Emerald

The Dao and What it Reveals About Shadow Work

17 posts in this topic

The Dao as a symbol (aka the Yin/Yang) is a representation of the inherent perfection and wholeness of all that is.

The circular shape of the Dao represents absolute wholeness this inherently perfect and contains (yet transcends) all opposites.

And then within the wholeness of the circle... there is a duality of positive and negative.

And on the level of duality there is the concept of perfection and imperfection... infinite and finite... light and darkness... and all other dichotomies of the dualistic world.

It is like the archetypal representation of the Sun and Moon... where the circle represents the Sun which is the Masculine and spiritual component of the Dao where all things are inherently perfect as they are.

Then, the Moon has a dark and light side like the Dao... and this represents the more Feminine and Earthly components of the Dao where nothing is ideal and there is a world of contrasts and opposites where we have preference for "this thing" over "that thing".

So the Dao is a representation of the relative duality that exists within (and as) the absolute non-duality of existence...

It is similar to how both the relative finite and relative infinite are dichotomous component of the absolute infinite... and both the relative imperfection and relative perfection are components of the absolute perfection... and the relative separation and relative oneness are components of the absolute oneness.

And with enough consciousness and a deep enough connection to truth and love, all dualities of the Dao collapse into an absolute perfection that transcends all dichotomous conceptualizations of "good and bad".

And the light side of the Dao is only a meager reflection of infinite brightness of the Dao as a whole... just as the light side of the moon is a meager reflection of the intense brightness of the sun.

This is how much dimmer the human conceptualizations of goodness are in comparison to the absolute goodness that includes all things... the good, the bad, and the ugly.

So, if we are attached to conceptualizations and identities of relative goodness (in opposition to relative badness), then we cannot connect to the absolute goodness that transcends these relativistic dualities.

This is why the Dao provides an excellent explanation of what's needed in Shadow Work.

When we only look at ourselves and reality from the perspective of duality without respect to the non-dual... it seems like we live in a world of good and bad.

And from that conclusion the name of the game is to condemn and annihilate the bad so that good may triumph. But this only leads to the dualistic conception of goodness in the relative (which is an incomplete goodness).

And it often leads to all sorts of terrible things.

For a complete goodness, you must embrace the whole and the positive and negative with it.

This is what we do with Shadow Work.

We embrace the absolute wholeness and recognize the perfection of our Self (and all things in reality) as an extension of the Dao (which is one and the same to the Self).

And we avoid polarizing into incomplete identities of relative goodness and excluding the parts of ourselves that we perceive as bad.

It is only then that we can undo the schisms within personalities to reveal the absolute perfection and radiance of the Self that transcends all dualistic conceptualizations of identity.

Unknown-1.png

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

Again, another stellar explanation.

I enjoy reading your posts... they are like a breath of fresh air amidst all of the "you are God and you are dreaming up reality" lucubrations that this forum is usually littered with. ;)

I'll add that without the contrast of Yin & Yang, the entire thing could not be visible (=> experiencable). So the symbol is a beautiful representation of the experiencability of the divine through (apparent) division; only through the appearance of non-unity can the unity of the whole be perceived. It's a perfect system that could not be otherwise, and none of it is a mistake. 9_9

Why so serious?

Posted (edited)

Nice post!

I resonate with this take on the Tai Chi, duality, and embracing the full spectrum aspects of ourselves for doing shadow work. 

This book dove tails very nicely: 

The Tao of Fully Feeling

He does talk essentially about shadow work in this book. Though, it has a lot to do with trauma, and enlightenment, healing etc… and teaches of a lot that resonates with what you said about shadow work. Talks about embracing all of ourselves

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

On 3/5/2024 at 11:24 PM, Bazooka Jesus said:

Again, another stellar explanation.

I enjoy reading your posts... they are like a breath of fresh air amidst all of the "you are God and you are dreaming up reality" lucubrations that this forum is usually littered with. ;)

I'll add that without the contrast of Yin & Yang, the entire thing could not be visible (=> experiencable). So the symbol is a beautiful representation of the experiencability of the divine through (apparent) division; only through the appearance of non-unity can the unity of the whole be perceived. It's a perfect system that could not be otherwise, and none of it is a mistake. 9_9

Thank you! I'm glad you like my posts!

