LoneWonderer

What is your view of hikikomori?

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Are they just mentally ill people? Are they people who just need to choose to suffer and grow instead of hiding away in their bedrooms? Do they deserve sympathy? Is there lifestyle justifiable?

Edited by LoneWonderer

Japanese society and work ethic are incredibly demanding, many young people of the more pampered newer generations will inevitably fall away and need support systems.  

I read in the news today that hikikomory is now also a thing in my country 

Don’t know much about the subject but i think it has many reasons like lower testosterone, family structure, feminism, mental health, technology etc etc

What’s that, is it related to hickies? Increases your chances of being mono.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

Hikikomori are on average more likely to be autistic. It signals an inability to cope with the pressure to conform to Japanese norms as well as the prevalence of technology that allows such a lifestyle. Hikikomori are probably always traumatized.

I believe it is kind of like homelessness, in that when you lose your social connections and slip off the radar nobody notices you and the problem festers.

Posted (edited)

Introverts often feel happier alone. We live in a world that casts introverts as problematic and extroverts as preferred. Which has always seemed stupid to me on the face of it.

The problem is obviously being stuck in a small box all day every day is like caging an animal, it leads to all kinds of problematic conditions forming. Physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and social. At the very least getting out into nature is a good idea, spending time off your computer and doing another activity in another place, even if it's alone, painting, crafting, working on a business, walking whatever. 

Introverts can form all they require from a computer and the internet. The problem is extroverts are telling them how to be. Rather than understanding them for who they are, while at the same time highlighting the dangers of what I just did.

Edited by BlueOak