted to post this😤

But seriously I was considering a Phd cuz Im finishing up my MA degree. I decided not to. You wont find Truth through peer reviewed research papers.