The Dao as a symbol has so much in it.

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

9 hours ago, soos_mite_ah said:

I don't have much to add but since there is no like button, consider this comment as me liking the post lol :) 

Thank you! Good to see you!

Emotionalmastery.org

6 hours ago, Thought Art said:

Nice post!

I resonate with this take on the Tai Chi, duality, and embracing the full spectrum aspects of ourselves for doing shadow work. 

This book dove tails very nicely: 

The Tao of Fully Feeling

He does talk essentially about shadow work in this book. Though, it has a lot to do with trauma, and enlightenment, healing etc… and teaches of a lot that resonates with what you said about shadow work. Talks about embracing all of ourselves

Thank you! I'll keep that book in mind. 

Emotionalmastery.org

The Dao and shadow work was created by humans that weren't Awake to Who they are.

Shadow work is something that the ego loves because It can Keep God in endless running circles trying to heal or improve his imaginary weak self concept.

In other words you are not Awake thats why you are projecting your limiting and debilitating beliefs to us.

"Darkness is also good. Please let me Live.".

Said the Devil trying to survive Infinite light and goodness. 

Spoiler: The Devil never wins because IS false.

@Water by the River

Forgive my intrusion, but I am curious... what's Your Moistness' take on this?

Provided you have a take, of course. ¬¬

Why so serious?

@Bazooka Jesus

"

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name, oh yeah
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, oh yeah, get down, baby

I shouted out
Who killed the Kennedys?
When after all
It was you and me

Tell me baby, what's my name?
Tell me honey, can ya guess my name?
I tell you one time, you're to blame"

So if you meet me
Have some courtesy
Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politnesse
Or I'll lay your soul to waste, mm yeah

"

Every Lila needs light & dark, every movie its hero and villain. That would be the cosmological take.

hm, where were we...

ah, a more serious & responsible answer is probably more indicated:

Wake up, clean up, grow up - Ken Wilber

58 minutes ago, Water by the River said:

@Bazooka Jesus

"

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name, oh yeah
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, oh yeah, get down, baby

I shouted out
Who killed the Kennedys?
When after all
It was you and me

Tell me honey, can ya guess my name?
I tell you one time, you're to blame"

So if you meet me
Have some courtesy
Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politnesse
Or I'll lay your soul to waste, mm yeah

"

Every Lila needs light & dark, every movie its hero and villain. That would be the cosmological take.

hm, where were we...

ah, a more serious & responsible answer is probably more indicated:

Wake up, clean up, grow up - Ken Wilber

Lol, okay... so we got Ken Wilber's and the Stones' take on it. Better than nothing, I guess. 😝

Why so serious?

17 minutes ago, Water by the River said:

One of my fav live performances 

◭"89"

7 hours ago, Javfly33 said:

The Dao and shadow work was created by humans that weren't Awake to Who they are.

Shadow work is something that the ego loves because It can Keep God in endless running circles trying to heal or improve his imaginary weak self concept.

In other words you are not Awake thats why you are projecting your limiting and debilitating beliefs to us.

Are you awake to who you are?

Emotionalmastery.org

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, Javfly33 said:

Actually, you may want to study the Tao. You know very little of its depths. It’s a very deep and profound school of thought/ practice/ insights/ and holistic development that well exceeds what you may expect.

Awakening and shadow work exist on different lines of development.  Both are important in self actualizing work and developing a good life. Don’t let ideas of awakening make you retarded to the reality of your human psychology. 

Awakened people may still choose to do shadow work. Awakening doesn’t now negate doing shadow work and to think so is mislead and immature. 

To be truly good, you likely need to do shadow work. Because, shadow work is in part you shining the light of love on yourself and all the parts you disown/ avoid/ that deeply disturb you. 

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

Posted (edited)

Also, “Shadow Work”, as I understand it is not a traditionally Toaist idea. Though, Taoism is well applied to any area of life.

Also, without doing shadow work you can’t deeply awaken, become deeply wise, nor can you access infinite love. Of course you could do some 5meodmt… but, let me tell you… it’s sometimes shadowwork on steroids. So be careful.

That being said, there is that pernicious paradox of Absolute Truth, Being, and God at the centre of all this.

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

@Javfly33

Reject your shadow and it will come back to bite you in the ass.

Why so serious?