Spiritual Warrior

Are you more of an extrovert or an introvert?

28 posts in this topic

I‘m extremely introverted. I don’t like to be around people very much. Especially, those who aren’t part of my immediate family or small inner circle of friends. I don’t ever go to social gatherings or parties of any kind.

After interacting with others I find myself feeling completely drained of energy needing to retreat back into my comfort zone before I can go out and attempt to socialize again. Spending a lot of my life secluded has given me the opportunity to expand my own mind and intellect to higher levels. I don’t claim to be this super intelligent “know-it-all” but yes solitude has played a huge part in shaping the way I think and perceive the world.

I think spending time in solitude has its benefits but can also come with a lot of disadvantages too. I guess it all depends on what’s important to you. I personally enjoy being an introvert but every now and then it’s nice to interact with others.

Extremely introverted.   I occasionally struggle to find a healthy social balance, but for the most part, I enjoy my solitude, or the company of a few people I'm very close to and trust.  I have a small group of friends that I do see regularly.   I get a lot of routine socialization at work.  I also play a lot of live cash game poker.  For me, it's an almost perfect way to get a little extra socialization.   You don't really have to talk much if you don't want to and can just kinda chime in here and there, but it lets you get to know people very well, assuming you play together a lot.   Generally I hate large crowds, or groups of people.  I'd much rather hang out with 3 or 4 other people.  Anything over that, I start to get anxious.  

I would like to add a couple more close friends though.  I'm 49 years old.  I have already lost several family members and a couple friends.  Of my highschool friend group of about 12 guys, 4 are already dead, and one might as well be.  I can see the value of having a few good friends, especially as you grow older.    The problem is, people suck.  It's hard to find solid people.  Hell, it's hard to BE a solid person. 

22 hours ago, Princess Arabia said:

Exintrovert

So are you an extrovert now?

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

2 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

So are you an extrovert now?

Both

The "I" wants to know it's not. So, it seeks the end of itself. Hurray, there never was an "I". 

Just now, Princess Arabia said:

Both

In what ways are you an extrovert?

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

1 minute ago, How to be wise said:

In what ways are you an extrovert?

In my day to day life, I don't have a problem talking to people. I can socialize no problem even with strangers; but can be very quiet and reserved also. I also like to be alone at times and go into my shell for my down time which is more of who i am.

The "I" wants to know it's not. So, it seeks the end of itself. Hurray, there never was an "I". 

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, Squeekytoy said:

I think that's an introvert. Being able to socialize doesn't make you an extrovert necessarily. I don't have a problem socializing but I'm definitely an introvert.

Here's what ChatGPT said when I asked it just now (a customized version instructed to be more concise and to the point):

Me: When is someone an introvert or an extrovert? What makes it be one or the other?

ChatGPT: Introverts and extroverts differ mainly in how they gain energy. Introverts recharge by spending time alone, finding social interactions draining after a while. Extroverts, on the other hand, gain energy from being around others, feeling energized by social interactions. It's not about shyness or outgoingness, but about how someone responds to social stimulation. Personality traits like these are complex and can vary greatly among individuals. Some people might also fall somewhere in the middle, often called ambiverts.

Maybe i'm an ambivert leaning more towards introverted. It's true I do tend to want to recharge after being out say a night of socializing. I tend to not want to do that say two nights in a row r even three. Three days in-between or more is good for me, but I can, if I have to, do a back-to-back; but then I'll need a week off..lol.

I'm talking about drinking and partying even if it's just me and one other, not just going to the mall or dinner etc.

Edited by Princess Arabia

I'm an introvert.  Being one doesn't mean you have trouble speaking to people, but too much of it is draining.  Extroverts are drained by being alone too much.

There are shy extroverts and socially confident introverts.  That has nothing to do with the concepts.