Ima Freeman

How to dance passionately?

16 posts in this topic

After some time, I went to a techno party again. At first I wanted to enjoy the party sober, but took a little bit of amphetamine with me just in case it fitted the situation. The drive for pleasure took over and I consumed it after dancing and socializing for some time.

It did really feel good to express myself enjoying the music and atmosphere and interact with the people around me. 

The thing is, I would never be able to dance this inhibited without drugs. I tried it multiple times. Stimulants especially speed and MDMA are such great keys for feeling alright and well in ones skin. I dislike that they are toxic to the brain and the comedown is unpleasent. I dislike that they subtract from my bodily and mental capabilities.

But dancing is such a great way for me to get more comfortable with my body, developing confidence and mingle with the opposite sex. All of which I am heavily deficient in. 

I would like to get to such a state in a healthier way. Does anyone here enjoy dancing and is proficient in expressing oneself in a satisfying way without drugs. And what are ways to get there.

I love dancing. Have freestyle danced for 20 years now. Started with Hip Hop but have developed my own style throughout the years.

By far, my most favourite hobby, since it also scratches my creative itch too.

Personally 2 things have helped me the most.

1. Self-love work, inner-work, confidence work.

2. Dancing to music that naturally inspires me to dance. Music that I love.

Connect with me on IG: instagram.com/miguetran

Posted (edited)

Thought of sharing a clip of me dancing freestyle. It's short due to the forum's uploading limit but it drives the point of me knowing what I am talking about.

The biggest key of my freestyling is just letting the music take me over. But I need to enjoy the music for it to happen. As you can see, you can hear me expressing the music very clearly if you properly listen to the music.

Allowing the music to take over my body and mind is the way to let go and dance.

combine.mp4

--

Edit: ahh I thought the video would be uploaded here and you can just watch it here through the forum's own integrated videoplayer but seems like clicking that link will download the video to you computer.

Edited by Miguel1

Connect with me on IG: instagram.com/miguetran

@Miguel1 Nice skills you have.

Do you go out dancing too, or is it more of a personal thing for you?

1 hour ago, Ima Freeman said:

After some time, I went to a techno party again. At first I wanted to enjoy the party sober, but took a little bit of amphetamine with me just in case it fitted the situation. The drive for pleasure took over and I consumed it after dancing and socializing for some time.

It did really feel good to express myself enjoying the music and atmosphere and interact with the people around me. 

The thing is, I would never be able to dance this inhibited without drugs. I tried it multiple times. Stimulants especially speed and MDMA are such great keys for feeling alright and well in ones skin. I dislike that they are toxic to the brain and the comedown is unpleasent. I dislike that they subtract from my bodily and mental capabilities.

But dancing is such a great way for me to get more comfortable with my body, developing confidence and mingle with the opposite sex. All of which I am heavily deficient in. 

I would like to get to such a state in a healthier way. Does anyone here enjoy dancing and is proficient in expressing oneself in a satisfying way without drugs. And what are ways to get there.

I go to 5 rhythms every week, you can also try ecstatic dance - those groups are kind of a safe space for you to put yourself out there through dance. Highly recommend

What can be helpful is if you try to dance at home, make it a habit. This works for me because by default, Im not really in touch with my body or sensations so dancing can get me out of my head and turn my focus inward. Play your favourite music and just enjoy yourself, it would be weird if someone sees you but it's the same thing as talking to yourself lol

My recommendation: Look up places where they do Cacao ceremonies with ecstatic dance afterwards. Hands down the best dance parties I've ever been to (because nobody there stands around with a drink in their hand and a goofy look on their face... everyone is there to dance), and the perfect place to let go of your inhibitions with the aid of Mama Cacao! B|

Why so serious?

3 hours ago, Bazooka Jesus said:

My recommendation: Look up places where they do Cacao ceremonies with ecstatic dance afterwards. Hands down the best dance parties I've ever been to (because nobody there stands around with a drink in their hand and a goofy look on their face... everyone is there to dance), and the perfect place to let go of your inhibitions with the aid of Mama Cacao! B|

Funnily enough, I am going to participate in one in two weeks  :D

Just now, Ima Freeman said:

Funnily enough, I am going to participate in one in two weeks  :D

Attaboy! I am sure you'll be having a great time. ;)

Why so serious?

There is no right way to dance unless you’re on a talent show

“Every sunrise is an invitation to brighten the world with your own unique light.“ - ChatGPT

Just now, Ima Freeman said:

Yeah, but anyways that was not my question

There is no right or wrong way to dance passionately.

“Every sunrise is an invitation to brighten the world with your own unique light.“ - ChatGPT

Posted (edited)

I personally love to dance where no one is watching me. It allows me to let loose. I was doing Qigong for a while but for me that was too ridged, so I trsansition to just slow dancing, and moving my body in whichever way I feel like it. It’s been very useful combining the meditation with the Qigong, and dancing. I think it’s super useful way of getting me to relax and getting me in a flow state; especially when I’m stressed and my mind is overactive. 

Edited by Noahsteelers34

@Yimpa

But your ability to translate your passion into bodily movement is something you can improve.
It is like learning a language, and with time it becomes more effortless and playful.

9 hours ago, Noahsteelers34 said:

It’s been very useful combining the meditation with the Qigong, and dancing. I think it’s super useful way of getting me to relax and getting me in a flow state; especially when I’m stressed and my mind is overactive. 

👍

Absolutely. For me, my regular meditation practice didn't really "click" before I started doing Qi Gong every time right before sitting down on the cushion... and combining that with ecstatic dance (and ideally energy healing therapy) is just crazy good. 9_9

Why so serious?

1 hour ago, Ima Freeman said:

@Yimpa

But your ability to translate your passion into bodily movement is something you can improve.
It is like learning a language, and with time it becomes more effortless and playful.

Absolutely! You’re an amazing dancer… continue to learn from other amazing dancers and trust yourself, love :)