The White Belt

Self-consciousness.

7 posts in this topic

When I go to do my thing, singing and acting, at home, I feel super self-conscious.

When singing I can't get over that somebody in the house is listening to me. When they are out I can't stop thinking about the neighbors listening, so I hold back.

I can't practice these things.

People have told me I'm a lousy singer a few times, where as some have told me i'm good. The criticism was sometimes harsh, but how am I gonna' develop this skill if I can't even practice anywhere without holding back.

Suggestions?

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

Just do it.

Fear must ultimately be faced, not circumvented.

Start by singing in your car.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Thank you.

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

@BeginnerActualizer  it's a case of mild anxiety and slight self-consciousness. This is normal only as long as it doesn't hinder your work. 

Have you joined singing/acting classes. Please do so if required. 

First try humming simply in front of family/friend or someone in the house. Try not to look at anyone in the eye. Because when you're looking at them, you're looking for some reaction from them. Your mind is subconsciously thinking "is he/she laughing at me. Maybe my singing is awful" This is where your mind is tricking you to look for a reaction on a person's face and as soon as see anyone making even the smallest gestures or expressions with their eyes/lips you begin to feel nervous because now you are reaffirming the doubts already generated in your subconscious. So don't look them in the eye. 

You must have observed this very often that when people hum a song or whistle a tune, they tend to look down because they wish to not only avoid attention but also feel less conscious. That's the key. The key is distraction. Look at the window. Look at an object while singing song so the mind does not have time to process people's reactions. 

Once you do this and practice this trick often, your mind will get used to feeling less self-conscious. 

Practice singing in front of a few non-judgmental close friends/coworkers/neighborhood folks. This will be like a warm up session for you. 

Once you you get a hang of doing this repeatedly, your fears will fly away or diminish gradually. It's nothing but the fear of judgment. For most people its slight and unnoticed. In your case, it's causing interference. 

A slight fear is not an issue as long as it doesn't impact your work. It's pretty common. If you begin to think of this fear as something very big, then it'll take over you. 

Since you're interested in a singing cum acting career, you will have to put massive effort in improving your skills as you see these fields are a little competitive. 

But there is no escape. You'll have to do this. The sooner the better. 

Best wishes. 

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

@Loreena thank you, thank you! 

@AlwaysBeNice I have always been drawn to creative pursuits. Singing just seems to be a great way to express oneself. I am barely into to be honest. I love willow smith, not common for a 23 year old man, but I want to do her kind of music! 

― Shunryu Suzuki

When the influence of why you sing outweighs the influence of others opinions of it you will joyfully sing no matter who hears it or what they have to say about it.

Oh... and I'm a terrible singer, no amount of practice could change it, I don't even want to subject my steering wheel or shower curtains to the cat screech coming out of my mouth.

So sing if it brings you joy, just sing.