Scholar

Why Is Math So Precise?

27 posts in this topic

@Visitor Even in theory it does not work. Pi is still smaller number than 4 which also means that it is finitely big and there is no infinite circumference, that is what I am trying to show you.

I think you are using the word infinite for a length instead of number of digits.

When it rains, it pours like hell.
-Insomnium

My blog: dragallur.wordpress.com

Math is dealing with abstract numerical, logical, and geometrical relations.  This ignoring of context and generality is what gives math its simplicity.  

I believe that math is a tool for measuring the universe, and through it, you may be able to find patterns and intelligence embedded in the universe itself.

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

@Scholar This reality is fairly stable and predictable. 

Goes out the window once you are no longer in this reality however. 

“The psychotic drowns in the same waters in which the mystic swims with delight.”

1 hour ago, Cykaaaa said:

EDIT: oh shit I've just noticed how old this thread is lol

Oops

“The psychotic drowns in the same waters in which the mystic swims with delight.”

Math is literally “being precise” in action. Math is always a 100% precise because math is constructed to be exactly and only that. However when applying math and filling in the variables, your accuracy is never 100% so never fully precise. But in the abstract sense math is per definition 100% precise.

Math is also art. It can show you beautiful things like Euler’s Identity. 

Elevators of my mind,

Up and down a million times

Loving you.