SFRL

Disciples

32 posts in this topic

Why is it we never hear about any of the disciples of the various Sages?

Everyone wants to be the rockstar but no one wants to be the roadie?

Not to attack anyone personal. But what else are people doing on here other then meditate in their living room to become a Sage? 

@STC Do you mean the disciples in general, or just on the forum? 

Also, there's a lot more to becoming a sage than meditation, though I'm not sure how literal you're being.

11 minutes ago, username said:

@STC Do you mean the disciples in general, or just on the forum? 

Also, there's a lot more to becoming a sage than meditation, though I'm not sure how literal you're being.

I mean what else are people doing on here other then meditating to become this Sagely figure?

I don't think Jesus spend the majority of his time meditating. That's not what he is remembered for. 

As far as disciples go, there are Sages out there these days doing good work in the world being out and about. I am sure they can use a hand. So why not become a good disciple and help them out?

3 hours ago, STC said:

Why is it we never hear about any of the disciples of the various Sages?

Everyone wants to be the rockstar but no one wants to be the roadie?

Not to attack anyone personal. But what else are people doing on here other then meditate in their living room to become a Sage? 

Good  idea

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

@STC

Up to now disciplehood has been tethered to a master who initiates someone into it. But disciplehood is not something which anyone can give you as a gift; it has to be received directly from the divine. Who else but God can initiate you into disciplehood? A disciple tied to the master is bound to become sectarian. It cannot liberate you; instead it will put you in bondage. 

Truth has to be awakened within you. Buddha's last message to his disciples was "App Deepo Bhava", meaning "be a light unto yourself". 

Do you know who was the master of Gautam Buddha when he was enlightened? 

Most who are awake don't teach. And there are - at least the teachers that I know - hundreds of "disciples" that are awake.

8 minutes ago, Prabhaker said:

@STC

Up to now disciplehood has been tethered to a master who initiates someone into it. But disciplehood is not something which anyone can give you as a gift; it has to be received directly from the divine. Who else but God can initiate you into disciplehood? A disciple tied to the master is bound to become sectarian. It cannot liberate you; instead it will put you in bondage. 

Truth has to be awakened within you. Buddha's last message to his disciples was "App Deepo Bhava", meaning "be a light unto yourself". 

Do you know who was the master of Gautam Buddha when he was enlightened? 

No Idea.

I am sure no God is going to call anybody in their living room though.

My point being is that meditations drinking green tea does not do any public service to mankind.  

Just now, STC said:

My point being is that meditations drinking green tea does not do any public service to mankind.  

Assuming that all is One, it is not correct. It is the best service there is. It's an energy thing. It affects everything.

6 minutes ago, Toby said:

Assuming that all is One, it is not correct. It is the best service there is. It's an energy thing. It affects everything.

What if your assumption is wrong? 

You assume your assumption is right. That's two assumptions. Statistically you only have a 25% change your assumption is correct. 

Edited by STC

4 minutes ago, STC said:

I am sure no God is going to call anybody in their living room though.

Everyone is running after money, sex, power, fame; only few are on the path of meditation. They are the chosen people of God, they are doing ultimate service to mankind.

For me, i'm doing all this, to become mentally healthy actually.
I just want to find piece of mind.

Since there are enough teachers around, and assuming i experience some form of ego death, i cannot imagine a need to have my own disciples.
I'll probably just say "fuck you all, i'm enlightened now", and stay in the comfort zone of enlightenment forever or something. :D 

2 minutes ago, Prabhaker said:

Everyone is running after money, sex, power, fame; only few are on the path of meditation. They are the chosen people of God, they are doing ultimate service to mankind.

A lot of people who meditate are after these things, sex, power, and fame as well. 

Just now, STC said:

A lot of people who meditate are after these things, sex, power, and fame as well. 

You can't expect them to become a Buddha in few months, journey is vast and long. They will transform. Every sage was a sinner in the past. We all are sinners. 

3 minutes ago, STC said:

What if your assumption is wrong? 

You assume your assumption is right. That's two assumptions. Statistically you only have a 25% change your assumption is correct. 

For me it's not an assumption. I know that it's true. I chose the word "assuming" to make my statement more true to even someone who is sceptical about it. So, it's just an assumption.

4 minutes ago, zazed said:

For me, i'm doing all this, to become mentally healthy actually.
I just want to find piece of mind.

Since there are enough teachers around, and assuming i experience some form of ego death, i cannot imagine a need to have my own disciples.
I'll probably just say "fuck you all, i'm enlightened now", and stay in the comfort zone of enlightenment forever or something. :D 

The angle I am coming from is why don't have people a goal of becoming a disciple of a Sage. 

It's a more humble approach then the idea of I am going to be the Sage, I am the hero of this story, and I will have my disciples serving me. 

3 minutes ago, STC said:

The angle I am coming from is why don't have people a goal of becoming a disciple of a Sage. 

The real seeker does not worry about the Master, where he is. His whole concern is how to create the disciple in himself, how to be a learner, open to reality; how to function from innocence, and how not to function from the state of knowledge.

If you function from the state of knowledge, you will find many teachers but never a Master. If you already know something, and you think that you know, then you will find other knowers, claimers, who are ahead of you. 

The Master appears only when the disciple is ready. Never otherwise. In no other way. At no other point in life's journey. The disciple has to be ready and ripe; only at that moment does the Master become visible. 

16 minutes ago, Toby said:
6 minutes ago, Prabhaker said:

You can't expect them to become a Buddha in few months, journey is vast and long. They will transform. Every sage was a sinner in the past. We all are sinners. 

They have been meditating for a while now. 

Just now, STC said:

They have been meditating for a while now. 

They are still doing meditation techniques, meditation happens , you can't do meditation. Journey is long, infinite patience is needed. This community is not very old, most of us are beginners. 

@STC If the ego is searching enlightenment, it's the wrong part of us seeking. Nothing we will find.

Someone searching enlightenment for these reasons, will first have to let go of these reasons, before he reaches it.
Being a hero of the story, with "servants", is a contradiction entirely, and totally impossible.

Like, if you want to be enlightenment, because you need to be respected. One of the first things you will realize, is there is no need to be respected. Then you will suddenly be enlightened.

For me, truly, mentally, i am having my issues. I will admit, i am not 100% normal, compared to others.
Enlightenment for me, is some form of release from my broken mind. I couldn't care less about how other people perceive my enlightenment.
I just want to be happy really, and at peace.

1 minute ago, Prabhaker said:

The real seeker does not worry about the Master, where he is. His whole concern is how to create the disciple in himself, how to be a learner, open to reality; how to function from innocence, and how not to function from the state of knowledge.

If you function from the state of knowledge, you will find many teachers but never a Master. If you already know something, and you think that you know, then you will find other knowers, claimers, who are ahead of you. 

The Master appears only when the disciple is ready. Never otherwise. In no other way. At no other point in life's journey. The disciple has to be ready and ripe; only at that moment does the Master become visible. 

So then what is the goal here? Be a Sage or a disciple? Or just do good work?